We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
134 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

We are going to Hamilton, Bermuda on Thursday. I normally spend a good deal of time studying before going on a trip to somewhere I've never been, but I found out a week ago that I will be going for work. My husband is coming with me. I've been reading the forums, the travel guides on line and books.

Thursday and Friday, I'll be working. Dinner has been planned at a couple of really nice restaurants for Thursday and Friday night (Port O Call and Harbourfront). My husband will join me with the others at these dinners. What is the dress at these restaurants for men and women?

Also, I've read in the books they sent me that Bermuda is more proper than the US and folks should dress more than they do in the US, to go out. On Saturday, we plan to see the island by rented moped - and have not planned any place specific to eat or things to do, yet. I know we will go to the beaches. We would normally wear shorts and a T-shirt for beach days in the US, but not sure what to do for Bermuda. Please help!!

Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
27,358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

>>>We would normally wear shorts and a T-shirt for beach days in the US, but not sure what to do for Bermuda<<<

Dress codes on Bermuda have relaxed a bit over the past century or so. Women are seldom seen at the beach wearing petticoats and whale-boned corsets...so your proposed wardrobe should fit in quite nicely.

As a general rule, dress codes for most better restaurants is no more than 'Smart Resort Casual'..and most frequently simply '..Resort Casual..'...there;s only one(1) restaurant in Bermuda that requires jackets for gentlemen ('loaners' available)--THE POINT dining room at the new Tucker's Point Hotel & Spa.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
134 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

Thanks for your response. I just don't want to embarrass myself by being under dressed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

As for attire for your beach days, t-shirts and shorts will be fine.

Make sure to wear proper shoes if you rent a moped. Sandals and flip flops are a bad idea to wear while riding on a moped. If you need to stop quickly you will put your foot down and the sandals will likley come off, wear sneakers.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

One of the things I love about Bermuda is that compared to most places, it is a dressier place (although, as previously mentioned, the dress code has somewhat relaxed in the recent past).

When out and about for sightseeing: casual clothing is fine. You can always tell the tourists from the locals by the clothes, but are good in a shorts & t-shirt. As also mentioned previously, if you are on a moped DO NOT wear sandals or flip flops! Not only can they come off easily, but if you lay the bike down (have an accident) you will tear the beejeezes out of your toes! No fun to have hamburger for feet!!

At the beach: a swimsuit is fine, although note that thong-type swimwear is frowned upon. When leaving the beach (or going to), men should always have a shirt on and women need to have a coverup or clothes on top of their swimsuit. It is the (antiquated) law, and police can write a ticket for men not wearing shirts or women walking around in bikini tops (not so sure they would write a woman a ticket, but I can see them getting a guy who is walking around shirtless! Not really sure they enforce it anyway, but you will feel out of place if you are not dressed appropriately.)

Going out: err on the side of being too dressy. The local description is 'Smart Casual.' For men, this means slacks and a collared shirt (some places do require a jacket). No sandals for men--they will turn you away at certain restaurants!!! It happened to my husband just last year. For women, a nice skirt, dress or capris & a dress top are fine. I find women can get away with a bit more than men, but again, the others around you will most likely be looking their best. Besides, it is nice to dress up for dinner!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. This is a nice time of year to visit. Water temp today was 82 degrees...

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
134 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

Thanks for the help and advice!! I love that Bermuda is nicer than other places, as well. Its nice to be dressed well and see everyone else doing so. My clothes worked out fine and my husband's did as well.

He generally wore polo style shirts with Khaki's for day time and a dress shirt/navy jacket with gray slacks for dinner.

For work, I wore a suit or dress. For the beach day, I wore a nice buttoned collared blouse and a pair of linen shorts. Wore dresses to dinner.

We loved it! Thanks again!

6. Re: Clothes in Bermuda - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:16