We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New King's Wharf Cruise Port

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New King's Wharf Cruise Port

Has anyone docked at the new cruiseport at King's Wharf yet? Our cruise stops there mid-October, and my sister is in a wheelchair - we want to make sure that this is now a docking port and not a tender port. They say that as of June 2009 they christened the new dock, but you can't always believe what you hear!

Any other advice for motorized wheelchair travel in Bermuda would also be greatly appreciated. Again "they" say that Bermuda ferries are wheelchair accessible, but that means different things to different people.

Thanks!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

On the whole, Bermuda is not great at wheelchair accessibility (although they are getting better). To ease your worried mind, the docks at Kings Wharf in Dockyard are docking ports and not tenders.

Most ferries and ferry docks are wheelchair accessible--you board on a ramp. However, I am not sure if the Bermudian (a large ferry that runs right from the cruise ship docks) is or not. A guaranteed wheelchair accessible ferry can be found after leaving the cruise ship arm and is located directly across from Bonefish restaurant. Look for the catamaran-style ferries.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

Wow - thanks for the quick reply! It does ease my mind to know that she can get off the ship easily at King's Wharf. And the option of a ferry makes Bermuda more wheelchair accessible than lots of other cruise destinations! Thanks so much for the info on finding a suitable ferry - it's great to feel relieved!

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

As noted above, Bermuda--in general--is not especially user-friendly to those with personal mobitity issues.

ACCESS BDA--

http://www.access.bm/

In specific, your cruise ship will berth alongside the King's Warf/Heritage Wharf cruise pier and will be easily enough accessed with a motorized chair. Bermuda has only recently added fifteen new buses with wheel-chair access

www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp…

but for the most the time being, the wheelchair ramps are not being deployed. So buses continue to be problematic for those with serious physical mobility and especially those in wheelchairs.

Public ferries will be much more wheelchair 'user-friendly'. The ORANGE ROUTE--Hamilton/Dockyard/Saint George's...BLUE ROUTE--Hamilton/Dockyard...and GREEN ROUTE--Hamilton/Rockaway ferry routes will all have relatively easy, 'roll-on/roll-off' wheelchair access. The PINK ROUTE--Hamilton/Paget/Warwick (harbour ferry) will NOT have wheelchair access.

Within the Dockyard complex and downtown Hamilton, there will be 'curb-cut' ramps for street crossings via wheelchair.

Most Bermuda taxis are NOT equipped to carry wheelchairs...but there is at least one taxi operator that does provide wheelchair accessible taxis. The owner/operator is also handicapped--

Keith Simmons

1 Loyal Hill

Devonshire Parish

Tel: +1 441 295 9016

E-mail: keithsimmons@ibl.bm

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

>>>I am not sure if the Bermudian (a large ferry that runs right from the cruise ship docks) is or not?<<<

The BERMUDIAN was originally designed for service as a cruise ship tender/ferry and has drop-down boarding ramps...and will allow 'roll-on/roll-off' access for wheelchairs.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

This is GREAT information! Thanks so much Keith and KDKSail. We only have a day and half in port, so we won't be able to get in a ton of sightseeing anyway, but knowing we can hop a ferry into Hamilton and check it out, and get back again without too much hassle is great news! Now, if any of you have an "in" with the weather, please put in a plug for us on 10/24 and 10/25 :) :) :)

Thanks again to all of you!

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

I noticed in your last post that you will be in Bermuda Sat Oct 24th and thought that you might be interested in seeing the Bermuda Tattoo 2009. It is one of the Signature Events for Bermuda's 400th anniversary and is being held Oct 22-24th at The Keep at the Dockyard.It is hosted by The Band and Corps of Drums of the Bermuda Regiment.The Bermuda Tattoo website is www.bermudatattoo.bm

Click on "tickets and access ",then click on where it says "you can read more ticket information here".

Then look under Section D "Facilities for the disabled ". Make sure that you keep reading past the part in bold type to find more important info about guests in wheelchairs and their attendant guest.

Unfortunately,I was not able to have our Bermuda holiday this Oct coincide with this event,so when I saw your post I thought that maybe I could pass this info on to you and you could enjoy it for me ! I have seen the BDA Regiment Band perform several times.This event should be fabulous. Since they have special arrangements for wheelchairs this might be something that your sister could enjoy. The performance starts at 7:30pm and is approx 2 hours long.

Have a great holiday. Bermuda is an amazingly beautiful and friendly island.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

Thanks so much for this information BDAfanatic. I just saw your post and checked out the website and all I can say is "WOW"! For one thing, I hadn't realized that this is Bermuda's 400th anniversary year and for another, I had never heard of Tattoo! The name alone doesn't begin to describe the production... I know we will want to attend and I'm so sorry that you can't be there. But thank you so, so much for the tip, because entertainment is our #1 pursuit, and this looks like it will provide all that we could imagine and more. The fact that it will right there at King's Wharf/Dockyard is almost too good to be true. We'll be sure and get our tickets ahead of time now, making sure to obtain wheechair accessible seating. Thanks again for such an outstanding tip!

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

If you will be in Bermuda around late-October, there are a couple of other interesting 'events' that might attract your interest--

GOMBEY SATURDAYS in the PARK--

October 24th & 31st--12:30pm--1:50pm

Par-la-Ville Park, City of Hamilton

Cultural Events: Don’t miss a tantalizing performance by Bermuda’s electrifying Gombeys in Par-la-Ville Park located in the City of Hamilton. Dance alongside one of Bermuda’s favourite cultural traditions and take photographs of Bermuda’s dynamic Gombey dancers.

BEATING of RETREAT CEREMONIES--

October 28th--9:00pm—-under-the-lights along Front Street, City of Hamilton

Ceremonies: In the early days of organized warfare, the drum was used as a means of communicating with warring troops. That practice developed into what later became known as Beating the Retreat when the Drum Major and his Corps of Drums would march through city streets to parade Post Guards and to signal the closing of the camp gates at the end of the day. Today, the Band and Corps of Drums and the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band presents this colourful parade and performs. Music, marching/counter-marching, colourful uniforms & costumes...lasts approx. 75-90 minutes. Look for a spot along Front St. near the Flagpole/reviewing stand/Burnaby St. If you're disabled, they may allow you to sit on the reviewing stand.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

KDKSail,

Yours are some of the most valuable, informative, and most importantly, fact-filled posts that I have seen on these forums (for Bermuda... I'm assuming that is your specialty!) I can't believe that you have helped people over 17,000 times!

Thanks so much for this information. It is a huge help to know ahead of time what there is to do and see (beyond the usual things). While we are only there for one day and a half, we may be able to consider some of what you suggested. It sounds like a very nice time to be visiting, and very impressive to be celebrating 400 years.

Thanks again for all of your posts. I'm especially appreciative of the information you provided me above, and will probably be giving Keith a call.

Laurie

10. Re: New King's Wharf Cruise Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 05:17