We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

A group of us are going to Bermuda in mid-June to celebrate a 40th birthday. We are planning on casual dinners in downtown Hamilton (staying at the Hamilton Princess) to save some money. But after dinner -- what to do? Is there anyplace for dancing that might play "oldies" music? or other fun venues to hang out and have a drink?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

I don't know about oldies music. But you can have a drink at the Wine Bar which is next to the Little Venice. Last September I saw a really good band at The Cellar in the Southampton Princess on a Saturday night. Check there, I think they have good bands on Friday night too. On Sunday night, go to Henry VIII. Very busy, good music.

If you want a good casual dinner, go to Portofino. The Wine Bar is just up the street. I think Portofino gives you a free pass to the nightclub next door, Splash, but the crowd is very young. You can also check entertainment at the Hog Penny, Flanagan's, Pickled Onion, Docksider. Cafe Cairo is busy but also very young crowd.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

Splash has closed unfortunately. Pickled Onion, Flanagan's or Docksiders might be playing some 'oldies' but there is not really a designated spot just for that.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

Henry VIII For Dave Bootle Wednesday thru Sunday with Sunday being the best and most crowded. Lots of fun and good music/entertainment.

USA
Level Contributor
28,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

Not sure about 'oldie' music...but on Bermuda during high-tourist season that could be defined as anything from Perry Como to Guns 'n Roses, depending on who you asked.

The old SPLASH dance club (up on Bermudiana Road, btwn Little Venice & Portofino's) closed last year and is suuposed to be replaced with a new club for more 'mature' tastes (perhaps that means for people who remember that Paul McCartney's first gig wasn't as the front-man for the Eagles?)

There's a new place that's openning up on Reid Street at an old 'slots' parlour--CLUB VINTAGE--91 Reid St. According to the advance 'buzz', "..the establishment will be spinning old-school reggae and soca music, and oldies-but-goodies from the 1950s to the 1980s.." So perhaps Perry Como and Guns 'n Roses may meet??

For basic '..pub entertainment..' there's always the HOG PENNY pub, up on Burnaby St. (just up from the 'Flagpole' on Front St. in downtown Hamilton)

As also noted, the pub at HENRY VIII out on the South Road (near The Reefs Hotel) is usually a lot of fun (take Fairmont's private ferry across from the Princess, then a taxi the short distance to Henry VIII for dinner--a good dining room that rises to very good--then stay for the pub entertainment later in the evening...then taxi back to Hamilton ...as is the new SWIZZLE INN locatation, out on the South Road.

For more basic 'pub entertainment, there's also the new SWIZZLE INN location out on the South Road as well.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

For those of us not staying at the Fairmont, do we

take Bue #7 to Henry VIII ? Also, can we take #7 to

Swizzle Inn and ask driver to let us off near there?

Then we would only have 1 taxi ride back.

USA
Level Contributor
28,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

>>> do we take Bue #7 to Henry VIII ? Also, can we take #7 to Swizzle Inn and ask driver to let us off near there?<<<

YES....the #7--Hamilton-Via South Shore Beaches-Dockyard public bus route will take you out to any destination along the South Road...with regular bus stops (just ask the driver) near both the SWIZZLE INN-South Shore and HENRY VIII Restaurant & Pub

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

I can't seem to find any information about Splash. Do you know when it is supposed to reopen? Is The Deep still closed? I don't know if they have done anything with it yet.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

#7 only goes anywhere on South road WEST of Hamilton, just to clarify.

USA
Level Contributor
28,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

>>>I can't seem to find any information about Splash. Do you know when it is supposed to reopen? Is The Deep still closed? I don't know if they have done anything with it yet.<<<

SPLASH closed down in late-December. The Little Venice group purchased the property and was supposed to convert it--

"...The two-level Splash nightclub has been a fixture on Bermuda's clubbing scene for several years. The Little Venice Group has recently bought the club and it is expected to be turned into a piano bar. The Bermuda Sun reported earlier this month that it is the seventh establishment to come under the umbrella of the Little Venice Group, which has a broader vision to make café-style patio tables and chairs a permanent fixture on this stretch of Bermudiana Road..." (from Bermuda Sun--12/28/07)

The name of the new operation was supposed to be, "LV's PIANO & JAZZ LOUNGE..'-- http://www.diningbermuda.com/LVs/ --but I haven't seen any reports of an actual openning yet.

DEEP was supposed to re-open sometime last year...but I don't think it ever did (it still shows up as '..currently closed for renovations..' at both LV's and EBH's web sites) Since DEEP was also managed by the Little Venice group (also Cafe Lido, Seabreeze Terrace & Mickey's Beach Bistro at Elbow Beach Hotel) it could be that with the acquisiton of the old SPLASH property, the Little Venice group has other plans for the DEEP venue??

10. Re: Nightlife for ladies' trip to Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 01:17