We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

We have the chance of a couple of great deals in the UK for these 2 hotels, but can't decide which one to go for. I have been reading the forums and taking everything in, (thanks to everybody's info) But I am getting very confused. We are only going for a week.

Cambridge Beaches we can get half board and Grotto Bay All Inclusive, it doesn't matter to us which package we take. It will be our 28th Wedding Anniversary so all we want to do is chill out around the hotel/ Beach. We will have an occasional jaunt out.

But basically would like great views, calm sea for swimming/snorkelling, good food, nice comfy atmosphere.

Also does either of these hotels heat their pool, as we will be going in about 2 weeks, and does anybody know the sea temperatures right now?

Which one should I go for HELP PLEASE :-)

USA
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

>>>Cambridge Beaches we can get half board and Grotto Bay All Inclusive, it doesn't matter to us which package we take. It will be our 28th Wedding Anniversary so all we want to do is chill out around the hotel/ Beach. We will have an occasional jaunt out. But basically would like great views, calm sea for swimming/snorkelling, good food, nice comfy atmosphere<<<

GROTTO BAY BEACH RESORT is a pleasant enough 'mid-level' resort. CAMBRIDGE BEACHES is a 1st class small, Bermuda '..cottage colony..'...one of the very best in Bermuda. If the additional cost of meals at Cambridge Beaches doesn't bother you that much....then go with CAMBRIDGE BEACHES over Grotto Bay in a heartbeat.

The food at Grotto Bay is certainly '..adequate..'--ranging from 'good' to 'very good' on selective ocasions.. The two dining rooms at Canbridge Beaches--Tamarisk Room & Breezes Terrace--are among Bermuda's better restaurants.

There is a '..beach..' at Grotto Bay that is well protected, with flat/calm water--no surf. Your view across the bay that the beach fronts onto is of the end of the airport's runway and main terminal building...with views of the main Causeway and vehicular traffic connected Bermuda east-to-west The beach at Cambridge Beaches front's onto Bermuda's western shore, which is well protected by the broad, offshore barrier reef system. The water here is flat/calm--no surf. You view is westward, across the Atlantic to the horizon, with the potential of spectacular sunsets.

Grotto Bay does have one '..advantage..'. Being this close to the airport (1.1 mi. door-to-door), your taxi fare from air arrival terminal to resort will be cheaper...and the ride shorter.

Go with CAMBRIDGE BEACHES

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
USA
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

>>>Also does either of these hotels heat their pool, as we will be going in about 2 weeks, and does anybody know the sea temperatures right now<<<

The indoor pool at Cambridge Beaches is heated…the outdoor pool in not heated.

The outdoor pool at Grotto Bay is heated.

Average daytime Air Temps may run anywhere in the range of high-60°s-to-high-70°s

Average Ocean Water Temps will be more consistent and probably range in the low-70°s

BERMUDA Weather averages by Month (Season)—

http://www.weather.bm/data/climatology.html

Look at the daily weather & conditions reports for this past month of October, 2009 for possible weather patterns and trends—

weather.bm/climatereport/climateReport.asp

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

It is difficult to compare these two properties, as they are nothing similar.

Cambridge Beaches is a cottage colony located on a beautiful and picturesque/secluded bay at the far western end of the island. It offers lovely views and several small beaches. It has a spa, infinity pool, and seems to be a very relaxing and low key sort of place, with good views and two fine restaurants and food.

Grotto Bay is, located at the eastern end of the island, near the airport. and its buildings are situated on 21 hilly, well manicured acres, overlooking the bay. It has a small but nice beach, heated pool, and has a more laid back, very Bermudian atmosphere. Grotto is definitely not as fancy as Cambridge Beaches, but it is a very popular well run property, which offers two nice dining options (restaurants) within the main house building. Hope this information is helpful.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

Both properties seem to be quiet, laid back, but in different ways. Cambridge seems to be more upper class, refined. I don't mean that to snooty, but there just seems to be a different 'air' to the place. It is a beautiful property, well appointed rooms and dining is reported to be good if not excellent.

Grotto...I have never heard a single bad word about it. nice property, good value, child friendly (I don't think this is true for Cambridge), close to the airport. Caves are on the property to explore. They are two completely different properties. I do think that Cambridge is easier to walk around, less hilly. Just my opinion

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

In my opinion, if cost is not an issue, Cambridge Beaches is the place to go.

I think you will find the accommodations and the food to be far superior at CB.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

Wow, thanks for all your replies, We REALLY like the sound of Cambridge Beaches, it sounds just what we are looking for, we love fine dining as opposed to buffets anyway. So our All Inclusive is not that important (drinks, snacks, etc) - quality is definitely the way for us.

We can enjoy 2 really good meals a day, breakfast and a fab dinner. Not bothered about lunch maybe a little snack can be bought, hotdog or burger?

On the MAP - can you tell me if there are lots of 'suppliments' on the menu's or can we have virtually anything in any restaurants? For instance if we choose to have eggs for breakfast, cooked by a chef are they included or extra's?

And will ALL the eateries here be still open in 2 weeks?

I read somewhere that Breezes was not included on MAP.

Also although we don't use the gym, we will want to use the water stuff, the indoor pool and more importantly the spa/whirlpool regularly. Are these all included in the MAP or are they extras?

Actually can anyone tell me what the extras on MAP are? I know drinks and beers will be, but we don't mind buying the odd beer or cocktail if they are not outrageously expensive! We will have to be careful.

Sorry so many questions, but need to know about the eventual cost over and above the MAP.

Thanks for your help on my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

The MAP program...I can only speak for the Reefs....which, everything on the menu is offered as part of the deal. There is a continental breakfast with fruits/pastries/cereals, juice/coffee/tea, then there are the menu items. You can have both if you want. As far as the dinner, I do think that you order basically 3 courses, although, we have order 4 and never have been charged for the extras. Many people will take items from the continental bar fruit & pastry back to the room for a mid-day snack (lunch). Then there is afternoon tea. At the Reefs, tea consists of tea sandwiches (tuna, cucumber, salmon, egg, etc), cookies, small slices of date bread/pound cake. you would not go hungry. If you were to order lunch at one of the restaurants at Cambridge, I doubt it would be included in the MAP. It would not be included at the Reefs, nor would alcohol drinks.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

With regard to your questions re Cambridge; the breakfast menu is excellent with lots of hot dishes including cooked to order omelettes with the filling of your choice. After a large late breakfast we cannot manage lunch and if you feel a little peckish before your dinner, afternoon tea and sandwiches are offered as part of your MAP plan.

Breezes was certainly part of our plan, but maybe later in the year it may not be. Even if it is not, do not miss the experience of the most amazing sunsets, viewed from Breezes with a cocktail in hand, an experience you will never forget.

The indoor pool is available to all and open all year. Have a wonderful holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
USA
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

>>>quality is definitely the way for us....Cambridge Beaches, it sounds just what we are looking for, we love fine dining as opposed to buffets anyway. So our All Inclusive is not that important (drinks, snacks, etc) - quality is definitely the way for us.....On the MAP - can you tell me if there are lots of 'suppliments' on the menu's or can we have virtually anything in any restaurants? For instance if we choose to have eggs for breakfast, cooked by a chef are they included or extra's.....will ALL the eateries here be still open in 2 weeks?....Also although we don't use the gym, we will want to use the water stuff, the indoor pool and more importantly the spa/whirlpool regularly. Are these all included in the MAP or are they extras.....what the extras on MAP are? I know drinks and beers will be<<<

There is nothing inherently '..wrong..' with Grotto Bay. It's a perfectly fine mid-level resort....but If relative '..quality..' is a priority for you, then the scale tips decidedly in favour of Cambridge Beaches.

The MAP rate plan at Cambridge Beaches will include your room, breakfast, an afternoon tea (small '.t') and dinner. To the best of my knowledge, there are no supplementary charges. Breakfasts will take a page from Britain's greatest gift to mankind, '..the full English breakfast..' (Magna Carta and Noel Coward come in a close 2nd & 3rd) with a breakfast buffet, that includes among many other tasty items, a custom 'omelet station'.extras Lunch will be extra...but that probably won't matter all that much as you will most likely be out 'n about exploring and enjoying RESORT BERMUDA.. You may also sign-up for the limited (limit on available tables) '..Dine Around' program with The Reefs Hotel and Pompano Beach Club). Liquor and drinks won't be included...but perhaps like many, you'll make a stop at the Duty Free shop at your departure airport and bring along a bottle or two of your own personal favorites to keep in your room (rooms have mini-fridges) for drinks on the patio after-shower and nite-caps.

Use of pools, hot tub/whirlpools and fitness equipment are included in all rate plans...but various on-premises 'spa treatments' are extra. The outdoor, BREEZES may be (probably will be) closed for dinner in the evenigs by November....reflected in the lower, off-season rates.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge beaches or Grotto Bay?

That's it then you lovely people - we are off to book Cambridge Beaches RIGHT NOW!!!!

Thank you so much for all the amazing info you have given us, We can't wait now :-)

I am so excited!! We will definitely visit the duty free shop for our tipples.