We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

Nuernberg
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

Hello,

would appreciate if someone gave an indication of the cost of food and beverages at Newstead. Thinking of staying there, but can't find breakfast or dinner menu with prices. Would you recommend eating at Newstead or venturing out to Hamilton for the most part?

How much would a dinner for 2 would cost at the Reef's restaurants? How much are the drinks at the Reef?

Thanks a lot,

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,065 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

>>>How much would a dinner for 2 would cost at the Reef's restaurants? How much are the drinks at the Reef?<<<

I just dug out a receipt for dinner-for-two at OCEAN ECHO at The Reefs last summer--$178...which included a couple of before-dinner cocktails, dinner (appetizer, entrée, coffee & dessert) with a couple/few glasses of house wines, plus the 17% gratuity. The receipt printing is faint/bliuured.

At properties like The Reefs, Pompano Beach or Cambridge Beaches, signing on for the MAP plan (as well as 'Dine Around') is probably the best idea as well as the best 'deal'. At least for The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches, their five(5) on-premises dining rooms (sufficiently different in ambience & menu as to be distinct) would probably place somewhere on almost any Top 10 list for Bermuda restaurants.

If the choice falls to Newstead-Belmont Hills, then all the varied dining options of downtown Hamilton are quickly and easily at hand.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

Stayed at the Newstead two weeks ago. The dinners at Beau Rivage tend to run in the same price range as Reefs, 80 - 100 bucks per person including drinks and meal. Now as there are kitchens in many of the rooms at the Newstead, we always had breakfast in the suite, out on the balcony. We tended to eat one night at the Newstead, and then hit Hamilton or other areas for other dinners, sampling a great variety of places.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
Nuernberg
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

Thank you both KDKSAIL and bostonspider for your great replies. It helped in budgeting our vacation.

I emailed Newstead reservation address with questions about their daily breakfast prices. I have not heard back and it's been over 24 hours. Newstead rooms are a bargain compared to The Reefs and Pompano, but I am afraid that eating out will add up very quickly during our 3 day stay wiping out the savings on a room.

Where is the closest grocery store to Newstead? Hamilton?

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,065 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

>>>Where is the closest grocery store to Newstead? Hamilton?<<<

In practical terms...yes...The nearest supermarkets to the Newstead will be in downtown Hamilton.

There's a MARKET PLACE supermarket, located on Victoria Street (at Brunswick) that a couple/few blocks west of the main bus terminal...and the MILES MARKET (a smaller 'gourmet market'), located within the '..Waterfront..' offic/condo complex, quite literally '..tucked in..' down an alleyway off of Pitts Bay Road, a couple/few blocks west of the main ferry terminal. MILES MARKETS probably has the best Prepared Foods & Deli section in Bermuda (though the one at the MarketPlace is pretty good too) for picking up the fixin's for a wonderful '..picnic supper..' to enjoy on your own candle-lit patio or balcony.

MARKET PLACE--

http://www.marketplace.bm/

MILES MARKET--

www.miles.bm/Reborn-MilesVer3/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

There is also the Lindo's in Warwick that is very close to Newstead; although, get a taxi--do NOT walk on the narrow roads to go there! You are taking your life in your hand! It would only be a 2-3 minute taxi ride to this grocery, which is a step inbetween the Marketplace (low end of the scale) and Miles (gourmet grocery experience in Bermuda), thatKDKSail mentioned previously.

Breakfast prices are probably on the order of $15/person, based on what I recall from the fall. As Bostonspider indicated, you can get your food at the grocery and cook in your kitchenettes. Of course, you are on vacation, so it may be the preferred route to dine out for a great breakfast overlooking Hamilton Harbour...

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,065 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

The MILES MARKET also has one of the better wine selections in Bermuda...with 'splits' and half-bottles of decent wines available. Sometimes you just feel like a Mimosa with breakfast or a Kir Royal as an apéritif but don't feel like polishing off an entire bottle (using day-old champagne just doesn't cut it).

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

Natalia........We've stayed at both The Reefs (9 times) and Newstead (2 times) and we would recommend both places, for different reasons. I think you've figured out that you're comparing apples to oranges when comparing rates. At The Reefs, the published rate includes a full breakfast, afternoon tea, 4 course dinners at any of their 3 restaurants, as well as the ability to dine at Cambridge Beaches or Pompano on the dine around plan. They also have nightly entertainment. Last year, I believe a glass of wine was $10 and a Cosmo was about $9. That could have changed by now.

If you want all of your dining needs (other than lunch if you have room for that!) covered, the food at The Reefs is excellent. If you want the freedom to go wherever you choose for dinner or to eat in, Newstead is great for that. Last June, we stayed in a Studio Deluxe and loved having breakfast and/or dinner on the lanai. The views of Hamilton Harbour are spectacular!

As noted by others, both Miles Market and The Market Place in Hamilton (directly across from the Cathedral) have wonderful delis. Thanks KDK.....I hadn't thought about mimosas, but now I am! The dessert choices at Miles are amazing!

At Newstead, there's a ferry stop at the edge of the property and they also have a complimentary water taxi that runs on a limited schedule. On a few occasions, a taxi was our only option when returning from dinner, but I don't remember it as being unreasonable.

As a side note, the staff at both The Reefs and at Newstead are fabulous!

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
8. Re: Price for drinks & food in Newstead? The Reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:16