We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Charlotte
12 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Hopefully this report will help someone arriving in the next few weeks. I've split it up into topics to change it up a a bit

The Weather: quite simply, don't dwell on the weather report from Bermuda weather service. Before we went I remember checking it a few times, and it always had very dire predictions of rain, and cloudy. When we got there, the weather was quite nice. Sure it rained in certain parts of the island, and was sunny in others, but overall we had 5 straight days of pretty nice weather

The Reefs: it grows on you. When we first arrived I remember not being immediately "wowed". Sure it was nice, but it's a smallish hotel, and its charm just takes a day or so to sink in. The staff are all great and it's a nice contrast in a small hotel seeing the same faces each day (especially the Reef's bartender Dean - make sure to ask for the Dean special, rather than the standard tourist Dark and Stormy). My only complaint, if you call it that, was the rooms. They are definitely old and the Reefs tries hard to spruce them up without a doing a full-scale room renovation, but don't expect to be overly impressed with the rooms (good news - you won't be in them too often). Also we noticed that the Reefs during our stay was definitely weighted towards an older crowd (say, over 55-60?). That was offset by the 22-25 year old honeymooners. There wasn't alot of thirysomethings (we are 36) during our stay, so not sure if this is typical, but we found it interesting

The Food (at the Reefs). The Reefs food was relatively good resort food, but I would strongly suggest if you're staying there to also do dine around (and select Cambridge Beaches, over Pompano). The Reefs food does begin to get repetitive even for a short stay (mainly a rotation between steak, lamb and rockfish) Also get breakfast delivered to your room for a few days. It's nice addition to just wake up and have a full breakfast delivered.

Man of war: I figured to spice it up a bit, I would give you a dedicated topic breakout on the Man Of War. When we arrived, it was crazy. There were 25-30 of these suckers right in the water off the Reef's. They seemed to gravitate towards the right part of beach away from the rocky area, and so a few of us brave souls swam. And on the second day, they were all gone. Must be the currents or something, but it definitely made the swimming more interesting (good news they are very easy to spot on the top of the water- they float like a small blue football)

Things to Do. Okay, this section is going to be really weak, because we didn't do much. Stayed on the property (the Reefs) most of the time, with 3 notable exceptions:

Exception 1 - Mopeds - loved them, but they are a bit dangerous. I believe they had 8 deaths this year, but don't quote me. Just be careful and don't look behind too much. Also I personally found Middle road to be the most difficult (hair-raising) road to moped on

Exception 2 - snorkeing/cat trip. Although we had fantastic weather the snorkeling was okay at best. Rough seas that week made snorkeling a bit challenging, and kept the visibility low. The cat trip (Fantasea) was fun for a 3 hour excursion, but probably not that much diff than any of these trips in any other Caribbean islands/etc. We probably overall had the best snorkeling experience right outside the Reefs.

Exception 3 - day trip to Hamilton. We enjoyed Hamilton - although we were only there for about 4-5 hours. It's a nice town, relatively clean, and nice shopping. I would highly suggest doing a quick trip there

Overall Bermuda was a great trip for us - hopefully your will be/was as great.

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Trip Reports here on this forum are always welcomed...but have a tendency to become '..buried..' within the archives over time.

It would be MOST USEFUL if you were to post a HOTEL review & Comments on the separate TA HOTEL page for The Reefs--

http://tinyurl.com/ktcpxs

And since one of the most persistent questions and concerns that prospective guests have of any hotel or guest accommodation is, "..WWHAT ARE THE ROOMS LIKE ???...it would be really useful to post any photos of your room (identifying it by room# and rate category...it doesn't matter if your partially unpacked bags and dirty laundry is in the frame...or if the bed is made...people can make allowances). Though clever vacation snapshots of palm trees and sunsets are pleasant...photos of the physical property--public room, guest rooms, etc are MUCH MORE USEFUL. These CANDID TRAVELER PHOTOS go a long way toward providing a '..sense..' of a property and its amenities and 'balance' hotel web site photos.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

TimBuckTwo...thanks for sharing your report and comments. I can add alittle insight for you about the age difference from my experience. I too honeymooned at the Reefs back in 1979. I remember thinking the same about there being only honeymooners and older crowd. Between then and 2001, while we did travel to Bermuda, we seldom stayed at the Reefs. We only booked the Reefs when we did not have our children in tow. Now, we go every year (with the exception of last year). I think that most 30-50 somethings are busy with children. Taking time to get away, and cost could be another factor. Sometimes it was just hard to justify spending that $$$ unless it was a special occasion.

BTW...what exactly is that 'special drink' that Dean makes. Perhaps I should get one while there in September.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

TBT - interesting obvservations on The Reefs - pretty much a capsule of our 6 visits.

We started our visits to the property in 1997, I think and back then the GM was Neal Stephens, a really guest oriented individual also, what I learned from staff - a fair and equitable boss.

Food - i think in our early visits it was better and the with more of a variety. don't get me wrong - never had a complaint about the food.

As for the older crowd - we were 52 when we started out visits and our last, in 2005 we were 61. I think the attraction to the mature set is the consistency of the place - also the staff who remember names or put on a good act when they find out you are a 'repeater'.

We've also been to the sister report Nisbet on Nevis in the B.W.I. - not as old a crowd - yet the same amenities as The Reefs, with good food and a fantastic location.

In closing - glad you had a good time and thanks for taking the time to tell the Forum about your experience.

Fussyguest - we were married in 1969, just celebrated our 40th and a happy 30th to you.

Poppa

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Thanks for your report on The Reefs TimBuckTwo. We're planning an end of summer visit there and noticed in our confirmation letter that jackets for men were 'preferred' at Ocean Echo. How were most men dressed there? With strict airline baggage weight limits these days I don't want to pack more clothing than I have to.

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

There's no weight limit on the clothing one may wear aboard an aircraft...so nothing prevents or impedes you from wearing a sportscoat or basic navy blue blazer aboard the aircraft.. No packing or weight restrictions apply....as simple as that.

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
216 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

More importantly, is a jacket necessary?? I'd prefer not to bring/wear one if I didn't have to...

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Great review Timbucktwo but looks like you have been ordered to return and take pictures of your room next time !!!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Nice report...........Thanks for sharing with us.......

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Unfortunately...NO...a jacket is not required by the 'dress code' for any of the dining spaces at The Reefs Hotel is '..Smart Resort/Casual..'.

Frankly I'm surprised that The Reefs would even bother with the, "...jackets are recommended but not required...Patio seating for 40 diners is slightly less formal smart casual.." notation for the newly renovated Ocean Echo dining room...since clearly some people can't take a '..hint..'.

Charlotte
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Reefs June 2nd to the 7th

Jackets - great question!.

First off all, I'm the most casual person in the world - so the concept of wearing a jacket to work, let alone on a vacation is completely foreign to me. So of course, I did not bring one. I did bring nice long pants, and 3-4 long sleeve shirts (nice Nordstrom ones). I wore those for dinner and felt completely in the middle in terms of dress - there were people more dressed up (i.e. jackets), and yes, even people less dressed up (pants with short sleeve golf shirts)

I would say, though, the Cambridge property did seem more condusive to jackets. Seemed a bit more "upscale" - whatever that means

Anything else?