We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Hi Everyone,

This will be our first trip to Bermuda and we need some help.

I will be attending a company conference from

May 7th-May 11th at the Fairmont Southampton.

We have decided to arrive on May 2nd to have a little vacation before the conference starts.

During the conference we will be going to the Caves and on a Catamaran snorkeling trip paid for by my company.

We really just want to relax on the best beaches and explore the area experiencing the nightlife and eatiing in different interesting but good restaurants before the conference.

Here are my questions:

What is the best way to get fromt eh airport to the hotel? Can you reccommend a transfer service?

What is the difference between St. George and Hamiltion? Is it worth going to both areas to explore or they about the same just different locations?

What is your favorite beach?

What beaches offer bar service?

When in town, are the bars and restaurants in the same general area sort of like Miami or Cancun or are they scattered about and hidden?

Any tips of where to eat? We like to go to local places...

Any tips you can share to make this a great trip would be appreciated...What should we be sure not to miss!!??!

Thanks!

Bernardsville, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

The real pros will probably weigh in soon but until they do...

>>>Here are my questions:

What is the best way to get fromt eh airport to the hotel? Can you reccommend a transfer service? <<<

Any taxi will do, just walk out the door and you will see an orderly line up of taxis who will be ready to take you where you want to go.

>>>What is the difference between St. George and Hamiltion? Is it worth going to both areas to explore or they about the same just different locations? <<<

Hamilton is the business center of Bermuda but contains a number of interesting places to explore and many restaurants to enjoy. St. George is a World Heritage Sight and most people enjoy the charm of the buildings, narrow streets and shopping. Both are, without a doubt, worth visiting. You can get a ferry from your hotel to Hamilton and I recommend the ferry from the Dockyards to St. George as a wonderful way to spend an hour on the water.

>>>What is your favorite beach?<<<

Tough one. For snorkeling, I love Church Bay. But all of the beaches along the south shore have their own allure. From Astwood Cove to Horseshoe Bay, they each have incredible beauty and charm. You will easily be able to explore them all....enjoy!

>>>What beaches offer bar service?<<<

As far as I know, only the ones attached to a hotel, ex: Elbow Beach (not the public beach), Fairmont Southampton's beach, etc. The rest would be BYOB.

>>>When in town, are the bars and restaurants in the same general area sort of like Miami or Cancun or are they scattered about and hidden?<<<

Bermuda is so different than the places you mention it's hard to explain this. But, in Hamilton, most restaurants and bars are on or close to Front Street, in St. George they are on or close to the square.

>>>Any tips of where to eat? We like to go to local places...<<<

Once again, here Bermuda is different. All places are local places in that locals (read Bermudians) go to all the restaurants. Bermuda is like this wonderful place where people live, work, and play and they are so kind they let us come and visit them in paradise. I'm not explaining this well but hopefully someone else will chime in and state it better.

>>>Any tips you can share to make this a great trip would be appreciated...What should we be sure not to miss!!??!<<<

My biggest tip is to give in to the atmosphere and r-e-l-a-x. Don't miss looking around at the beautiful houses, beaches, plants, and listening to the tree frogs and smelling the flowers. We love walking along the railway trail and taking the scooter wherever and whenever.

My biggest tip before you go is to search this forum for a few keywords. KDKSail has set up some lists on restaurants, beaches etc. There have been tons of conversations on what to do, where to go, etc. Happy hunting!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

You may want to take a look at the column to the left of this page, lots of info there.

To answer some of your questions, yes, it is worth going to both Hamilton and St George.

Some of the best beaches in Bermuda are along the South Shore which is where the Fairmont Southampton is located. Don't know anything about bar service, but there may be some for residents of some of the beachfront hotels.

Whilst Hamilton and St George are nothing like Miami or Cancun, yes, there are clusters of restaurants on Front St for instance, but many scattered around the streets going up from Front St in Hamilton. There are also some not far from your hotel. I think that you'll find that most restaurants are 'local' a mix of tourists and Bermudians.

You might enjoy a trip to the Dockyard, there's a bus stop right outside your hotel. If you are going to use the bus and ferries you will need a pass which you can get at the airport. No rental cars on Bermuda so the only other options are scooters, which you can rent if you are comfortable with this mode of transportation, or taxis.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Scooter, we must have been busy typing at the same time, but you beat me to it!!

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Hi! My suggestion is to rent scooters, grab some snorkle equipment and beach towels from your hotel and set off to explore all the little nooks and spots around the island. (don't forget a good map which usually comes with the scooter and SUN SCREEN) Wear a cover-up and sandles so you can get into almost anyplace for a drink/lunch. Make sure to go through Flatts and stop. There is public parking and park accross from the Aquarium. IMO, Flatts is one of the most beautiful little spots. The colors there are gorgeous. Astwood Park is another fav. If you are adventerous, take a hike along the cliffs but be careful, no railings but beautiful views and paths. Go to Spittal Pond and look for Spanish Rock., Drive through Mid-Ocean Club, check out other Hotels and their beaches, have a drink at their beach bar and act like you belong there. Go to the top of the Gibbs Lighthouse, stop in to Henrys and for entertainment, go to Henrys for the Dave Bootle Show Wed-Sun 9PM. Have fun! (and stay left) Oh...rent a Boston Whaler, pack a lunch, (your hotel can provide this) bring frozen peas or bread, the fish LOVE it! Take the night time glass botttom boat ride.

USA
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

As noted above, take some time and make some effort to scroll back through the archived threads on this TA forum. Most of your questions will be answered in a fair amount of very specific detail....and well as the questions that you haven't even though of yet...or that arise from the answers to those questions. It's your MOST VALUABLE research and planning '..tool..'..so USE IT...to begin to get the most out of your visit.

With the possible exception of Bermuda's magnificent south shore beaches, Bermuda really doesn't have and '..GEE WHIZ !!..' '..Must See/Must Do..' attractions. If this sounds a bit like 'damning with faint praise'...you'd be very wrong..and it most certainly isn't intended that way. '..RESORT BERMUDA..' is simply one of those rare places where the '..whole..' of the experience is much greater than the '..sum of its parts..'. Come with the idea of relaxing, kicking back and enjoying each other's company in an absolutely beautiful, friendly, hospitable, safe place...and you'll love it. Unlike most other island/beach vacation destinations--where your 'hotel/resort' is pretty much your 'destination'--on 'RESORT BERMUDA' you can use, experience and enjoy pretty much ALL of the best of it, at pretty much any time of day or night...in relative safety.

I'm a huge fan of rental motorscooters on Bermuda...as the very best way to get around, see and enjoy Bermuda--along your own routes, on your own schedule, at your own pace, stopping whenever or wherever mood or moment strike. ***BUT*** you MUST bear in mind that scooters are most definitely NOT 'amusement rides' and are very much SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLES which you MUST approach and rise with the RESPECT they're due. BEFORE riding off in a haze of 2-stroke smoke into traffic...take some time (20-30 mins is usually all it takes) to familiarize yourself (beyond the basic safety/operation session) with how the scooter operates, handles and 'feels'...and PRACTICE. A few minutes of PRACTICE can save you hours in the ER.

If you don't choose this personal transportation option, then there is a great alternative available to you in Bermuda's EXCELLENT public transportation system--buses and ferries.

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Oh, how I miss the Flatts! Nearly every time we zipped by we would stop at the lot across from the aquarium. The current flows so strongly through that cut, it's amazing. You can see the most gorgeous fish hanging out under the shade of the dock.

Many times when we wanted an excuse to ride the scooters (but where?) one of us would say, "Let's see which way the current is running!"

There's a picnic table or two where we've eaten lunch, it's just wonderful. And this is just one of many sites in Resort Bermuda. Part of the fun is finding your favorite!

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Make sure to walk over to Horseshoe Bay. There is a path from your hotel beach that takes you there. It is a beautiful beach. Don't miss it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Thank you so much for all the great responses.

I am not sure what the FLATTS are.. but I will be sure to find them..

We have decided to rent mopeds for a least a few days to explore.

We are very excited about this trip.

Thanks again!

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

Flatts is actually a village/town that surrounds a gorgeous inlet. There are a few resturants, shops, the aquarium is there, public park and dock. Please stop there and admire the beauty of it. Stand on the dock/pier. As I said before the colors are breathtaking. Loads of sea life/fish to watch there and walk over to the center of the bridge to see the rays in the water feeding! Watch the current go in and out through the cut under the bridge. Come out of the park, go left and drive along the North Shore.

Enjoy!

10. Re: First trip to Bermuda- need help from the pros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 19:18