We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise or Stay?

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise or Stay?

We are planning a trip to Bermuda in August. Cost is an issue because we are tying this trip in with a short visit to New York (two or three nights) from the UK.

Originally we planned to do the Norwegian Cruiselines cruise as the hotel prices are pretty hefty. However, we have found that some of the guest house prices are much better.

Has anyone done both - eg. stayed in a guest house or apartments and also done the cruise? Which would you recommend?

We are two adults - late thirties and we'll be travelling without our kids for a change. So, I suppose one of the reasons we're unsure about the cruise is kids - we love them, but we're worried there'll be heaps of them on the ship, which is something we hope to avoid.

Dining experience - we're getting the impression that a big part of a Bermuda vacation would be the dining experience. Will we be missing out on it if we cruise instead?

Costs - has anyone done both and compared the costs? We know food etc is included on the cruise. But drinks, spa treatments, tips etc aren't. Would we really save that much by cruising by the time we've paid for all the extras?

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise or Stay?

hi cindsno1

I will reply to you although I have never cruised to anywhere. I am in favor of staying on the island. I often think that the cruise ship is your destination while the islands you visit are side trips. The island of Bermuda is so lovely and friendly I would want to spend as much time that I could there. Money could be a factor depending upon what property you may choose. There are many and in all different catagories. The ship will offer good value, but I think you could do just as well price wise staying on island. Ask questions here and read all the past threads. This is a great forum for information. We can help you decide. also, Airfare from the NY metro area is at a good price now.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise or Stay?

Thanks - we've decided to stay on the island at Salt Kettle House. It sounds perfect for us and the prices are great for Bermuda.

Now we will be flying in from the UK, then flying from Bermuda to New York - in August. When would be the best time to book our flight? Which airline and booking agent should we use and what price per person would be good for one way? Thank you.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise or Stay?

I think that maybe you should be doing some of the research yourself. It's asking a bit much to expect someone to tell you when to book etc. Perhaps come back on with some ideas and perhaps someone will venture an opinion. Where are you coming from in the UK for example. Are you flying back to the UK from New York or going on somewhere else? Bermuda may want to see a return or ongoing ticket.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise or Stay?

I do believe that when arriving in Bermuda, they will want to see your outgoing ticket. While they welcome tourists....they do not want us there for long. With that thought...I just checked with Continental (the airline that I use for travel from the NYC area to Bermuda) and the one way fare for September 20 is 199.00 per person including taxes and fees. Should you purchase now or later? That is a game we all play here. There are many more airlines that service Bermuda from our area, I just don't like to go in and out of any port other than Newark or Atlantic City.

good luck

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise or Stay?

cindso1 says that they are flying in to Bermuda from the UK and then going to New York which is why it is more complicated to answer their questions if we are living in Canada or the U.S. Flights to Bermuda from the U.K. are probably limited to London, but flying back from New York they would have a much better choice of flights to many of the smaller airports in the U.K.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise or Stay?

2 reasons to cruise: hurricanes & price of food. We went to Bermuda on our first cruise for our 25th anniversary. We took Celebrity Zenith (no longer owned by Celebrity & it now goes out of New Jersey).

Anyway, we did hit a tropical storm on the way to Bermuda from New York, but the hotel we would have stayed in was closed because of damage from a previous hurricane a few weeks earlier. Had we chose to do the hotel, we would have been out of luck. My brother went to Bermuda years ago and said the cost of eating there is as expensive as staying a night in a room there. Food is included on your cruise, so that's not a problem. Also, we found that 5pm all the stores close up. So if you want to do activities, the ship always has something going on. I'd suggest a cruise over a hotel in Bermuda. Just my opinion.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise or Stay?

Well, if there's a hurricane your ship could be diverted and you may never get to Bermuda, but end up in Halifax, N.S. Not that there is anything wrong with Halifax but it isn't Bermuda. Food costs depend very much on where you eat, the same as in your hometown. Plenty of reasonable places, meals don't need to cost the earth. No comparison between cruising and staying on the island. We go for a couple of weeks every year and we are by no means millionaires. Wouldn't dream of going there on a cruise. We rent a house or apartment, eat out at least once every day, breakfast in the house, snacks etc. and have a wonderful time.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise or Stay?

Senior, your message was enlightening. We might go back to Bermuda someday and this time we will consider staying there instead of cruising. For us, for a first time trip to Bermuda, the cruise was fun. I admit we could have seen more than we did.

IOM
Level Contributor
305 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise or Stay?

Since Zoom Airlines started flying to Bermuda, airfare from the UK has improved. However, it will still be considerably more than going to Bermuda via New York. Continental Airlines fly from several UK airports to Newark and the costs are pretty good.

In order to appreciate Bermuda you really need to stay there. Salt Kettle is a nice area, but unless you rent scooters you may end up paying a fortune in taxis. For alternatives check out Rosedon Guesthouse and Royal Palms Hotel. Both of these are in easy walking distance of Hamilton for nights out.

Public transport is convenient and cheap for getting around during the day. The main bus terminal and ferry terminal are also in easy wakling distance of both of these properties.

As with everywhere, some restaurants are expensive, some are not. It is usually the drinks that push the price up (including on a cruise). Bermuda has a massive selection of good restaurants to suit all budgets and appetites.

Have a great time doing your research.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise or Stay?

excellent comments from Manexpete! There are loads of options out there for Bermuda! If you are not adventurous it could be alittle intimedating sorting it all out for someone who has never been there. My first trip there I stayed at the Reefs (30 years ago) and since then I have stayed at many other properties. Some high end and some not for various reasons. Now we only stay at the Reefs. After researhing here, and what I know about the island, I would have no problem trying another place. I would never cruise to Bermuda. But it could be a good choice for the 1st timer.