We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

Philadelphia, PA
8 posts
Save Topic
Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are getting married August 29th in Washington DC, we've been trying to figure out where to go for a honeymoon. Ideally, we want somewhere close where we can just lie around on a beach doing nothing and relaxing. I went to Bermuda once about 11 years ago and loved it, so it strikes me as the ideal place to go (very close, beautiful beaches).

However, our honeymoon would be the first week in September, which is prime hurricane season. With hurricanes getting worse (now hearing they're forming off the east coast), is it really worth the risk to go and hope a hurricane doesn't hit us? Or if it does, to hope it doesn't hit badly?

I'm aware that some travel companies and hotels/airlines will offer refunds if your travel dates coincide with a hurricane, but I'm not sure if we also want to risk canceling our honeymoon (which would be a real bummer).

What do you guys think?

USA
Level Contributor
30,063 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

***ANYWHERE*** in the North Atlantic or Caribbean is going to have the '..potential..' for tropical storm or hurricane activity in late August/early-September. So if the slight possibility of this bothers you, select Kansas or Oklahoma for your destination (you may have to worry about 'twisters'..so wear your Ruby Slippers).

There is a wholy UN-justified '..perception..' of hurricanes associated with Bermuda. When one hears weather/news reports of tropicl storms/hurricanes, Bermuda is often mentioned---as a recognizeable geographic reference--"..Huricane Bob is 850 miles south-south-east of Bermuda.."...".."..Tropical Storm Dorothy is now 550 miles north west of Bermuda..". These storms may pass by within a few hundred miles of Bermuda...but do not usually effect Bermuda more than add a few clouds to the horizon at south shore beaches.

BUT for what it's worth, perhaps due to the 'mechanics' of global climate and weather patterns, Bermuda is very seldom effected by hurricanes---which have a tendencey to either veer off toward trailler parks in Georgis or out into the vast expanse of the North Atlantic.

If you enjoyed Bermuda before...you will enjoy it again for your honeymoon.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

You will have the same problem if you go anywhere in the Caribbean or Florida

No one can tell you what the weather will do

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

I would still go-their hasen't been one in years!!! Its such a beautiful island. Sept and Oct are lovely times to visit bermuda. I am actually going with friends the end of Sept. I'm not worried about it...

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

Daywalker, congratulations on your wedding! I would go to Bermuda for my honeymoon without a doubt! My hubby and I have been going to Bermuda in September every year (except last year) since 2001. Only once, did we experience a hurricane, and it wasn't that bad. Only 1 day of wind and rain. I would not hesitate to go to Bermuda during a hurricane, however, I would NOT go anywhere else. Bermuda stands up to the most fierce of storms very well. I think they were built for it.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

Yeah I don't think you can let that affect your decision although I understand your concern- you want the best honeymoon possible.

As others have pointed out, we're very rarely actually directly affected by hurricanes. It is a possibility, sure. But it's also possible that my February trip to Boston could coincide with a horrible winter storm. (which happens much more often than we are hit by hurricanes by the way!) However I'm not letting that affect my plans.

Not that you want to have a hurricane during your honeymoon......but there isn't a safer place on the planet to ride out a storm than Bermuda. So IMO the risk- which is present- is minimal and totally worth it.

San Francisco, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

I have visited Bermuda 7 times, four of those visits being in the months of September or October. Not once was our trip ruined by a hurricane. We did experience some cloudy weather and a few showers on one of the trips but due to the prevailing winds, Bermuda is rarely hit full on by a hurricane. Fabian was a rare exception.

The weather in September is glorious so don't fret. Go for it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

Perfect place to honeymoon - and Sept. is a great time to visit. Lovely weather and less tourists, so you will really enjoy yourself. Hurricanes?...think everyone here has covered it pretty well. Always a possibility, but not a strong probability. Over the decades we have been going, only experienced one first hand (not a big one, but big enough) and we rode it out just fine, with our hotel taking VERY good care of everyone. (Some hotels in Bermuda offer a "Hurricane Guarantee", so check with the property you are going to stay at.)So go and make your plans, don't worry, and have an absolutely wonderful honeymoon.

8. Re: Bermuda Honeymoon in September, worth the risk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 08:18