We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smiths Waterside Cottage

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Smiths Waterside Cottage

Anyone know anything about this vacation rental on Harrington Sound, near the village of Flatts (C22 on the bermudarentals.com website)? It looks nice enough for a two person rental, and reasonably well located.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

It's a good location but it seems very small for two people. The kitchen facilities are right at the end of the bed for instance. No cable, so very limited TV if that's important to you. Lovely views so I can see why you would choose it. It's a personal decision really. Let us know if you decide to rent it, and write a review when you go home.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

On reflection, my previous post was a little more negative sounding than I meant it to be. The cottage is a very good deal really. There is outside space, access to the water etc. Lovely views. Flatt's is a very picturesque area and you are near to a bus stop if you need it. Much better than a hotel room at a fraction of the price.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

Thanks for both posts. I too am concerned about the size, and am considering property W10 on the same website, which is in Southampton. It's on the west side of the island but the views look really nice, and it's larger than the Flatts property.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

W10 is much better as far as size is concerned and you still have good views if you are on top of a hill. Bermuda is very hilly by the way and some roads can be very steep. OK going down to the bus stop not so good going back up!! We like the west end of the island and almost always stay there. We particularly like the Sandys/Somerset area, a little further west than Southampton, because of the availability of the ferries and the buses. We don't ride scooters.

I'm not sure how long you are going for but if you plan to use the bus and ferry in addition to scooters you should buy a pass or some tokens/tickets. Usually available at the airport.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

Thanks, very helpful. I'm increasingly leaning toward the west side of the island.

USA
Level Contributor
28,515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

If you will be riding rental motorscooters are you mode of transportation, then the relative location of any private rental property to public transportation routes and stops won't be much of a concern to you. But as noted, for those employing Bermuda's excellent public transportation system, relative location is important. Ordinarily a distance like several hundred meters is just a '..nice walk..' for most. But things are 'relative'. Take that same 'nice walk' UP-hill, at the end of a long, hot day at the beach or touring about...and it becomes a "Val Da Ree Val Da Rah" '..hike..'...and perhaps more 'exercise' than many might find comfortable....and likely to put a larger 'dent' in your supply of Duty Free liquor and mixer than you imagined.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

I am also interested in this property -- has anyone rented it since the date of the first post?

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

Not sure where you decided to stay, but the one in Southampton, W10, is run by Neil and Dick, a husband/wife team, who are wonderful hosts. My dad and step mom stayed there one year when they came to visit, and it is a great little place.

USA
Level Contributor
28,515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

Not sure of the exact location of this cottage on Harrington Sound, but the general loctaion is lovely. The large Harrington Sound is a land-locked saltwater 'lake' fed by the ocean through the cave system in this immediate area and the Flatt's inlet.

If there is a '..catch..' to C22's location, it will be that it is only served by a single public bus route--#3--Hamilton-via Middle Road/Devil's Hole--Saint George's--during the day, with the last bus running at approx. 6:15 PM (5:30 PM Sun & Hol). For other, later running bus routes--#10 & #11--you would have to walk to bus stops in nearby Flatt's Village. So if your plan is to rely on Bermuda's excellent public transportation system during your visit...this may be a bit of an inconvenience. If you're riding rental motorscotters...then is just a lovely ride.

10. Re: Smiths Waterside Cottage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:32