We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow

So I am leaving tomorrow morning for Bermuda again, so excited. Staying at my parents place at the Newstead for the second time. It will be interesting to see the progress on the resort. Let me know if anyone wants any pictures of anything, or has any questions I can ask the management.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow

I hope you're having a great time in Bermuda! When you return, I'd love to see any and all pictures you have of Newstead, as well as an update on the progress made since your last visit!

Please check your mailbox too!

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Well I just got back this evening from BDA and the Newstead Belmont Hills. They have made some nice progress, but still have a little ways to go. Unfortunately a strike by some electrical workers on the island delayed the opening of Beau Rivage, the restaurant at the resort. From what the management told me, they just got the ok from the gov't inspectors to start service next week, so my parents should be able to try it out and report back. Also the Water Taxi has not arrived yet from Florida, though this seemed less of a hassle with the frequent service by government ferry at Hodgsons, which is at most a 5 minute walk from the Newstead. The new lobby is open as is the spa and gym, and all look great, especially the lobby, which has an incredible view. Building No. 6 which contains maybe a 1/4 of the suites and the Restaurant, Bar, Pool Bar and General Store is almost done, with the suites on the top level to open next week as well. I would say within 2 months the whole resort will be basically complete and fully functional, except the renovation of the original "Shoreby" Building, which has not started yet.

As for the stay itself, our weather was ok, but not great. We had some great dinners at Barracuda, Portofino, and Blu. One night we had delivery from Upper Crust which was fun, and one dinner at Swizzle Inn South Side, which was a blast. Weather was not too beachy, so we spent more time at the pool, as it was close by. Took the ferry to St. George's which was a great, if a little wet, ride. Hamilton was a little crowded as the Norwegian Dream was docked on Front Street. In general it was a great quick gettaway, and I look forward to returning in November for Thanksgiving.

Here are a few pics of the resort from the trip. If you have any questions, I will gladly try and answer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94295287@N00/sets/72157605182051042/

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Looks like you have to copy and paste the link into a window as the link gets cut...

Bernardsville, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Thanks for the report and the pictures which are beautiful. It really looks like a lovely property.

farmingdale, ny
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Thanks for the pictures. It looks great.

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Boston Spider,

How was the food at the Swizzle? I am looking for a casual spot for one of the nights at that sounds fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving tomorrow

I thought it was pretty good. Mostly pub type food, a good burger, fish and chips, shepherds pie. But the swizzles are ofcourse the main attraction, and are incredible.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving tomorrow

Thanks so much for the progress report and the wonderful pictures. This looks like it's going to be an amazing place!

9. Re: Leaving tomorrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 17:19