We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
98 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

i know this is an openended question, but would like some advice. I am going on a cruise Oct. 12, docking in St. George's and all the ship excursions are really based on St. George's. I've been to Bermuda before, but many many years ago. I will be traveling w/ my husband, my mom and her b/f, and a friend w/ his wife.

I'm not really into beaches, but would like a suggestion of one nice one to visit for a day.

I also scuba, but will be 4 mo. pregnat so that is out. I would like a snorkel recommendation, if not I will book one from the boat.

But really what are some not to miss sites/attaractions. not only at st. George's, but the other areas, like hamilton, etc?

Thanks so much!!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

You will need to spend some time exploring St Georges- since there are a lot of you - perhaps a taxi tour of the Island

If the weather is kind the best beach is at Horseshoe bay - not sure if I would snorkel at 4 months

If weather a bit "iffey " - BUEI - Acquarium +Zoo - and Crystal Caves

Level Contributor
28,819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

You must be sailing on NCL's '..Norwegian Drean..' from Boston, which will arrive in Bermuda, at Saint George's Harbour on Tuesday morning at approx. Noon and sailing again on Friday at approx. Noon.

If you're only going to visit one beach on Bermuda during your stay, then make certain that it's one of Bermuda's best--out on her magnificent south shore--ELBOW BEACH, WARWICK LONG BAY, HORSESHOE BAY as examples. These beachs are a 'two-fare ride' via public transportation from Saint George's--either #1-Saint George's-Hamilton bus route (MOST scenic ride) then transfer to #7-Hamilton-South Shore Beaches-Dockyard route...OR...ORANGE ROUTE-Saint George's-Dockyard ferry, then #7-Dockyard-South Shore Beaches-Hamilton bus route (with take-your-breath-away-views along the way) to the south shore beaches.

Though there will only be a single cruise ship berthed in Saint George's Harbour during your October visit, the three small beaches out here at the east-end--TOBACCO BAY, ACHILLES BAY, SAINT CATHERINE'S BEACH--are the closest (10 min jitney/shuttle bus 'circuit' from the Square in St. G) for cruise ship passengers and tend to become crowded. But, there is pretty good snorkeling out around the rocks at Tobacco Bay...and a concessionaire there that rents basic snorkeling gear.

If you don't want to travel too far from Saint George's, then a better beach will be JOHN SMITH BAY, on Bermuda's far south-eastern shore...and only a very pleasant 35 min. #1-Saint George's-Hamilton bus route ride away. The beach is onloy 50 yards or so from the South Road bus stop.

Saint George's is a quaint, charming '..olde towne..' but unless you have an abiding interest in history and historic Bermudian architecture (the '..Unfinished Church..' is a surprisingly interesting '..ruin/relic') you can do/see pretty much all there is to see and do in Saint George's in 1/2 day or so (perhaps on day of arrival or departure??). The historic Fort Saint Catherine is closed for renovations and the Saint George's Golf Course is also closed for renovations.

A way to merge GREAT beach and good snorkeling would be to head out to CHURCH BAY beach (best snorkeling from the beach) on the south shore and rent basic snorkeling from the concessionaire there. Otherwise, to get out to the reef to snorkel, you'll have to take one of the daily snorkeling excursion boats.

With the notable exception of Bermuda's magnificent (not just an idle expression) south shore beaches...for the rest, there really are no absolute '..MUST SEE/MUST DO..'. If this sounds like '..damning with faint praise..' you'd be badly mistaken. Bermuda is simply one of those rare places where the '..whole..' of the place and experience is MUCH greater than the sum of any of its parts.

Scroll back through this archive for information and ideas on some of those sights and attractiopns to see which interest or attract your attention. Then meander about incredibly beautiful Bermuda visiting any as mood or moment strike.

Though taxi fares on Bermuda tend to be high (Saint George's to downtown Hamilton--approx $40...Saint George's to South Shore Beaches area--approx. $60-$70)...Dockyard to South Shore Beaches--approx $30-$35) with a group as large as yours (6 adults), the relative cost/convenience of taxis makes them a more palatable transportation option. But...I suppose one can't expect your entire group to move about Bermuda in lock-step...and for more independent transportation, then the multi-day TRANSPORTATION PASS is a great deal (readily available at the main bus terminal--near your cruise ship berth--in dowtown Saint George's. This pass provides you with relatively inexpensive, simple, convenient '..hop-on/hop-off..' access to all public transportation--buses and ferries. The system on Bermuda is excellent--buses make great 'raised platforms' to see Bermuda as you go and ferries provide a similar platform to see Bermuda from a water-side perspective.

Bernardsville, New...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

barbexpat said:

>>> If the weather is kind the best beach is at Horseshoe bay - not sure if I would snorkel at 4 months <<<

Why in the world would being 4 months pregnant stop someone from snorkeling?

As KDKSail pointed out, the best snorkeling from the beach would be Church Bay, and he listed the wonderful south shore beaches where you could spend an enjoyable day or morning or afternoon. You could always go on a snorkel cruise, there's Fantasea and Jesse James, but you will always do better booking these yourself rather than using the cruise line (they seem to add quite a bit to the price).

And as KDKSail also said there doesn't seem to be any "Can't miss it" sites or attractions (other than those beautiful beaches) but everyone seems to develop a few favorites. Gibbs Lighthouse and the view from the top is one of our favorites, as is the railway trail from Somerset Bridge to the town of Somerset, stopping along the way at Fort Scaur and the Heydon chapel. Love catching a ferry at sunset. Love renting a Boston Whaler and visiting Palm Island in Elys Harbor. Or renting kayaks and rowing over to Kings Point islands for a little snorkeling. Or visiting the glass beach across from the Royal Naval Cemetary. Love just getting on the scooter and stopping wherever takes our fancy.

So, as you can see, you kind of make your own "not to miss" sites.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

If you are in St. Georges I would definitely consider Whale Bone Bay or Tobacco Bay. Both excellent for snorkeling. (you can easily walk to Tobacco but would need a ride to Whale Bone).

At Whale Bone there is a pay phone so you can call for a cab when you are ready to leave.

Oh, and yes you can snorkel while pregnant... even 9 months pregnant.

As was mentioned above- many little places in St Georges to see and visit. Keep in mind many of the museums and stores are closed on weekends.

Rhode Island
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

You may want to do a little research on the Hamilton area. Sometimes the ship can't make it into

St. George and ends up in Hamilton. This happened to us and I wasn't prepared. Just a thought.

6. Re: What to do in Bermuda?? Need ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 16:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor