We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Rockfish on the island?

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Rockfish on the island?

We go to Bermuda often and love Rockfish. Who makes the best Rockfish and why? Going to the Rock in Oct and trying to get dinner ideas. Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

I've never been a fan of the restaurant...or 'fish' in general...but a friend, who's lived, fished and dined on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay for decades (so he outta' know Rockfish)..considers himself a well versed, Rockfish connoisseur...rates the preparation (pan fried, topped with bananas & almonds) at the LOBSTER POT among the best he's ever tasted--

LOBSTER POT--

http://www.bermuda.com/hosted/lobsterpot/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

Two supurb rockfish dinners that we had were at Baracuda Grill on Burnaby St in Hamilton, and also at dining room in Coco Reef Hotel(former Stonington Beach Hotel).

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

The local 'rockfish' is actually grouper. It is called rockfish because the fish hang out around the rocks (makes sense). So the rockfish that KDKSail was referring to is actually striped bass--Morone saxatilis. So slightly different fish--not to be confused once again with the 'rockfish' that you find in the Pacific northwest (family: Scorpaenidae, genus: Sebastes). That is the problem with having common names for things...

Anyway, I think the best local rockfish I have had in Bermuda was at Aqua (at Surfside Beach Club). It was pan seared with a bit of pepper, spices and butter, served over local green beans and a side of cheesy mashed potatoes. It was so good.

But, any place that you go will probably have 'good' if not 'great' rockfish, as it is freshly caught and purchased by the restaurants.

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

Thanks for the opins. The rockfish that Bermudababe described at Aqua sounded very good. I'll have to go there. I can also order it by the species name now. "Sir I'll have a pan fried Morone saxatilis please" LOL!!! Thanks again. Adeline

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

Sorry, that was the marine biologist in me coming out. Just wanted to make sure you knew that it isn't the same as other rockfish you may eat in the US. The local rockfish is really what most people call a grouper.

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

Nothing to be sorry for. Your info was great. I was just having fun. Adeline

7. Re: Best Rockfish on the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:19