We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise on earth

chicago
Level Contributor
197 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise on earth

We just returned from a 4 night stay at The Reefs in Southampton. (I left a review in the hotel section) Bermuda is a gem! We did all the tourist things, shopped in Hamilton, visited the maritime museum in the dockyards, visited the caves, took the ferry, rode the bus,had several swizzles at the Swizzle Inn and really had wonderful time. We never got to St. George, the Gibbs Lighthouse or any of the railway trail, or the botanic gardens. I guess we will have to leave something for next time! We also just did the beach at the Reefs if time had allowed we would have gone to Horseshoe Bay, Elbow Beach etc... We would be hard pressed to think of a more romantic spot than Bermuda, the beauty is enhanced by the warmth of it's people and the obvious pride they take in their country. It is amazingly clean. Also very nice to see people actually being kind to each other, you sometimes forget that kindness to strangers still exists. Bermuda is the kind of place you want to keep to yourself like some sort of divine secret because you are afraid if it gets out how great it is it might change.

We loved the ease of the bus and after seeing the scooters firsthand I don't think they are for me, but to each his own.

We loved everything about this little gem and we will be back. Thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise on earth

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Welcome to Bermuda.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise on earth

Thanks for sharing! Now you understand our affection for Bermuda!

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise on earth

Now you know why Im known as Bermuda Obsessed! :)

By the way, if anyone wants bermuda gifts, shirts, and so forth..Go to Cafe Press .com...Its great I even found a shirt about Cambridge Beaches...They have sooo many Bermuda Designs!

toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise on earth

any tips for someone going to bermuda for a few days next week? must sees...good restaurants, nightlife?

chicago
Level Contributor
197 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradise on earth

Devon- It all depends on your tastes. We went to Crystal caves, we thought it was really interesting and beautiful. We also did the Maritime museum at the Dockyards,we liked that too and spent several hours there walking about. The ferry was great a nice way to see Bermuda from the water. We had MAP at our resort so we only had a few lunches out, we liked the swizzle inn- we went there after the caves as the bus stop is across the street. Our evenings were also spent at The Reefs in the lounge with the entertainment provided so I am no help with your nightlife question. There is more than enough to do in Bermuda but to be honest it's so beautiful it's nice to do nothing and just enjoy it's beauty. Hope this helps!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradise on earth

Devon- eating out - just look at the list on tripadviser

I do not agree with all those listed - but we all have our own ideas about what a good meal should be

must sees ---- well how long have you got ?

a ferry ride is a must

a trip to at least see the south shore beaches (even if not warm enough to swim and sunbathe )

is a must

and so on

wnat are YOU hoping to see and do ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradise on earth

Devon: Well, everyone loves the Hog Penny in Hamilton. It's a true English pub, has great food and a fun, casual atmosphere. (Located on Burnaby St)

toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradise on earth

thanks for the ideas....

we're only going for 4 days, have a place to stay which is nice...that helps a lot. so basically looking for nice sight seeing things, "must sees" for bermuda.

are there any trendy bars/restaurants....english pub isnt exactly our thing.

either way im sure there loads to see! i heard mopeds were a great way to get around....those are always fun.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradise on earth

I must admit I would avoid the Hog Penny

A new place to eat that we plan to try next week is the newly reopened PortOcall - on Front Street - has had a massive revamp - food before it closed was outstanding - mainly fish

looks very smart from the outside - we were unable to get in when over last month

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradise on earth

Trendy is not a word I would normally associate with Bermuda, if it were I probably would choose to go somewhere else. Take a look at the column to the left of this page and scroll through the restaurant listings. Lots of good restaurants to choose from.