We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Topic
Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

My meet-up is coming up. I have 28 interested in coming but only expect 5-15. Can anyone suggest a inexpensive restaurant/bar probably in Hamilton or Southhampton for next Tuesday or Wednesday evening?

Thanks!

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

I would say that for a lower cost bar (some nibbles options, too) in Hamilton, The Broadway Bistro at the Beach along Front Street is a good idea. Kind of a dive, but it is centrally located and they have good specials for drinks.

Not sure where to recommend in Southampton, but in nearby Warwick, the South Shore Swizzle is a great choice. Good atmosphere, reasonable prices and excellent food (yes, pub food, but the bar-b-que chicken nachos are awesome!). No reservations needed, unless we are there during prime dinner hours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

If I pick the one you recommend will you definitely show up? :-)

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

What is the verdict on the day and time? I want to come, but I do have volleyball on Tuesday night. So other than that, yes, I will be there!

Both of those places are very casual, too. If you want a slightly more upscale place, I would suggest other locations, but either the Beach (as we call it) in Hamilton or South Shore Swizzle in Warwick are good options and easy to get to.

USA
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

Depending on where different people are coming from, downtown Hamilton is probably the best choice of locations...if for no other reasons than it being 'central' and having a wider variety of public transportation--bus & ferry--options

First choice would be the HOG PENNY PUB...which would be fine if the group was smaller...not so good if it ran to the 15 possible attendees....otherwise...FLANAGAN IRISH PUB--2nd level of the Emporium Mall on Front Strett...or PICKLED ONION, 2nd floor on Front Street.

An off-center alternative might be LV's PIANO BAR & JAZZ LOUNGE on Bermudiana Road (just up from Pitts Bay Rd).

For the south shore, SWIZZLE INN-South Shore at South & Dunscombe Rds.is probably good....or perhaps the PUB bar at HENRY VIII, farther out in Southampton. If the weather is fair, there's also the terrace outside.

I haven't been in The BEACH at Front & Court St. in Hamilton lately...but I understand they've cleaned the place up and the cops are seldom called in to break up bar fights anymore.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

Flannagans, Hog Penny, Cafe Cairo and the Pickled O are all possibilities, but they are a bit pricier. Another option on Front Street is Docksiders or even Rosa's Cantina. I am not a huge fan of either place, but they are on the same price level as the Beach.

And if we are at the Beach a bt earlier in the day, it isn't a problem--the problems come about a bit later, past 12 midnight or so.

Shame we can't meet up on a Friday--there are some good happy hours at the Lemon Tree, Newstead, Hamilton Princess and Cafe Four!

USA
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

Given that it would be either a Tuesday or Wednesday evening...and that there are no cruise ships berthed in downtown Hamilton...and that there will be no Harbour Nights activities in downtown Hamilton (the last for this season was Aug. 26th)...and that you need somewhere with a fairly broad appeal to participants...go for the HOG PENNY PUB. Odds are, even if a larger group shows up, with slower downtown 'traffic' mid-week...you shouldn't have difficulty finding room in the bar and getting tables later for dinner if any decide to remain. The dinner menu at the Hog Penny is sufficiently varied and moderately priced, for Bermuda...and it is after all, a minor Bermuda '..institution..'. If the Hog Penny does prove problematic for dinner for a larger group...then there are any number of other places, within easy strolling distance, as dinner alternatives.

For any interested, they could arrive before time and spend some time browsing around downtown Hamilton stores and shops before stopping for the get together...and for those using public transportation, have less difficulty making their way back to their guest accommodations afterward...and taxis will also be readily available.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
7. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

Now I have soooo many choices. Thanks. Gonna look into all these places and make a final decision.

KDKSAIL, I wish you could come, you always have the best advice. I'm staying at the Grotto Bay like you did.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
8. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

I've narrowed it down to 4

Broadway Bistro

Flanagan

Docksiders

Rosa's Cantina

Since this meet-up is for residents of Bermuda do any of these stand out as a better choice for locals? It's going to start at 5 or 6 till probably 8. (I still have to look up the bus times.)

Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

>>>KDKSAIL, I wish you could come, you always have the best advice. I'm staying at the Grotto Bay like you did<<<

Then that makes two of us....any excuse to pack a bag and get on a plane to Bermuda is a good one. While you're at Grotto Bay, make certain that you make the acquaintance of June-Ann Furbert, the hotel's Guest Services & Social Director--concierge. In an emergency, the lady has enough energy to provide electricity for the entire island for weeks on end, is delightfully charming and an encyclopedic source of Bermuda information.

The resort is pleasant...but if '..beach..' is high on your agenda of things to do...either hop on your rental scooter (if you've never ridden a scooter before, PRACTICE by riding around the driveways and parking lots of the resort for several minutes to get a 'feel' for the equipment before heading out into traffic) or make the short walk down the entrance drive to the bus stop and make your way to the south shore (left at the Swizzle Inn, around Harrington Sound, through the golf courses to the South Road, then straight ahead...approx. 15 mins very pleasant minutes by scooter to John Smith Bay, 40-45 very pleasant minutes to Warwick Long or Horseshoe Bays). Don't even bother decending the stairs to the bit of sand at the resort. It's a 'beach' and it's in 'Bermuda'...but it ain't a '..Bermuda beach..'...not even close.

To stock the mini-fridge in your room, there's a small convenience store (Tony's??..up the hill, past the Swizzle Inn and a short walk along the North Shore Road) where you can find 'companions' for the liquor that you 'released from the captivity' at the Duty Free store at your departure airport (at least that'd be my story...and I'd stick to it) that you brought with you (a drink after a shower to remove excess tanning lotion & pink sand or late-nite-cap on patio/balcony while you try to come up with plausible excuses to tell your boss for why you've been unavoidably detained--'quarantined' would be a nice touch--in Bermuda and won't be back at work on the appointed day...a rare allergic reaction to Red Foram (homotrema rubrum)--the 'pink' in pink sand--"..Who knew??..").

If you go down to the caves at Grotto Bay, the water temperature in the swimming cave (Cathedral Cave) will 'look' colder than it actually is..but will be in the low-70°s...warmer than you might think...and fine for swimming.

The Monday evening 'Barbeque' and Thursday evening 'Surf & Turf' events down at the Pool restaurant are great...skip lunch these days. The Afternoon Tea service is more 'cookies & cake' than 'Tea' (though tea is also served)...and not really worth cutting-short anything else to return early.

USA
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venue recommendation for 5-15 people

If this gathering is for residents, then they will probably have their own transport. For you, the public transport connections back to Grotto Bay will run until 9:15 PM for the #10 and 11:45 PM for the #11 buses.

Of the group...BROADWAY BISTRO may no longer be available, as such...the old Broadway Bistro/La Coquille space at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI) since converted over by Little Venice's HARBOURFRONT operation...though Harbourfront would do as well.