We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Who we are: My brother and I visited. It was his first trip, for me probably the fiftieth or so.

Where we stayed: We stayed at Fourways Inn on Middle Road. I am very partial to this property and have stayed here probably about ten times. It is small, quiet and has a very charming ambiance. We were upgraded to a two room suite with private patio overlooking the pool and gardens. Breakfast is included in the rate and is delivered to the room. It is a generous pot of coffee or tea, fresh fruit (melons, grapes, pineapple) and six pastries (croissants, muffins, and sweet rolls).

Fourways is located an easy walk from the grocery store (handy as rooms have microwaves and fridge), the bus stop, the ferry stop (Darryl's Wharf) and the Bermuda Railway Trail. The beach is about a twenty minute walk from the hotel. Beach privileges are at Coco Reef Hotel.

Transportation: I rented my bike from Mrs. Thomas at Elbow Beach Cycles. Although I have been riding for well over forty years, Mrs. Thomas thoroughly checks out her renters before permitting them to leave the property. I find her refresher safety course helpful. She is very professional. She or one of her staff picks you up at your hotel.

My brother preferred not to ride a bike. He and I bought transportation passes . We took the ferries primarily but did use the bus a couple of times when it was raining (I do not like to ride my bike at night or in the rain, so I rely on the super public transportation system Bermuda offers for those times). We also enjoyed many long walks along the Bermuda Railway Trail.

Where we ate:

I think the best meals I had were at Fourways, Splendido at Horizons and the Tamarisk Room at Cambridge Beaches. All three were really exceptional. Ascots is an old favorite of mine as well. The meal there was very good and the service was excellent. Blu is also quite good. I missed a return there my last visit, so was glad to be able to be accomodated this trip. The HogPenny which I have enjoyed for years was not really up to snuff. Service was fine but the food was pretty bland. We tried Mad Hatters which I had heard a good deal about. It is fine but the menu is overly ambitious. There must have been fifteen specials on for the night. Service was slow and not very polished. I thought the food was fairly ordinary.

Spa: I went to Cambridge Beaches Ocean Spa. I have tried a number of spas in Bermuda and I like this one best. It is quiet and the service staff are very professional. The setting is lovely. I highly recommend calling to inquire if there are specials being offered. Thanks to a poster on this forum I was aware of several.

Bermuda Passport: This is a complimentary discount coupon booklet offered by a number of hotels off season. I called Bermuda Tourism to find out what the benefits of the passport were. Because the person who answered the phone did not know she agreed to call me back after she checked. When she did call all she could say was that it contained "discount coupons for a variety of restaurants and shops". Actually it is pretty comprehensive and worth checking into if your hotel offers it. It had spa, shop, restaurant and cycle discounts.

Highlight of the week: The Bermuda Holiday Boat Parade. I think almost eighty boats were entered. It was great fun and the fireworks were great. I plan my December visits particularly so I can attend the boat parade. It was a big disappointment to have it cancelled last year.

Bermuda is changing and like most old fogies I hate some of the change. There were a number of reports about the increase in violent crime. I was repeatedly warned against walking alone in the evening. Litter which used to be very uncommon, is noticeable. The people on bikes seem to be trying to intimidate or scare other drivers. I think I was the only driver doing the speed limit, the bikes are very fast. One thing which really struck me was the noise from car radios. I guess the saddest thing was seeing the Waterloo House as it is being torn down. I stayed there many times and I hate to see it go.

But change is inevitable and I hope that some of the new construction and businesses will help Bermuda thrive as tourism declines. I for one will be back. It remains my favorite island in the sun and it is another world.

Best wishes for the holiday season.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Glad you had such a wonderful trip. I also love the fourways-such a charming place and wonderful food. Also love stopping in the peg leg pub for a drink. I wish they would have music at the pub-it is such a unique place. I too was saddened to see the waterloo house all boarded up-have stayed there a few times and also enjoyed lunches outside by the water-it is such a shame....there was alot of construction going on in town this summer, and excited to see the end result. I do sometimes miss all the action of the cruise ships coming into hamilton(not so much when I am trying to get a table for dinner) but do hope someday they will allow smaller ships there to dock again. Like you said even with all the changes we still love it and always keep coming back...

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Great report. I hope to try out Fourways this March when I am down again. My siblings and I ended up getting my parents the dine-around 3 dinner gift certificate, which includes Fourways, so hopefully we will try it out with them. Oh, Lisa, you will be happy to hear that Holland America's Veendam will be calling on Hamilton 24 times in both 2010 and 2011. She was scheduled to call on St. George's as well, but it appears that she is too large and will have to anchor north west of Fort St. Catherine's and tender her passengers into St. G's. But I am looking forward to seeing a HAL ship back in Hamilton when I am there in JUne..

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Awesome, I am glad to hear that...I cant believe you have not been to fourways...it is awesome and I'm sure it will be one of your fav's

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Waves Hello!!! How are you? So glad you had a great time..We are finalyl get back to Bermuda for June..One of my hubbys Christmas gifts to me.Our daughter will be 2 then < I cant believe it! ..We are thinking about the Pompano

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Two? Time sure does fly! I think Pompano would be a first rate choice for you and your daughter. I stayed there two years ago and would give it very high marks for comfort, food quality, personal service and water access. Have a wonderful trip, your husband really knows how to shop!

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Yep, I cant believe how fast she is growing, We did name her Cambrie, after Cambridge Beaches :) She is a doll! I am so excited about getting back to Bermuda...I know it may not be as relaxing with the little one, but Im already counting the days...We wil be bookign with Pompano soon..

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Cambrie is a lovely choice...and I can't imagine being named for a more beautiful spot. I had a wonderful time there visiting the spa. What views!

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

Smiling :)

9. Re: Just back from a wonderful week in Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2010, 05:16