We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bermuda report

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bermuda report

Our vacation in April started off very well with a good flight and a faster track through customs/immigration than we've experienced in the last few years. Not so many people in the line, although our flight was full. Didn't see the tourist information until we had collected our luggage and gone past it, it's moved. The dogs had been brought in and it didn't seem to be a good time to leave the line. Got a taxi right away and had the usual lovely tour of the island to get to Sandys.

Yellowfin was very comfortable and we really enjoyed the covered balcony with its lovely views of the water on both sides of the bridge. Some of the view is obstructed by the palm trees but they do provide some shelter and privacy. Watched the locals parking and in some cases running for the ferry every morning while I drank my coffee in the sunshine. The sunrise, if you are up early enough, is spectacular from the balcony and the dining area windows.

Saw several container ships heading for Hamilton while we were there.

Walked to the Salt Rock Grill the first evening and took advantage of the Early Bird menu. Three courses for, I think, $24.

However by the next morning I had developed the worst cold and cough that I can remember. I was sick for three days so didn't do very much. Our hosts, who own the Freeport restaurant in the Dockyard, very kindly brought me a gift of several containers of soup, fish chowder and chicken noodle, when they heard that I wasn't well. I credit the soups for my quite fast recovery, the spicy chowder is good for clearing the sinuses!!!

We went to the little Gospel Chapel on the first Sunday as usual, although we attend an Anglican church in Canada, and were given the usual warm welcome. Our friend, a Bermudian, whom we first met when she was a university student in Wales fifty odd years ago, was leaving on a cruise so was not in church that morning. However some other people in the congregation invited us back to their home for lunch which we enjoyed very much. Both the lunch and the company.

We enjoyed a trip to the Aquarium and Zoo in Flatt's one day. We hadn't stopped there before. Bought some lovely books etc. in the shop there for my small grandson in Japan. Lovely for children there, recommend it. After a couple of hours caught a bus to St George's, had lunch in the White Horse, did some shopping and then took the ferry back to the Dockyard and the bus back to Watford Ferry.

Met a couple from Kentucky in the White Horse whom we got to know three years ago on the ferry from Darrell's Wharf over to Hamilton. The world's a small place isn't it when you think that they hadn't been back to Bermuda for three years and just by chance they were in the same place as us at the same time.

We enjoyed meals at the Frog and Onion and the Freeport at the Dockyard. Had several lunches at the Country Squire. Lunch at Mrs T's Tearoom at Willowbank. Lovely lunch at Coconut's at the Reefs. They offered us a ride back up the hill which was gratefully accepted!! There's a traffic delay out front because of the construction so we were taken on a somewhat hair raising ride in a golf cart through some property opposite, which took us around the problem spot and deposited us close to the bus stop.

Took the minibus to the Lighthouse to avoid climbing up the road, spent some money in the giftshop and then walked back down and headed for Coconut's which is a short walk away.

We read a lot, walked some, bought coffee in the coffee shop at the ferry dock in the mornings and a newspaper. Talked to the fishermen on the bridge. Bought a lovely jacket and a handbag at Orchid's in the Dockyard. Only spent a couple of hours in Hamilton. Generally mooched around and enjoyed the sunshine and the friendly people that we met.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bermuda report

Thanks for the report. How was lunch at Mrs. T's at Willowbank? We're considering a stop for lunch there this year.

As I recall the old main building is quite charming and the Willowbank resort location among the best in Bermuda.

USA
Level Contributor
28,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bermuda report

Gotta' love a review, when the worst '..criticism..' reads, "...Some of the view is obstructed by the palm trees...".

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bermuda report

We enjoyed our lunch in the very pretty tearoom. Pleasant staff, every table is different and of course Willowbank itself has a spectacular location. A very friendly staff member who has been there for many years gave us a tour of some of the rooms/suites. We have been in the main house several times but had never seen the accommodations from the inside.

A group from the cruise ship at the Dockyard was just leaving. Apparently Willowbank invites groups from the ships to visit, gives them a tour and free lunch/afternoon tea/morning coffee, whatever is appropriate.

We have had Willowbank's own afternoon tea which they serve to their own guests but not in Mrs T's. I can't honestly say that the lunch is worth making a special journey for but the overall experience is very pleasant.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bermuda report

Senior65, I'm glad you had a great trip and I'm glad you are feeling better. Kathy and her family were so welcoming to my husband and I. How are the bunnies doing? On our first night there I thought I was seeing things when I saw a bunny around the gate. Little did I know the owners raise them. There was a naughty bunny in "seclusion" right below the balcony under the tree when we were there. The owners also have a great garden in the summer and we were lucky to be able to try some of the fresh cherry tomatoes. Kathy and her husnad were so gracious!

My husband and I personally feel that the Freeport's fish chowder is the best around! It is definitely sinus clearing.

We loved Yellowfin and I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I especially liked how the bedroom was on a separate floor.

I'm curious, though, was there a small fan in the bedroom? If so, we are the ones who bought it. It was so hot in the bedroom when we stayed there last July we picked one up at the discount store next to the grocery store. I can't say it was much of a discount, but it definitely brought the air conditioning a little closer to us at night.

Did you have any insect problems? I'm wondering is April is better insect wise? Glad you are home safe! Thanks for the report!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bermuda report

I don't remember seeing a fan, but as it isn't needed in April it may very well have been there and I just didn't pay it any attention. We had a few ants occasionally but nothing much and easily taken care of.

Stefano entered some of the rabbits again in the Agricultural Fair at the Botanical Gardens and I believe won something. The hens and roosters which run around in the cemetery near the bus stop had lots of baby chicks while we were there.

The Easter lilies were in bloom in the garden, plus some roses and lots of other flowers. Also some tiny bananas. We had a bad storm one night with very high winds and a lot of noise from the sea crashing against the walls of the dock. Quite a mess the next morning from the palm tree fronds which were broken off.

USA
Level Contributor
28,038 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bermuda report

>>>We had a bad storm one night....Quite a mess the next morning from the palm tree fronds which were broken off<<<

Must have been a pleasant change from April storms in Canada....that usually leave snow drifts up to the 2nd story window sills ??

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bermuda report

Thank you for your report- I have been looking forward to reading it. I hope you are feeling much better now.

What would you say were the thoughts in general concerning the holiday bookings for this year for the Island? We are holding off making a booking for the moment; we hope to return in mid September and I am wondering if there may just be a few good deals after the main Summer months if we wait a little longer. Having said that, the two quotes I am holding for Cambridge differ by a good few hundred £s

with the price for two weeks from the 12th September, being markedly lower than the price for the 19th ( by about £400 ), maybe there is a reason for this; if not I am perplexed as to why the later date costs more. Perhaps there have been more bookings for the later date? It could be something as simple as that.

I wonder if the turtle is still swimming around near Watford Ferry, we saw him quite often last September.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bermuda report

Good to hear you had a fun time - save for the cold/cough episode....your pace is somewhat akin to what my wife and I enjoy - go with the flow, relax take it all in....I appreciate the comment about the ride from Coconuts up to the bus stop - that's quite a hike and for those of us who are Senior65's - I turn 65 in July and my legs aren't getting any better.....

Thanks for sharing your trip and hope to see more of your submissions on the Forum

Poppa

9. Re: Bermuda report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:37