We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

I stayed at Greenbank Cottages located on the harbor. I really enjoyed the peace and quiet, beautiful views and easy access to the ferry which takes you into Hamilton.

I'm looking to try another similar type property. Not interested in the big tourist hotels. Can't understand why folks want a resort with everything so they never leave. All they see of the island is what they pass by in the taxi from the airport to their hotel. I'd prefer something small and intimate. Access to the ferry is helpful for evening jaunts into Hamilton when it's too dark to ride scooters comfortably.

I've heard Salt Kettle Guesthouse is good and it's right near Greenbank. Any recommendations?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Look ito Waterloo House. It's in central Hamilton just a block from the ferry. Great food, excellent rooms, a bit pricey.

sp
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Even though it's not close to Hamilton, I would try Munro Cottages in the west end (www.munrobeach.com). It's only a 5 minute scooter ride to the Somerset ferry. This location is fabulous if you want peace & quiet. The colour of the water here will amaze you. There is a small beach and the water is very calm. The nearest grocery store is close by - near the Somerset ferry. I wouldn't hesitate using the scooter at night coming back from the ferry as it is a very short ride and the traffic at this end of the island is not crazy like it is near Hamilton. If it still bothers you, then maybe go into Hamilton for a late lunch and then eat in your cottage at night - which I would do anyways because the sunset here will literally take your breath away - once you see it you won't want to miss it. Another plus with this end of the island is the Dockyard - it's not far away by scooter - again - it's not nerve-wracking on the scooter with way less traffic. After experiencing the difference with the traffic, we would never consider using a scooter again near Hamilton if we were to stay around there (which is highly unlikely after discovering the advantages of the west end).

USA
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Hazel Lowes' SALT KETTLE HOUSE get great to rave reviews from many of its past guests and has one of the very highest repeat-visit rates on Bermuda. If you've stayed at Greenbank, then you know the location and access details. Salt Kettle House offers both regular guest rooms and suites with kitchens for preparing some of your own meals. The only meal provided at Salt Kettle House is a great English breakfast.

For other small guesthouse/apartment accommodations, check out:

ASTWOOD COVE--49 South Road, Warwick (located directly across the South Rd. from Astwood Park) http://www.astwoodcove.com/

For a small hotel, convenient to downtown Hamilton: check out:

ROSEDON HOTEL--Pitts Bay Road & Rosedon Ave, Hamilton (directly across from the Hamilton Princess) http://www.rosedonbermuda.com/ (The only meals served are breakfast and a light afternoon Tea)

One of the very best small, full service, hotel bargains on Bermuda is the All-Inclusive

HARMONY CLUB, 109 South Road, Paget http://www.harmonyclub.com/

USA
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Another harbourfront/Great Sound guest accommodations option that you might check out are the three(3) guest rooms at well known Bermuda artist, Carol Holding's, home on Harbour Road, WATERCOLOURS. The property is located a short stroll down the Harbour Rd. from the BELMONT ferry stop on the same Paget/Warwick ferry route.

Basic information available at: http://www.bermudagetaway.com/

USA
Level Contributor
27,706 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

Another harbourfront/Great Sound guest accommodations option that you might check out are the three(3) guest rooms at well known Bermuda artist, Carol Holding's, home on Harbour Road, WATERCOLOURS. The property is located a short stroll down the Harbour Rd. from the BELMONT ferry stop on the same Paget/Warwick ferry route.

Basic information available at: http://www.bermudagetaway.com/

K.C.
Level Contributor
6 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

I do like Grotto Bay, which is only a few minutes from the airport. It's not like a big hotel, and has a very comfortable feel about it. The dining room is alot of fun, especially with the fams, and the brunch on Sunday is excellent!

Another suggestion is the Oxford House, located in Hamilton. It's locally owned and alot of fun. If you want to stay in St. George's Aunt Nea's Inn, which is a restored old house is also very nice. You're a half an hour's ride from Hamilton, but I love the laid back atmosphere that St. George's has to offer.

Hope this of help!

Mike

Bermuda
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay that's not a resort hotel

I would recommend Horizons and Cottages, in Paget only 10 min from Hamilton. Web site www.horizonscottages.com.

The people who own the property aslo own Waterloo House and Coral Beach Club so you can use all three for dinners, going to the best beach on the island and it is a private club so you won't get alot of tourist there. Excellent food and service