We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you suggest?

An Englishman in NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What would you suggest?

As the room is so quiet today I thought I would stimulate some conversation. I first visited Bermuda in 2002 Labor day weekend and returned in the first week of June 2004 when I married my wife. Both times we stayed at Hamilton Princess. We are returning in June this year staying at Southampton Princess for our 5th anniversary.

Where would be worth checking out socially for dinner or drinks since our last visit. We in the past have frequented Waterlot, Hog Penny, Swizzle inn,Portofino (?), Frog and Onion, Squires, Pickled Onion etc. I know Southampton Princess has upgraded and added since our last visit but where else would recent visitors recommend or advise us not to go.

USA
Level Contributor
27,934 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you suggest?

This may sound 'smart-a_s' (and that's just sorta' too bad if it does)...but have you taken the time to scroll back through any of the previous archived threads on these BERMUDA FORUM topic pages??...most specifically those dealing with the Fairmont Sothampton hotel ??

There's a pretty fair number of restaurant suggestions listed (with the FHS specifically in mind) as well as a RESTAURANT LIST with direct links to a great many Bermuda restaurants...to see and check out sample menus and pricing. From these you can develop your own 'short list' and begin to 'dial-in' those that seem to appeal to or interest you...and ask for more specific information on any or all on your list.

An Englishman in NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you suggest?

Yes , granny...eggs etc spring to mind. Was looking for some more recent insights from those that have visited recently and their current take on what;s worth checking out and worth avoiding.

USA
Level Contributor
27,934 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you suggest?

Careful...or "granny" may get decidely nasty with an ill-mannered 'brat'.

Did you bother to take note of the **DATES** on the posts listed on the 'threads' you've checked ?? In the event that you're 'calendar-challenged'-- printable2009calendar.net/samples/2009_04.png --they're from THIS past week and the week before. Information (or eggs) doesn't really doen't get much fresher than that.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you suggest?

Most of the restaurants you listed are still there -do you want me to eat in them all when I arrive tomorrow !!!

Personally I have never heard of Squires but Frog and Onion -Pickled Onion - and Waterlot are on my never again list

I suggest you try others -Fourways -Portocall- Rustico - -hey why not look at the list of restaurants here and the reviews

Guess you are too late for the $99 rooms at the Southampton Princess - people have been posting about them for days ............

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you suggest?

I think the "Squires" is refering to the Country Squire, which was well within walking distance from where we stayed last summer at the Watford Ferry Apartments. The food there was good. It seemed like a place where locals gathered after work for drinks and dinner. It was very casual. We ate outside both times we visited, once at lunch the day we arrived, and the other time for dinner. If anyone goes here, just make sure your not sitting down draft from the trash cans/ dumpster which are sitting in the hot sun. We figured this out too late on our first visit.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you suggest?

There is a place called the Cellar at the Southampton-suppose to have bands and stuff but have never been. I also like going to Elbow Beach for drinks ( about 8 min by cab) down by the RIVER-just kidding, couldn't resist the Chris Farley quote!! Anyway-Elbow has outdoor terrace area down by the ocean which is nice to have drinks. They used to have a great nightclub there too but has closed down beacuse of noise and now only has private parties. Pickled Onion is still good. Next to Little Venice is a wine bar and another cute bar which is a good happy hour place. Just walk around Hamilton and pop in to different places. You will have fun no matter what!!

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you suggest?

Another favorite "bar scene" that my husband and I enjoy partaking in would be the ol' bring your own alcohol, or buy some at the store along with some Barrit's Ginger Beer and have your own cocktails on your balcony or even discretely on the beach, overlooking the beautiful Bermuda scenery.

An Englishman in NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you suggest?

Thanks for the suggestions and yes Barb please eat in as many as you can and report back!

Bermuda
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you suggest?

Try the new Port O'Call restaurant which has reopened in the last few weeks after extensive renovations or their Pearl sushi restaurant upstairs. Stunning restaurant, excellent service, and not more than you'd be paying at Waterlot. Also Harborfront has moved to a new waterside location, completely remodelled, and freshed up their menu. Both are excellent choices.

I also don't see Salt Rock Grill on your list of places you've tried (the old Loyalty Inn). It's in Somerset near Country Squire. It is a must if you are down that end of the island. Great sushi and Bermuda fish. A local and tourist favourite.

Or try the restaurants in The Reefs Hotel. Coconuts offers stunning afternoon dining on the water. Very refreshing menu and you must try a Bermuda favourite - the Bread-n-Butter pudding.

Separately, if you find yourself in St. George's, my recommendation is the Carriage House. Old Bermuda feel, great vibe.

An Englishman in NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you suggest?

Thanks Bermudagirl for your insights, a couple of those sound right up my alley.

I know Ariel sands is being turned into condos, or whatever, but does the restaurant Aqua still exist in any form? Pleased be gentle with me KD I have had a long day.