We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor "ratings"

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor "ratings"

I am getting confused by tripadvisor's "ratings". Now you all probably know by now that I really like the new Newstead and have gone down there a few times as my parents are owners of one of the suites. So I like to see how it gets reviewed from time to time, knowing I will be staying there once or twice a year. So a few very nice new reviews got added, and the hotel somehow dropped from like the 7th rated hotel in Bermuda to the 17th rated. How does this happen? It seems somewhat disengenuous, especially when something like Ariel Sands is STILL ranked (16th at that) and has been closed for 18 months? NBH definitely had some bad reviews in the beginning when the resort was not complete and I think definitely opened too early to guests. But the last 8 reviews (and 11 out of a total of 15) have been the maximum 5 "circles". The average seems to be a 4.2, and yet hotels "ranked" above it have averages in the 3.5 range like Wharf Executive, Grotto Bay, Surf Side and Willowbank. I just find it all confusing.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

So why have you not posted a review yet ?????????????

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

Sorry found your review hidden away at the bottom !

We thought of buying one ourselves and went back last week -but we were very disapointed with the restaurant

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

Wow Beau Rivage was that bad? I ate there a few times in November and had very good meals and service, I hope it has not declined already. I am sure we will eat there once this June when I am back in Bermuda. So anyone have any clue what is up with the ratings?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

I think a lot of the problem was that the wait staff were rushed off their feet - a manager and 2 other staff and a barman were all we saw - Oh and our waiter was not french !

I think our overcooked food had been left under the heat lamp things too long in the kitchen before they served it

But thats still no excuse for overcharging us !

The taxi driver we used said that he had not been getting good reviews from people he picked up

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

I'm not sure that you can place any serious significance on the numeric '..rankings..' that TA applies to any of it's listings. Anyone who knows anything about a particular destination knows that there are '..holes..' in whatever fanciful 'system' employed by TA, that you could sail the QE2 through without the slightest risk of scratchin' the brightwork.

The individual past guest Reviews, Comments and Candid Photos listings still have a great deal of relative value...but TA's numeric 'rankings' are at the very least 'suspect'....and at worst 'cockamamie'.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

As an example of a fishy ranking, take a guess at what the #1 attraction is in London. Tower of London? Westminster Abbey? British Museum? No, it's Fat Tire Bike Tours. Seriously?

Personally, I pay much more attention to the overall traveler satisfaction rating than the ranking. For our upcoming trip to Bermuda I relied on the TA traveler ratings as well as a personal recommendation from a friend who has stayed there twice (Pompano Beach Club). It just so happens that it's ranked #1, but unless it were #999 out of 1000 hotels, it wouldn't make any difference to me.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

Perhaps we should ask T.A. to advise us on this one. I think we would all be interested to know how the rankings work. On past experience I am very aware that you have to read the hotel reviews very critically and try to ascertain if the trip has been for a honeymoon, when everything will be coming up roses and the hotel will be the perfect destination and nothing will be wrong with anything ( I once wrote a report on Galley Bay, Antigua, my first posting on TA and happened to mention that it was certainly not a five star rated hotel, as everyone else was saying, and I am pretty sure that I upset the brides as Galley is consistently up there as number 1 for honeymoons).

Also many people are not aware of TA and some older people especially would perhaps not wish to write a report.

Also, I do not believe that you can write a subsequent report on a hotel, which to me is curious as places change year on year as staff move on. I think we should be able to return to a report if circumstances have changed and write an update, which to my mind would be quite helpful for people trawling through the reviews.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

I of course love the newstead also. I have been going to Bermuda for 25 years (god I'm getting old-the big 4-0 is approaching in june) and stayed many places and think it really is the prettiest view and staff is great. Rooms are updated yet cozy. I would think they would be up there with the reefs and elbow beach and now of course, tuckers point. I still think most people on website read the overall reviews from travelers on hotels rather then the rating-I know I do. Sorry to hear about the bad meal at beau rivage-have dined there several times and food was great. Staff was a little on slow side but I just relaxed and enjoyed the view!!!

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

You need to bear in mind that the TA 'ranking' are termed as "..Trip Advisor Popularity Index.."...and there really is no objective 'standard' as to actual quality assigned. The "HOTEL" listings are at least 'arbitrary'...if not simply 'careless' Out of the thirty-four 'Hotels' listed....only twenty-two(22) would/might actually qualify as 'Hotels'...two(2) properties have been closed for years (Ariel Sands, Breakers)...eight(8) of the listings are small guesthouses or self-catering apartment properties (Clairfont, Ocean Terrace, Sandpiper, Marula, Syl-Den, Garden House, Brightside, Dawkins)...and two(2) smaller guest house listings aren't even ON Bermuda (Candle Glow, Lance Aux Epines). Add to this that some hotels are segregated by location categories ("Hotels in Bermuda", "Hotels in Hamilton", "Hotels in Saint George's", "Hotels in Tucker's Town") and assigned separate numeric 'rankings' based on location.

One can't help but wonder if anyone at TA actually knows anything about Bermuda??...or even bothers to review/edit these listings at all??

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripadvisor "ratings"

>>>As an example of a fishy ranking, take a guess at what the #1 attraction is in London. Tower of London? Westminster Abbey? British Museum? No, it's Fat Tire Bike Tours. Seriously?<<<

For Bermuda '..Attractions..' it's almost as SILLY--AQUATIC BERMUDA...a small self-drive, boat rental operation in Hamilton (with 17 reviews since openning for business a couple of years ago). A sound enough boat-rental operation...with a fine reputation...but...#1 (of 284) 'Attraction in Bermuda' ???...Com'on...that just rockets past the merely RIDICULOUS...careering well on its way to patently ABSURD....and makes a mockery of whatever cockamamie 'system' TA employs.