We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua restaurant

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Aqua restaurant

Is it closed??? We wanted to celebrate our anniversary dinner there in May. Any other suggestions if it is closed? We wanted nice with a view or outside if possible, not too stuffy. We will be staying at the Elbow Beach.

USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aqua restaurant

stay right at Elbow beach and dine at Cafe Lido. you used to be able to sit outside, not sure if you still can but it overlooks the ocean and the food was great a few years back!

also try the new restaurant at Pompano......its all floor to ceiling windows and the food is great. its called.........The Ocean grill.

Bonnie

USA
Level Contributor
27,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aqua restaurant

ARIEL SANDS is CLOSED...AQUA is GONE.

At the risk of offending the terminally ignorant and petulantly cranky with more recommendations for pushing individual properties or restaurants time and time (it never seems to occur to the terminally stupid, that there are only so many choices on a place as small as Bermuda).

Alternatives include LIDO and SEA BREEZE TERRACE (outdoor dining) at Elbow Beach Hotel....COCONUTS (outdoor but enclosed) at The REEFS HOTEL....another great alternative for wonderful Great Sound views (with the occasional spectacular sunset) is the relatively new BLÛ restaurant at Belmont Hills Golf Course.

I've never been a big fan of the dining options at the Elbow Beach Hotel....with the notable exception of the charming SEA HORSE GRILL up in the main hotel building....nor any of the dining options at The Fairmont hotels, with the exception of the NEWPORT ROOM.

Elbow Beach Hotel Restaurants--LIDO & SEA BREEZE--

www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/534000005.asp

COCONUTS at The Reefs Hotel--

http://www.thereefs.com/finedining/

BLÛ at Belmont Hills--

http://www.diningbermuda.com/blu/

For one of the best dining rooms on Bermuda---but no views) try the FOURWAYS INN-- www.fourwaysinn.com/main_dining_room.htm

Again, no real views, but HENRY VIII out near The Reefs has gotten very good again-- http://www.henrys.bm/entertainment.html

N Plainfield
Level Contributor
234 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aqua restaurant

I would recommend the lighthouse restaurant as one of your more casual options. The location at Gibbs Hill lighthouse and the views are lovely. The patio outside is set with linens and candlelight. The owner loves to prepare your table with special touches especially for special events and the food is delicious. Convenient enough from Elbow, it would be a truly unique evening. We dined at Blu at the Belmont and it was equally fantastic but in a completely different way. Service, food, presentation are top notch - The cost reflects this (as it should) but the room is large and may not be provide the romance you may be looking for..

What I'd like to add is that there are many restuarants that are not at all connected to ANY hotel. There are so many good options - When transportation is so easily arranged, why limit yourself???

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aqua restaurant

Not sure when it will actually be open, but Beau Rivage at the Newstead is set to rival Blu, in both views and food. As the Newstead and Belmont are owned by the same firm, I can imagine that Beau Rivage will be taken to a high level. I saw the space before it was finished, and the views were incredible, especially from the patio. Just another restaurant to think about in Paget.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aqua restaurant

I was disappoiinted with Blu. Had to send the steak back as was welldone when i asked for med rare and it came back the same again. will never go back.

suggest coconuts. you can dine on the beach. also lido is nice outside.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aqua restaurant

I would be open to any suggestions....not thinking only hotel restaurants. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aqua restaurant

I would definitely recommend Harborfront. Very good food and very good service.

Tom Moore's is a real cool spot too. It is very 'old fashioned' but that's what makes it unique. You feel like you're the only ones in Bermuda when you're there. Great food and excellent service to go along with that cool atmosphere too. I've lived here all my life and even I enjoy the feeling of being there- you feel like you've travelled back in time to when Bermuda truly was an untouched and uninhabited place.

There are many other spots I like too but these ones stick out for me right now. Next week I might recommend others!

Keep in mind, ANY restaurant can have a bad review or even a few. Food can be over or undercooked, you can have a missed order here or there, or whatever else. I've had issues at some of the very best restaurants, worldwide- it is BOUND to happen in the service industry no matter what establishment you're talking about.

When it becomes a consistent issue that's another thing altogether obviously.

I would like to recommend Ascott's as that was perhaps my very favorite restaurant for a long time. However after 2 bad experiences in a row there and similar issues I've heard from friends (I didn't believe them since I had dined there for years and only had the very best experiences!) I've crossed them off my list- temporarily at least. (these things seem to go in cycles)

They've put up their prices AND are clearly short of both wait staff and staff in the kitchen. Some of that was obvious when I dined there, the rest I heard from an inside source! :o)

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aqua restaurant

Sorry, just re-read and you said you wanted a view. Won't get that at Tom Moore's and depending on your definition of 'stuffy' it might not be for you.

Personally I find it very cool and different and not 'stuffy' and I think it's very romantic. But because of its old colonial style, some people think it's 'stuffy'. I find the staff very warm and friendly and a relaxed but sophisticated atmosphere and clientelle.

But that could just be me!

N Plainfield
Level Contributor
234 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aqua restaurant

Oh, it is not just you. I didn't mention Tom Moore's because of the view and Distance from the hotel, BUT it is our all time favorite on the island. From our first visit (over 20 years ago) to our last in 2006, the service (with a smile), the food (still do salads and desserts tableside!) and the setting (very romantic) it is simply the best. It is a little hard to describe -- the over all feeling - it just seems like the real Bermuda somehow....

One could always try it for lunch if your scootering out to St. George - it's on the way...

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aqua restaurant

We ate at the new Harborfront this past February, and found it great. Nice views of the Harbor from a somewhat different location, and very good food and service.