We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

I was thinking of going to Newsteads Friday Happy Hour then making a reservation to eat outside at Beau Rivage.However,based on the reviews,I'm beginning to think that we should just go for Happy Hour,or change our plans altogether.I have several ideas for going elsewhere,but was just wondering whether I should stick with my original plan.I know that trip advisor reviews are often from people who either loved a place or disliked a place,with the middle of the road people often not posting.So any thoughts as to whether or not I should scrap part or all of my plans would be appreciated.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

I have been to Beau Rivage 4 or 5 times, and while it is not my favorite restaurant on the Island (that goes to either Rustico or the Dining Room), I have enjoyed my meals there very much. I have missed the happy hour, but my parents said it was a lot of fun. I think you should try it, the views are incredible, and from my experience the food is quite good.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Having had dinner there a few times. The food is very good but not alot of entree's. The service can sometimes be slow but we enjoy watching the sunset and the view of hamilton on a beautiful night...another great restaurant everyone raves about and we will be dining there next weekend is splendido, which is only 5 min from the newstead. You can see the ocean from the dining patio. Either one is a good choice.

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Thanks for your quick replies.I just read the Newstead posts and they all seem to give Beau Rivage a more positive review as well.I will take your advice and stick with my original plans as it sounds like a fun night out,and convenient since we will be staying close by at Salt Kettle House.

We already have reservations for Splendido for our "first night back on the island " dinner and are planning to go to The Dining Room and Rusticos.We are still trying to decide whether we should go to Rusticos for lunch when we go to Shelly Bay beach,or whether we should go for dinner.Any thoughts ?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Rustico for lunch - the best value on the island -wish I could come too !

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

When in Bermuda I love to just roam the streets,so this year I thought that one of our walks could be from South Shore Road up to Middle Road ,then on to Flatts and lunch at Rustico before we walked to Shelly Bay.I'll probably be hungry,so I'll eat for you too ! Thanks for the reply.

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Actually, do you have any ideas as to which would be the most scenic route to walk ,from South Shore road to Flatts ? Any distance is fine as I love to walk and my husband knows that he has no choice but to tag along .(lol)

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

>>>I was thinking of going to Newsteads Friday Happy Hour then making a reservation to eat outside at Beau Rivage. However,based on the reviews,I'm beginning to think that we should just go for Happy Hour,or change our plans altogether<<<

I'm not sure how much any other opinion of the Beau Rivage will affect your decision...BUT...it's worth noting that the Friday Night Happy Hour at Newstead runs from 7-to-10 PM...and while a festive, party atmosphere is certainly conducive to launching week-end plans after a long work week...it may not be quite so conducive to leisurely dining?? Even if you dine later, at least some portion of the staff is going to be involved in the clearing and clean-up of the outdoor terrace.

Toronto,Ont
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

Newsteads website says that the Friday Night Happy Hour is 5-9pm.Has that changed ? I guess that I was mistaken because I thought that happy hour was by the pool and more separate from the outdoor dining area. Our reservation is for 7pm and I was really only interested in eating outside so, if the happy hour is located right in the same area as the dining , should we go just for happy hour and come back another night for dinner ?

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

>>>do you have any ideas as to which would be the most scenic route to walk ,from South Shore road to Flatts ? Any distance is fine as I love to walk and my husband knows that he has no choice but to tag along<<<

One assumes that you don't plan to make this walk after the Happy Hour at Newstead.

As for walking from some point along the South Road to the Flatt's Village...I suppose the most picturesque route (at least it's a great scooter ride) would be up DEVIL'S HOLE HILL (just a few yards east of John Smith Bay) from the South Road to HARRINGTON SOUND ROAD (approx 300 yards)...then LEFT onto HARRINGTON SOUND ROAD, along the western shore of Harrington Sound, to Flatt's, at the intersection of Harrington Sound/Middle/North Shore Roads. The distance from the South Road to the intersection at Flatt's is approx 1.4 miles. Bear in mind that there is little in the way of sidewalks along any of the possible walking routes.

Partway along the route, along Harrington Sound Road, you'll come to and pass under a recently renovated, stone foot bridge. I'm not sure what the property is or who occupies it these days...but in decades past (up until the late-'60s) the large building up on the hill was the DEEPDENE MANOR hotel property..and the footbridge provided guest access to the property's Harrington Sound waterfrontage.

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservations for Beau Rivage ?

I'm not positive of the hours...nor whether it runs until 9 or 10 PM (not that it'll make much difference)...nor am I sure when the Happy Hour 'season' ends....but the property isn't so large that ambient noise from Happy Hour isn't going to intrude on the outdoor dining area...or that at least some portion of the staff (most hotel staffs have been 'cut to the bone' to begin with) isn't going to be involved in Happy Hour service.