We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mopeds/Scooters

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mopeds/Scooters

Is this a good way to see the island? Are they safe?

Any idea how much one is for the day?

Thanks in advance

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

Ordinarily....rental motorscooters are the best way to get out 'n about explore, see and experience Bermuda...along your own route(s), on your own schedule...making any stops that you like along the way...and...they're a wholle lotta' fun.

As to safety, the usual caveats apply. Rental motorscooters are most definitely NOT FOR EVERYONE...and only you can judge whether they're right for you. Motorscooters are SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLES...and no matter how 'Disney-esque' Bermuda may appear, they are NOT 'amusement park rides'. They MUST be approached and ridden with that same discretion and RESPECT due any SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLE.

The 'catch' to riding rental motorscooters at this time of the year is the relative un-certainty of winter weather. During warmer, high-summer season, occasional rain showers are a '..welcome relief..'. The air is warmer, wet streets and roads dry quickly, windy conditions less frequent. During off-winter season weather conditions MAY be more unsettled...and riding a bit 'chillier..'. You'll have to make your own judgements on the basis of the actual weather during your proposed visit.

The first rule of riding rental motorscooters is: DON'T BE STUPID. If there are 'tricks' to riding rental motorscooters safely, they are that you PAY ATTENTION and take seriously the pre-rental orientation and 'check ride'. Ask questions if you don't understand something..and ask the question again if you don't understand the answer. After you've completed the rental process and BEFORE you head out into traffic in a haze of four-stroke smoke, find a parking lot or quiet street or road and PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE riding for 10-15-20 minutes--starting (throttle response) , stopping (braking response), turning, riding in circles, figure-eights to begin to familiarize yourself with how the scooter operates, responds and '..feels..'. Do this first as a 'single' and then do it all over again as a 'double' if you will be riding with a pillion passenger. The extra weight alters how the equimpent will operate, resond and 'feel'.

If there is one mistake that riders make most frequently, it is that they will try to '..force..' situations...stopping too quickly, turning too late/quickply when they spot a turn-off thay want/need to take. Don't try to 'force' a situation. Keep going until you find a safe spot to stop, turn around and come back at the place or turn you want. What's the rush?? You're on vacation for heaven's sake. DON'T BE STUPID. The ER at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital is on noone's 'Top Ten' list of ''.places to visit in Bermuda..'.

There are several motorscooter rental liveries in Bermuda. We've (along with numerous family, friends & acquaintances) have been renting from OLEANDER CYCLES for decades and have always been VERY SATISFIED with their equipment and service...as well as the fact that Oleander has locations all over Bermuda should problems arise.

OLEANDER CYCLES--

http://www.oleandercycles.bm/

Other good motorscooter rental liveries are--

WHEELS CYCLES--

http://www.wheelscycles.com/

SMATT'S CYCLES--

http://www.wheelscycles.com/

EVE'S CYCLES--

http://www.evecycles.com/

ELBOW BEACH CYCLES--

http://www.elbowbeachcycles.com/

Philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

They are the best way to get around and see the island. The bus and ferry system is good but if you can, mopeds are better. If you can ride a bike, you can ride a moped - I have been riding one for over 30 years (sometimes with one of my kids on the back)! Just take your time and observe all the traffic laws and you will do fine. Watch out for sand on the road; mopeds have a tendency to skid a little on the sand. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

>>>They are the best way to get around and see the island. The bus and ferry system is good but if you can, mopeds are better. If you can ride a bike, you can ride a moped<<<

I agree that mopeds/motorscooters are great...the very best way to get out 'n about Bermuda. I'm a HUGE fan....but profoundly disagree with specious maxims like '..if you can ride a bike; you can ride a moped/motorscooter..'. This is one of those bits of off-based wisdom that gets those people who shouldn't be aboard mopeds/motorscooters into trouble. The objection/question to the maxim is: ".. When was the last time that you rode a 250-300 lb. bike ??...at 25-30 mph ??...on narrow, winding, unfamiliar roads ??...in traffic ??...probably with an passenger aboard ??...on the '..wrong..' side of the road ??

A motorscooter is NOT a '..bike..'. Get aboard a motorscooter believing that it's '..just a bike..'....and you're courting serious trouble. You need to approach riding a motorscooter with the same degree of discretion and RESPECT that you would any SERIOUS MOTOR VEHICLE--2 or 4-wheeled.

Edited: 14 December 2010, 02:58
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

"If you can ride a bike, you can ride a moped"

quite possibly the worst most dangerous advice i have read on this forum. make no mistake about this-scooters are dangerous even well experienced local motorcyclists die on our roads on a regular basis.

baltimore
Level Contributor
606 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

The Biggest problem I had: Trying to Remember to Take-off on the LEFT side ! ( for me and spouse- too dangerous).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

One of the best ways to see the island is to hire one of the Blue Flag taxis for perhaps half a day. It will cost you about $50 an hour and you will get a guided tour by a knowledgeable driver. If you tell the driver what your interests are they will factor that in. You'll get lots of local stories, maybe some "tall" ones too. Rides on the buses and ferries will do the rest. People ride the ferries and buses all the time, not going anywhere in particular, just along for the ride. You'll hear plenty of stories from them, too!!

Edited: 14 December 2010, 14:10
USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

>>>scooters are dangerous even well experienced local motorcyclists die on our roads on a regular basis<<<

I'm equally adamant about motorscooter '..horror stories..' as well. Motorscooter are not inherently "..dangerous.."...**IF** approached and ridden with the discretion and RESPECT owed to any SEROIUS MOTOR VEHICLE...by the 'experienced' and in-experienced alike.

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

>>>The Biggest problem I had: Trying to Remember to Take-off on the LEFT side !<<<

Funny that...in that it reminds me of all of the '..clever..' ways that I've seen people employ to remind themselves to STAY LEFT

--a woman riding down the road with a very large, red ribbon and bow tied to her left rear view mirror.

--a small Bermuda flag taped to the stalk of the left rear view mirror.

--a guy wearing one glove (ala Michael Jackson) on his left hand.

--a friend's wife riding as a pillion passenger, squeezing her husbands left side every few minutes (which eventually turned black 'n blue later at the beach).

--a scooter in a parking lot with a card taped over the instrument pod, with STAY LEFT written on it in large letters (and no doubt the turn signal remained on and flashing...right up until the scooter ran out of gas)

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am sure we will have no problems handling the scooter, I think staying left would be more of a concern.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mopeds/Scooters

*I think staying left would be more of a concern*

funny you should mention this because a very high percentage of the fatal collisions involving tourists happen because they are on the wrong side of the road.

it isn't that two wheeled vehicles are inherently dangerous, it's that it's a statistical fact that a motorcyclist will be involved in a crash sooner or later.