We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store Stop

Boston
4 posts
Save Topic
Grocery Store Stop

I am staying at an apartment in Bermuda on an up coming trip. This is my first time to the island and it was recommended that we stop at the store on my way to our rental to stock up on food. Is this the best way to go. It seems somewhat counter intuitive, especially as we will obviously have all our luggage. And asking the taxi to wait seems like a waste of money.

Does any one have any suggestions on when is the best time to hit the store? Is it difficult to get a cab once at our location? Any help is greatly appreciated.

USA
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store Stop

It would be MOST USEFUL if you were to provide the **NOT**-so-minor-detail of the LOCATION of your apartment rental in Bermuda ??...or indulge in the clever device of looking up '..supermarkets..' in the Bermuda Yellow Pages. ALL supermarkets on Bermuda will be conveniently accessed via public bus routes.

Since supermarkets are conveniently situated to most locations in Bermuda...and taxis tend to be a bit expensive...you may find that waiting until after you've 'checked-in' at your rental will be the best time to go grocery shopping. Most supermarkets will be open until at least 7 PM (usually until 9 PM) Monday-thru-Saturday...and many from 1 PM-to 5 PM on Sundays.

Boston
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store Stop

I will be staying at Clairfont Apartments in Warwick. I know the bus route is pretty close and is probably the cheaper option to get to the store. Our flight arrives pretty early so I am not worried about the store closing before we get a chance to venture out. Thanks for the advice.

USA
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store Stop

Along you taxi route from the airport you will probably pass two(2) supermarkets along the South Road--the A-1 MARKET at Collector's Hill in Devonshire and the MODERN MART at Saint Michael's Drive in Paget.

If you just want to get in a FEW basic staples to 'tide' you over until later, on your way in from the airport, I'm inclined to suggest that you stop at the MODERN MART in Paget. In addition to being a good market, it also has a liquor section if you want to pick up liquors, wines, beers (one assumes that you'd stopped at the Duty Free shop at your departure airport already).

You will probably find that either this MODERN MART in Paget (on the #7 bus route between Clairfont & downtown Hamilton to the east--approx 12-15 mins by #7 bus..stop right at the market)...OR...the SOMERSET MARKETPLACE in Somerset (along both the #7 & #8 bus routes between Clairfont & Dockyard to the west--approx. 20 mins..stop right at the market) will probably prove to be the most convenient supermarkets to Clairfont, via public transortation, when you're going out in the mornings or returning in the evenings.

IF you are riding rental motorscooters (or willing to travel via taxi) there are several other supermarket locations that will also serve your purpose.

MARKET PLACE Supermarkets--

http://www.marketplace.bm/index.html

LINDO'S MARKETS--(Middle Rd & Morgan Rd, Warwick)

http://www.lindos.bm/

The SUPERMART (Hamilton & Saint Geroge's)--

http://www.supermart.bm/

WHITE'S & HAYWARD'S (Warwick & Saint David's)

bermudayp.com/site/whiteandsons/index.html

MILES MARKET--(Hamilton)--

www.miles.bm/Reborn-MilesVer3/index.html

For what is undoubtedly the best Deli and Prepared Foods section on Bermuda (though probably also the most expensive...but worth it), MILE'S MARKET (located and 'tucked in' down what appears to be an 'alleyway' off of Pitts Bay Road..between the old Waterloo House & 'Waterfront' complex) is the place to stop for the fixin's for wonderful picnic lunches and dinners.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store Stop

If you decide not to stop for food on your way from the airport make sure that you have a bus/ferry pass or tokens/tickets before you try to use the bus later in the day. As I said in a previous post it is not clear whether you can buy these at the airport any more.

Boston
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store Stop

I was told that you can no longer purchase bus passes at the airport. Is it possible to pay for the bus in cash?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store Stop

Yes, I believe you still can, but correct amount in coins only, no bills. Clairfont may keep a small supply of tickets or you can ask the taxi driver to stop at a post office on your way from the airport.

USA
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Store Stop

As noted, CLAIRFONT probably keeps a supply of bus tickets or tokens on-hand..and you may purchase a couple/few from them to get you started. It would be a simple enough to e-mail down to Clairfont to ask??

In any event, Transportation Passes will be available for sale at the main bus and ferry terminals, Visitor Service Bureau offices as well as Post Offices all over Bermuda. They are NOT available for purchase from bus drivers.

As noted above---

"..**Exact change only. Dollar bills are not accepted**....Cash Fares require **exact change only**. The Cash fare for journeys up to 3 Zones is $3.00, while longer journeys cost $4.50. **Drivers do not make change**, and are forbidden from receiving and depositing money in the farebox. **Dollar bills are not accepted**. Tokens are available for 3 and 14 Zones, and are honoured on buses and ferries. Tickets for 3 and 14 Zones are sold in Booklets of 15, and are honoured on buses only . Transportation Passes for 1, 3 or 7 consecutive days and Calendar Month Passes are available for an unlimited number of journeys for all Zones, and are honoured on buses and ferries..."

Cash*.......$3.00 $4.50

Tokens......$2.50 $4.00

Tickets**..$20.00 $30.00

1-Day Transportation Pass (All Zones) $12.00

2-Day Transportation Pass (All Zones) $20.00

3-Day Transportation Pass (All Zones) $28.00

4-Day Transportation Pass (All Zones) $35.00

7-Day Transportation Pass (All Zones) $45.00

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Store Stop

the closest grocery store to clairfont is heron bay market place, but is only useable if you're going by scooter or taxi,as it's on middle road. if you're travelling by bus then your best bet is modern mart. probably the easiest way is once you've checked in, head into hamilton. the hamilton market place is a short walk from the bus terminal as is the shopping centre and you won't have to catch a bus, get off, then wait for another.

Boston
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Store Stop

The Clairfont should be able to help with bus passes. Corrine has emailed me that she should be able to come up with an option to help, as she knows there is no longer a way to get passes at the airport. But just incase I figured I could make sure I had enough change to pay for a bus ride.

All the details on the bus system are very helpful, that was a great explanation of the fees and ways to pay. Thanks again.

Hanson
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Store Stop

I need grocery information also. Next week we're staying in a home that is near the intersection of Middle Road and South Road in Southampton. (4 adults and 2 very young children). We'll likely need a well-stocked store that is reasonably close.Any suggestions?