We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bermuda babymoon in January

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bermuda babymoon in January

My husband and I are expecting our second child in March or April and are hoping to go away for a quick babymoon beforehand. We don’t want to leave our 2 year old for too long, so want to limit the trip to around 5 days (coming from Toronto). Given our schedules and my due date, we are probably looking at a January trip. We have been having a really tough time picking a destination since most close enough destinations are either having bad/winter weather or are zika areas (eg carribean). We are now considering Bermuda. I know January is winter there and it won’t be warm enough for swimming in the ocean, etc. but I am trying to figure out if it could still be an enjoyable trip for us, with decent weather. Since I will be towards the end of my pregnancy, we won’t be doing overly active things (no golf, horseback riding or strenuous hikes) but would want to relax (e.g., is it warm enough to lay by the pool and read a book?), enjoy some patio lunches, walk on the beach to appreciate the views, etc? I know that if we had more flexibility it would be better to go at a different time of year, but that just isn’t possible for us. So trying to gauge whether or not the trip is still worthwhile. I know no one can predict the weather but any input from people who know the general weather trends better than I do would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies to this topic
baltimore
Level Contributor
776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

Fairmount South Hampton- and some people do swim year-round especially Canadians

USA
Level Contributor
30,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

>>>...would want to relax (e.g., is it warm enough to lay by the pool and read a book?), enjoy some patio lunches, walk on the beach to appreciate the views, etc?...<<<

Given your situation and criteria...Bermuda would be a great destination for you.

As you've noted, no one can predict the weather for any specific period of a planned vacation. ('..past performance is no guarantee of future results..'). You can check the '..CLIMATE..' averages at the Bermuda Weather Service for a reasonable expectation of general conditions...which is about as good as it gets--

http://www.weather.bm/climate.asp

...beyond this-- http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html .....

But in general terms for January in Bermuda....daytime Air Temps should run in a range from the mid-60°s to low-70°s (6°-8° coller in the evening)...with Ocean Water Temps in the mid-60°s...chillier than mere mortals find comfortable for swimming in the ocean but often downright 'toasty' for hardier denizens of the '..Great White North..'.. Perhaps the best news will be that none of that water will be frozen (unless it comes in tall glass with a paper umbrella). So, weather should be warm enough for lounging by a pool or stroolling along a pink sand beach...for leisurely lunches on a dining deck or terrace overlooking an aquamarine ocean...general tourig about Bermuda's incredible natural beauties and many small charms. And if you get nostalgic about life back home...you can stop out at Somer's Garden in Saint George's and watch people glide along on '..synthetic ice..').

For hotel choices (since 'beach' probably won't be high priority in January), I'd be inclined to suggest properties in/around downtown Hamilton. Hamilton is the practical 'center' of Bermuda, with the largest concentrations of alternative dining, shopping and nightlife. Hamilton is also the nexus for Bermuda's excellent public transpportation system--buses and ferries for getting out 'n about. A few fine choices here would be--

HAMILTON PRINCESS HOTEL--

https://www.thehamiltonprincess.com/

ROSEDON HOTEL--

http://rosedon.com/

ROYAL PALMS HOTEL--

https://www.royalpalms.bm/

NEWSTEAD-BELMONT HILLS--

www.newsteadbelmonthills.com/en/default.html

If I were picking just one....it would be the lovely little ROSEDON HOTEL, with a heated pool, set in a 'botanic garden' ....the very best of '..olde Bermuda..' charm, hospitality and ambiance...a short stroll to downtown.

P.S.....watch the Bermuda Tourism web site-- http://www.gotobermuda.com/ --for Winter/Off Season Sales and Promotions

Edited: 15 October 2017, 16:36
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

Bermuda53 - Thanks for the reply. Ha ha. Yes, anything will be better than the weather in Toronto I’m sure! I guess we would have to just keep our fingers crossed that we don’t get five days of rain and gloom. I think as long as the sun was out, even if it was only 15 to 20°C, we would be happy! We had actually been looking at the Fairmont South Hampton – any reason in particular you recommend that hotel?

Edited: 15 October 2017, 16:38
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

KDKSAIL - Thanks for all the great info! I really appreciate it. Going to check our your links now!

baltimore
Level Contributor
776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

pool and next to Horseshoe bay

Toronto
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

Dear Europa513: I'm also from Toronto. I've been in January a number of times and generally found the following:

1. During the daytime I'll wear shorts and a light shirt and then switch to long pants in the late afternoon. Take a light windbreaker.

2. The water temperature for swimming is much like swimming in Ontario lakes in early summer.

3. The weather can be quite variable so if you don't like the weather try a different part of the island - it can be rainy in one place and sunny in another.

4. It is certainly warm enough to sit on a patio and for eating outside.

Have a great trip.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

BillOnSafari - thank you so much for your input, this is exactly the type of info I had been looking for! I have obviously looked at the online weather info, but personal perspective from someone who has been is so much more helpful! Sounds like Bermuda in January might be worth the gamble and our best option right now. After 2 years with a toddler, and preparing for our second, I am sure anywhere we can relax and sleep in for a bit will be an enjoyable break! Thanks again!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

One more question - someone else recommended the Fairmont Southampton. We have looked into this hotel and are considering it. However, we are also considering Cambridge Beaches and (in particular) The Reefs. They look a bit smaller and more intimate, which we generally like. Although I know the weather won't be particularly warm, I still want to be able to be near the beach, since I don't get the option to be near the ocean very often living in Toronto! Any reasons that these smaller hotels would be a bad idea in off season? I have looked at the pictures online and it The Reefs seems to be the hotel that I think would be the best fit for us but, as always, I would love to hear the perspectives of others who have been to the island! All 3 hotels have pretty good deals on for the winter season it seems.

USA
Level Contributor
30,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

>...we are also considering Cambridge Beaches and (in particular) The Reefs. They look a bit smaller and more intimate, which we generally like. Although I know the weather won't be particularly warm, I still want to be able to be near the beach, since I don't get the option to be near the ocean very often living in Toronto! Any reasons that these smaller hotels would be a bad idea in off season? I have looked at the pictures online and it The Reefs seems to be the hotel that I think would be the best fit for us...<<<

Not a single, substantive reason in the world for not considering these properties for your stay, if you believe that they might suit your preferences, priorities, special needs better., EITHER would be a perfectly FINE choice. Both have fine dining options (among the best in Bermuda). If there are any '..catches..' to these properties during the Winter/Off season it is that while both a 'beachfront' they aren't served as well or conveniently by public and private transportation options as the FSH, for getting out 'n about. Consider GOLD ROOM options for additiopnal hotel & Conierge services.

And...while the '..beach..' at each is closer than at the Reefs or CB....the private beachclub at the FSH is directly adjacent (100 yards or so) to Bermuda's ** SPECTACULAR ** South Shore Park. This is an approx. 1¼--1½ stretch of absolutely wonderful shore from the sweeping crescent of the world famous HORSESHOE BAY to the long, thin strand of pink sand at WARWICK LONG BAY with several, smaller, semi-secluded, rock-crenellated coves and beaches in between. You can beachcomb down along the foreshore and walk along the sandy foottpaths though the dunes behind and along the clifftops above this magnificent stretch of Bermuda. If there's a more SCENIC walk in all of Bermuda...I ain't come across it in several decades of lookin'-- http://tinyurl.com/jaa6cr9 .... http://tinyurl.com/zz8hp85 .... http://tinyurl.com/jd8rgau )

Ordinarily...I've always believed that '..smaller is better in Bermuda...more 'Right'..' for a destination like tiny Bermuda but...during Winter/Off season (when 'beach isn't as high a priority)...the larger FSH MAY be the better all 'round choice...better transportation connectivity (FSH offers free, private ferry service between the property and downtown Hamiltn)...arguably the best Spa (Willow Stream) in Bermuda...more varied dining options...a small, on-premises shopping arcade to '..kill time..'...and the proximity of the wonderful SOUTH SHORE PARK.

But...ya' can't possibly'.. lose..' with ANY of these choices.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 18:05
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bermuda babymoon in January

KDKSAIL - Thanks for the great tips, and the beautiful pictures! It looks so beautiful. Now just keeping our fingers crossed that we will get at least one day of sunshine on our trip, so that we can appreciate that beautiful blue of the ocean!!!

Reply to: Bermuda babymoon in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted