We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere special please

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere special please

Greetings from the South West of England.

I am looking for a beautiful hotel for mid October and am wondering about Pink Beach, Cambridge Beaches, Pompano and The Reefs. The surroundings, the accommodation and the food are very important to us and I just cannot make up my mind between the four mentioned hotels. We usually stay at Small Luxury Hotels of the World and are very happy with the standard that these hotels offer. I know that Pink Beach is member and I wonder if the other hotels are of a similar standard with regard to my above criteria.

Thank you to everyone in advance for any advice given.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere special please

all the properties you mentioned are very high quality hotels and i think any one of them would be a good choice, but it seems that most people on this board prefer the reefs over just about any other hotel on the island.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere special please

Sonny,thank you for your reply. I have looked at all the reports of The Reefs and certainly like the sound of the hotel. I wonder if anyone can advise me which category of room/suite to book; also when the renovations are scheduled to be completed. I am unaware if there are US school holidays around mid/late October and would be very grateful if someone could advise me as we would not wish to visit when there are a lot of children on vacation. Again, many thanks for any advice given.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere special please

October should be fine - all US kids will be in school at that time.

The Reefs is beautiful and very close to Pompano - the two share a dining exchange program (if you book the meal plan) where you can exchange a meal for one at the other resort. The construction going on is going to be obvious, as it's a small place, but the resort is such high caliber that I'm sure they will go out of their way to not have it be intrusive. I've heard they are mainly focusing on their new Reefs Club right next door right now.

That said, I am a huge fan of Pompano - stayed there last year and already have plans to go back - it's one of my favorite places ever. The people are incredibly friendly and personal, and the service and views just can't be beat. The beach is small, but perfect, and we had great meals each night in both of the 2 restaurants. Was my first time staying at a small property, and I'm hooked.

Good luck - let us know what you decide - it's not an easy choice!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere special please

RandKinKC, thank you for your message. Both hotels look lovely and no doubt we shall have to have two trips, one to each to decide which we prefer; they both seem very popular and no doubt it will come down to which has the vacancy at the time we choose.

Thank you for your advice re school vacations; much as we love children we prefer a little peace and quiet when we are on holiday and we have no idea of the timing of the US holidays. I shall talk to our travel consultant and let you know what we decide; meanwhile if anyone has any more ideas for somewhere special I should be delighted to receive them.

Again many thanks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere special please

Not sure why you keep referring to the U.S school holidays. Bermuda is not in the U.S as I assume that you know. Americans are not the only ones who visit Bermuda. Plenty of Canadians etc.

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere special please

We have stayed at Cambrdige Beaches, and Pink Beach Club...So please ask me any questions! Go with your gut..Dont just pick the Reefs over nay other just because of reviews...:)

Solebury...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere special please

I am a sucker for Pompano. I just LOVE the view at sunset over the pink sand and turquoise water.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere special please

I really liked the location of PBC, beautiful stretch of beach, but easy to get to Hamilton, St. George's, Flatts, and the airport. We had a great time there last October. The only US holiday to watch out for in October is Columbus Day weekend, which might get an influx of families, and people have that monday off. It is October 10-13 this year. I felt the rooms of the PBC were very nicely appointed, and very good sized. The two restaurants, inside and out by the pool, had different menus for dinner, which were posted after lunch, which was an added bonus to see what you liked mid afternoon, and decide where to eat. The only thing about the hotel which I did not really like was the pool, small and really nestled into the outdoor restaurant. But in October the water is so warm, that the beach should be and is the main draw anyways. Good luck as all the hotels you listed are bound to be great.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere special please

Oh one other place you might consider, if being on the beach is not the most important thing, is the Newstead Belmont Hills. A couple of us have now stayed there, and it is a great place. Incredible views of Hamilton, private ferry, attached golf course, hot new french restaurant, lovely infinity edge pool, great new spa, and brand new modern rooms all overlooking the harbor. As I said though, it is not on the beach. There is a small shuttle that will take you to Elbow Beach, where the hotel has a little area of chaises and umbrellas set up, but it is not the same thing as being able to walk down to the beach. Now the ability to get into Hamilton quickly, and have attached golf and spa is quite a different draw.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere special please

Hello from a rather damp South West England; we are in the middle of an Atlantic 'monsoon', which apparently we have to get used to as it is likely to be a permanent feature of global warming...

Thank you so much to Bermuda Obsessed, Kittykrazy and bostonspider; this forum is working so well as you are all helping me to make the decision of where and when in October, thank you.

Having now had a good chat with our travel consultant who knows our preferences and how fussy we are [typical Brits], I have narrowed the choice to Cambridge Beaches and Pink Beach Club. Has anyone stayed in the Cambridge suites at CB?

I understand there are two new luxury hotels coming on stream later this year; Tuckers Point Hotel and Jumeirah Southlands[ Jumeirah is perhaps know more to us here in the UK as they are a Dubai based hotel group with hotels in London and New York }, they both sound lovely but are not ready yet; does anyone have any details?

Meanwhile many thanks for all information so far received; I'll keep you posted as to our decision.

Good night from a somewhat damp England.