We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to 9 Beaches

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to 9 Beaches

Hi

New to Bermuda. Can anyone tell me how long a drive it is from the airport to 9 Beaches? It looks like it is a very long ride.

Any interisland flights available???

Looks like there is only 1 airport??

Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

There are no interisland flights available since there is only one airport. Depending on the time of day the drive time can vary but I would count on it taking about 45 minutes.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

Good evening,

I live in Somerset - only a few minutes from 9 Beaches. We are at the opposite end of the island from the airport so even though the island is only 23 miles long .. it can take approx 45 mins drive (because our speed limit is supposed to be quite slow). However, if you are taking a cab - ask to take the South Shore road for the scenic route (no additional time to go that road) and get a tour out of the drive. The cab drivers are all fabulous and very knowledgeable about our home.

If you are travelling light you can just bus or cab it to Hamilton (approx 15/20 mins from the airport) and then catch a ferry to Dockyard or Somerset (20mins) ... a minibus can then pick you up.

The public transportation (buses and ferries) have unlimited travel with passes - a 1 day pass is $12 and a 2 day pass is $20 etc. which will save you quite a bit on cab fare if you are looking to save cost rather than time.

If you are coming in the summer season there are direct ferries from St George (5 mins from the airport) to Dockyard.

Hope this helps! I am sure 9 Beaches can help you out further if you need to.

No interisland flights ... we are too small ... the islands are all connected by bridges .. and the little ones in the harbour you can swim or kayak too :)

Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

Thanks the info was very helpful. I appreciate all the help.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

if i was arriving mid day, when most flights arrive, and only had carry-on baggage, i would get the bus or taxi into st. georges and from there i would catch the ferry to dockyard and from there i would call 9 beaches and have them send their van around to pick me up from dockyard. probably take about the same amount of time, but for a fraction of the cost.

USA
Level Contributor
29,131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

On an island that is only twenty-one(21) miles from end-to-end, one airport is sufficient (in theory at least, the main runway could be an emergency landing site for the Space Shuttle) intra-island flights scarcely seem necessary. There used to be a commercial helicopter charter/tour operator that operated on Bermuda back in the late-90's...but I don't even think this exists any more.

The total driving distance from airport to the 9 Beaches Resort ss probably no more than 18-19 miles from the airport...but at 22 MPH (which seems 'fast enough' on Bermuda) taxi ride will be a VERY PLEASANT 45 minute ride. Be sure to ask the driver to take the South Road route. '..Picturesque doesn't even beigin to cover it. There will be some genuine 'take your breath away' views along the way.

Mentioned in this post
South Road
South Road
9 Reviews
Bermuda
Maryland
Level Contributor
833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

We were at 9 Beaches this past April and just loved it.

The drive from the airport was a breeze. Once you exit the airport, taxi's are lined up waiting to take you wherever. Granted the ride wasn't cheap, but since you are basically going from one end of the island to the other, you get a chance to see it. Our driver was great and told us alot about the different areas we were going through.

Also, ask him to stop off at the store and you can pick up some stuff to keep in your cabana for snacks and beverages.

Enjoy your trip. I'm jealous and can't wait to go back.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
89 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

Oh, I am excited to find this thread! We will be staying at 9 Beaches in early April and are so looking forward to it!

Bermuda
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

Check with 9 Beaches ..

when they first opened a few years ago they wanted me to join them at their Asst "Director of Fun" ... they talked about running a shuttle boat from Somerset Bridge to the hotel for a different experience .. I think they did it ...but not sure if it is still one of the services ... but worth an ask as the ride through Elys Harbour and around Daniels head is stunning!!!

While you are there .. you should rent a boston whaler or kayaks and explore that whole area .. there are 2 National trust tiny tiny islands in Elys harbour that are public .. so you can pull your kayak or boat up on the beach and have a private get away. ... (just make sure you tie your whaler off to the palm tree rather than pulling it up on the beach if it is high tide as the tides can go out fast and leave your boat stranded!)

Great snorkelling in this area .. giant parrotfish (the 3foot type that come right into the shallows) make this area their home ...as do Chelonia - the green sea turtles - this is a feeding ground for them ...so the harbour is a no wake zone. If you drop anchor or tie up to a mooring and sit off for a little while you are sure to hear them puff as they break the surface before you see them.

I have grown up in Somerset and in these parts .. and lived in Elys Harbour on a boat for 7 years .. and know the whole area like the back of my hand.

You will love the area! The only down side to 9Beaches quite honestly is that it is adjacent to our local farm (sheep and cows) ... so if the wind is in the wrong direction on a very still humid day ... the smell of nature can be a put off to some people.

You may want to request a cabana with A/C .. they didnt used to have them in all units .. but I know they talked about changing that after the first season ... that being the case.. you will be fine.

I have had mixed reviews on the food service (not many locals as restaurant staff ... i found it not that brill) ... but there are always plenty of food options if you find that to be the case ...mind you .. a lot can change in from season to season . and I am sure as with any new resort ..they keep improving as needed.

enjoy!!!

sun

Mentioned in this post
Somerset Bridge
Somerset Bridge
35 Reviews
Bermuda
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Maryland
Level Contributor
833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

When we were there we took a nice walk around the grounds and checked out the other cabanas. If you get one of the cabanas near the entrance and the wind is blowing in a certain direction, you could catch a pasture smell.

We had cabana #45 which I feel is the best on the entire resort (even better than paradise pier...too many people stop and stare and take pictures...i want privacy).

There is a unit in each cabana that has both heat and AC. When we were there in April we did not need the AC at all. At night, maybe a little heat.

The menu was ecclectic enough that there was something for everyone I thought. The portions were large and you could easily share.

If I recall, I believe the water shuttle no longer runs to 9 Beaches. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

My husband and I and our 16 and 18 year old loved the laid back atmosphere of 9 Beaches and loved having a private cabana instead of a hotel room. Just our opinion.

If you know what to expect you will be fine. I think ones that did not have a good experience at 9 beaches, went there with certain expectations. I checked the resort out and knew what to expect and was not disappointed. We absolutely loved it. When you can make a 16 & 18 year old happy, that says a lot.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

You can always email me if you have any questions or wish to see any pix.

East Coast
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to 9 Beaches

Clayworks....I sent you a message to your "inbox" on tripadvisor a few days ago...as I never check my Messages, perhaps you don't either?? Or, perhaps you didn't want to respond! ha-ha!! Could use your obvious expertise on a few things, and would love the chance to "chat" with you.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Mary :)