We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Aruba in early May!

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Aruba in early May!

And with all the insanely cold weather I have the trip on my mind CONSTANTLY!!! I know it is super early but I am looking into restaurants to start making reservations so it is out of the way...and there is SO MUCH to choose from! We got some great recs from friends who have been before but I was hoping to get some feedback from the experts here as well :) So far this is what I have:

Flying in on a Sunday afternoon, staying at Bucuti...

Sunday: Hoping to try either Elements or the romantic private palapa dining at Bucuti so we don't have to venture out too far after a long travel day...anyone have experience with either of these, having a hard time choosing

Monday: El Gaucho

Tuesday: Madame Jeanette

Wednesday: Sunset Sail offered by Bucuti (any experience with this?) and a late dinner at Papiamento

Thursday: Sunset beach dinner...Flying Fishbone or Barefoot...which do you all recommend?

Friday: French Steakhouse

Unfortunately Saturday we head home :( Any comments, suggestions, other recs most welcome!!!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

You will love Aruba and Bucuti. Restaurant opinions are subjective and vary from person to person. I can vouch for Barefoot. It is much closer to Bucuti than Flying Fishbone. The food, ambiance and service are all excellent.

I am not a fan of French Steakhouse. Recommend Windows On Aruba instead.

Are you renting a car? If not, I recommend an island tour. Check the various itineraries offered by ABC Jeep Tours in Aruba. For another casual dining option, walk over to Matthews. It is located on the beach behind Aruba Beach Club. Turn right when leaving Bucuti. ABC is the 2nd hotel. Walk through the hotel and out the back exit.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
18 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

We stayed at Bucuti & Tara last month. Elements is a great place to eat. Had a few lunches and a dinner there just because it was so convenient. Never disappointed. We also did the dinner in the palapa on the beach one night. Very romantic. They offer 2 times per evening per palapa for this dinner. There are 4 palapas. We reserved one last minute with no problem but could be an issue some evenings. Just something to keep in mind.

We heard nothing but good things about Carte Blanche which is also right at Bucuti. That is a place you will want to book in advance if you are interested. It's an intimate 5 course dinner with only around 15 people per evening.

If you are looking for a casual dinner, I recommend Pizza Bob's directly across the street. Mexican pizza is great and they have giant mugs of Balashi, Aruba's beer, for $14. We would bring leftovers back to our room.

Just FYI, the Sunset Sail sells out fast. Book this in advance. We were on the waiting list but didn't make it. I heard people talking about how they were surprised how good the food on the cruise was.

Unfortunately, we didn't eat at any of the other places you mentioned.

NJ
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

Barefoot is a must on our list. We will be at the Bucuti in early May as well. Try making a reservation at Carte Blanche, it books very far in advance. Not a fan of French Steakhouse . We always go to El Gaucho & Madame Jeanette's as well. We had our anniversary dinner at Windows as Tony suggested and it was very good.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

Yes, we love Madame Janettes, El Gaucho and French Steakhouse, since you'll have steak at El Gaucho you may wish to replace the French Steakhouse with a seafood place - we suggest Driftwood for fine local dishes.

=======================

driftwoodaruba.com/index_restaurant.php

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

I had dinner at Elements around Halloween. It was excellent. Went right to my top 3 or 4 in Aruba.

Barefoot over Flying Fishbone. I would swap out Monday or Friday for ''Aruba White Modern.''

NJ
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

EDS, looking forward to trying Elements!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

Also for a casual dinner or lunch on the beach try Matthews. It is in walking distance from Bucuti and you can get there from the beach. Also, hearing a lot of good things about Ricardos next to Matthews also on the beach near Bucuti. We love Pinchos (sp) and all so next door at Machebo's is Ikes Bistro, very good and it is at the same resort as the French Steak House (which I would skip).

Edited: 11 January 2014, 02:11
warrington
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

How much should I expect to pay for a meal for 2 at restaurants like El Gaucho and Elements? We'd probably be having a starter, a steak for the main, and 2/3 drinks each (beer for me, wine for the better half). We don't usually go for fancy/expensive meals, we like to keep it casual!!! Thanks.

NJ
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

Never ate at Elements, wasn't there last year. El Gaucho should run you about $100-125 for the selections you mentioned above.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Aruba in early May!

If you like casual and are fans of fish, try Wacky Wahoo.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach