We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

new york
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Have a few questions about Occidental:

1) are ther any bugs/mosquitoes I should be worried about and take OFF with me?

2) is there a safe in the room?

3) what's the best way to call from Aruba to US?

All inputs will be much appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

i just got back from aruba, and there was hardly any bugs mos/or flys...only one day when there were no winds did we see any....i think it is too windy there for them (lol)..... as far as a cell phone goes there are plenty of places to rent them...including at the airport..just google aruba cell phone...as far as safes in occidental that i cant answer i have never stayed there...but would be interested to hear how it is when u get back

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

We haven't had problems with the bugs, but I've heard of people who have...so you might want to bring the OFF with you just to be on the safe side.

Don't know about a safe at the Occidental.

If you want to rent a cell phone, we've always rented from Charles at Aruba Fast Phones...very reliable service. If you don't want to rent a cell phone, then buy a Ventaha phone card (you can find them in gas stations, and lots of gift shops, etc.). They're very reasonable, and easy to use. But just make sure you are using a regular public payphone. The first time we went to Aruba (and before I knew about the calling cards, cell phone rentals), I went to a 'blue' pay phone and inserted my credit card. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that a call to NY that was less than 5 minutes cost upwards of $30!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

I actually got really bitten up during dinner at the flying fishbone - the waiter actually commented that the mosquitos were out because the wind had died down that evening. I would bring some OFF just in case - i actually got really huge welts from these bites - not like the little ones I normally get in New england....

new york
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Thanks a lot for all suggestions!!! So glad I asked about bugs, cause hubby can't tolerate to be bitten. Packing "OFF" tonight. Safe information was a lack of research on my side - there are safes in each room(accroding to their website). Thanks for the calling card name - writing it down to remember.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

We now always bring OFF since sometimes they come out and go after my Husband. Rent a phone from Arubafastphones, may be better then the calling card. Have a great trip

orlando
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Did you try www.arubadiscountcell it's worthed you don't have to pay anything try and see.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Just got back from Occidental. yes safe is in room, had no noticible bug issues. I did see an exterminator wandering around one day, but we never say a a bug.

No idea about cell phones. We did not need one.

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
544 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Also just back from the Occidental- it was not noticeably windy while we were there, and we didn't notice any bugs.

Also, we used the safe with no problems- I was a little nervous, remembering a prior post about someone having trouble, and the safe having to be opened with a Drill. The directions are right on the safe, and it's pretty foolproof.

You will love the Occidental- we did eat dinner out though, since we tired of the food at the Hotel, and we did eat in the reservation restaurants. But even for breakfast, lunch and drinks, the AI is worth it!

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
544 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

Also, forgot to mention that we used out cell phone/blackberry with no problem- but we do have an international plan.

10. Re: Bugs, Safe, Phone calls (Occidental Grand Aruba)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach