We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone just back from Bermuda?

DC Area
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone just back from Bermuda?

We are thinking of going mid October of next year and was hoping for some first hand experience. We were there this past June/July and loved it. My main question is- Was the water warm enough for swimming? I understand this part of the year is variable and I have already looked at the weather data from previous years, but I was just curious for some first hand reports of the beach scene - thanks in advance!

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

The water is definitely warm enough to swim in, in mid October....and this is coming from a Bermudian.

However on some days it can be a bit cool when you come OUT of the water. Some days it was fine and almost like summer (I've doen a lot of boating and fishing this month so I've had it both ways).

But on a couple of days it was pretty cool when you come out with a steady breeze blowing. Especially if it's overcast and the sun is not beaming on you.

But overall, I would imagine that mid October would be great weather and very good for swimming, especially coming from DC!

It's not your typical summer weather but it is generally very nice. One of my favorite times of year and I think you'd like it too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

We've been in early (first two weeks)October before, and loved it! Water is great. Also went later one year (last week Oct & first week Nov) and found ocean too cool for our liking, but perfect for all the rest of golf, boating, sightseeing, biking, etc.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

Just back from Bermuda. Flew out on AirCanada 1:15pm Monday, October 27th. Was there for two weeks starting the 13th. Highest daily temperature during that time was 79F and lowest was 72F. The humidity ranged in the 70% area. All but the last two days were either full sun and no clouds or white fluffy clouds sailing across the sky. Some days the wind was quite brisk too. Cruise ships were in at the dockyard almost daily, with many passengers being shuttled to Horseshoe Bay, and others filling the usual bus routes of 7, 8, 10, and 11. At Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beach there were a number of people swimming, but not a huge crowd. Most were either laying on the beach or walking along the the water's edge. The water felt warm to me, but as posted above, the wind does make it cold on the body once out of the water. The last two days were solid cloud and rainy showers. Taking off, there was a good amount of turbulence until we gained altitude and were above it.

It was warm enough on most days that the a/c was on in the buses. This was my first trip to Bermuda, and thought that if this is the usual weather, I would the middle of October would be good for anyone who wants warmth but not excessive heat and humidity. One thing I did note, that watching the weather channel from the USA on the TV there, that when they showed the south-east coast of the USA, they extend the radar pattern far enough out into the Atlantic to cover Bermuda, so you can see the weather in Bermuda anytime.

Mentioned in this post
The Atlantic
The Atlantic
112 Reviews
Southampton, NY
Horseshoe Bay Beach
Horseshoe Bay Beach
2,972 Reviews
Bermuda
Elbow Beach
Elbow Beach
489 Reviews
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

Hope everything worked out for you Trptld. Was your accommodation ok? No problems with the mixup over dates? Glad that you had good weather.

lorneville, nb...
Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

Just got back.. spent hours in the water snorkelling with no wet suit, just bathing skivvies.

Water was 76 F on average, and indeed felt slightly cooler at the end of the week than at the beginning.

Bermuda gets lots of wind, so you blow dry pretty quickly. If the sun hits a cloud before youre dry, it'll be a little chilly. Mostly, the air temp is approaching 80 F and very sunny, and it's the perfect time for swimming and drying on the beach.

The really warm summer water is not hanging around by October, but it's still agreeable for swimming.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,722 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

Just back today - warm sunshine most days (but it poured with rain all day last Tuesday ) chilly in the evening (cardigan or wrap needed for the ladies ) a few mad people on the beach - in swimwear -even in the sea - not me ! I like it a lot warmer - when I was there mid 70s during the day -mid 60s at night

7. Re: Anyone just back from Bermuda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 21:19