We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or credit?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corona, California
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or credit?

My preference is to use credit cards whenever and let them determine the exchange rate. However, I wondered how much it is necessary to have cash here. Should I get some cash, or could I go plastic all the way?

thanks!

Misty

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or credit?

Cash.

Virtually every thing is price in US dollars, especially restaurants and tourist areas.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or credit?

There is a pegged exchange rate between UD dollars and Florins so little to worry about - rate is fixed at 1 dollare to 1.788 +/- florins and can vary only very little from merchant to merchant.

massachusettes
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or credit?

Most credit cards( except discover and maybe some AE cards(not mine)) charge a foreign charge fee of 5% I believe. We always bring cash with us as you need it for taxis and we like to stick to our vacation budget. We only use our credit card if we rent a car or book on line excursions.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or credit?

cash is safest..we use credit card for hotel,air and car only

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or credit?

I have aways been concerned about carrying a great sum of cash, if I ever lost it or had it stolen it is gone forever. With my credit cards I'm certain of zero liability if they are stolen or misused and with Chase there is no added fee for use on Aruba..

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or credit?

I love the Capital One credit card (thanks, jl!)--there are no foreign transaction fees and you accumulate two points for every dollar you spend. You can then use your points balance to "erase" travel expenses: I got my card in January and three weeks ago, I erased a week of car rental in California, two nights of hotel in Liverpool, England and flights between Dublin/Bristol/Liverpool/Dublin.

BEST. CARD. EVER.

New England
Level Contributor
928 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or credit?

Go to the ATMs located all over the island if you need cash

Princeton Junction...
Level Contributor
239 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash or credit?

I never use cash except at the supermarket. Once you get to the register you will see the exchange. Most of the time I use credit for everything. No hassle whatsoever have I ever had. You will see your charges in dollars. Most everything takes dollars, including the huge flea market located by the docks.

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash or credit?

We use credit card for most every thing in Aruba. But, I do bring about $400 in cash to use for taxi's, tips, movie's, etc. Usually come home with $100-$150 left over.

And we also have the Capital One Venture card; it is great for "building up" points for future travel and erasing some fees from prior travel expenses.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash or credit?

I'm all about the Marriott Visa for purchases at the Marriott properties. We tend to use our Amex at most restaurants. Paying the balance each month keeps us honest, and again, the points are a nice benefit!

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach