We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Jumping?

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cliff Jumping?

Does anyone know any good cliff jumping spots (nothing too crazy) that are easy for tourists to get to? I've heard some stuff about Horseshoe Bay but never checked it out. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
27,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff Jumping?

The only spot that I know of where kids '..cliff jump..' regularly is from the cliff above Clarence Cove, at ADMIRALTY HOUSE PARK.

The not-so-little '..catch..' to this spot is that the 20-30 foot leap is okay for kids (with little in the way of weight and body mass).....but perhaps not so good for bigger/heavier (and most probably dumber) adults. There is a rock shelf at the bottom of the cliff, at a depth of perhaps 6-to-8 feet. For a 50-60 lb. kid, who knows exactly what to expect, it's no big deal....but for a 160-200 lb. adult who doesn't, it could be an occasion for an orthepedic surgeon at the ER of KEMH to remove that adult's knees from their jaw.

Perhaps it's just best to leave '..cliff jumping..' to the '..professionals..'...kids...who're probably gonna' live forever...or at least think they will...when they think at all.

USA
Level Contributor
27,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff Jumping?

There is a spot at Horseshoe Bay that kids jump off of when no one's around to stop 'em---PEEL ROCK, at the eatern end of the beach. It's a perhaps the most '..dangerous..' spot along Bermuda's south shore...claiming several lives over the years, in part because of severe '..rip currents..' that seem to form there...and because people are STUPID enough to think that it's a good idea to climb and leap off of Peel Rock.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff Jumping?

As a youth I used to cliff jump from Admiralty House Park. On our many returns to the island we still visit this nice little spot and there are always a few teenagers taking the leap. I was tempted to relive the glory days but my dear wife put a stop to my thoughts!! There is one spot at this location where you can dive in to the water and then climb out and work your way up through the cliff.

USA
Level Contributor
27,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff Jumping?

>>>then climb out and work your way up through the cliff<<<

It's useful if you've a small shoe size.....so that you can wear the old sneakers that the local kids leave lying about for scrambling back up the rocky path to the top.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff Jumping?

Peel rock has killed a few people and put a few more in wheelchairs due to spinal injuries from diving headfirst into shallow water, not rip currents. If you want to dive off of something high then go to watford bridge just outside of somerset village. You will need shoes to swim in to climb up on the rocks to get out of the water.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliff Jumping?

i definitely wouldn't recommend it as i've seen too many people break necks doing this. but if you decide your life is worth living dangerously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSJ7tYcU3A

www.youtube.com/watch…

please consider much of what is seen in these videos is ILLEGAL not to mention crazy. but there are tons of places where people cliff dive and such.

USA
Level Contributor
27,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliff Jumping?

>>>diving headfirst into shallow water, not rip currents.<<<

You're right of course...it's the rip currents that carry the unconscious or lifeless bodies down along the south shore...making if difficult for searchers to find the corpses. If the fall doesn't kill ya'. ordinary, garden-variety, drowning will.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliff Jumping?

Are you from Bermuda? Would you happen to know the spot where those people are jumping off in the beginning of the first video where there's a lot of people. Is it horseshoe bay?

USA
Level Contributor
27,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliff Jumping?

NO...none of the cliff sites are out along the south shore or anywhere near to Horseshoe Bay. One site is Clarence Cove at Admiralty House Park...and for the others, I suggest that you e-mail this local group directly-- http://www.sjabermuda.org/conactus.htm --Ask them for the exact location and be sure to tell 'em that you're interested in '..cliff-jumping/diving..'. If you do get a response, please share it with the rest of the forum. It should be interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliff Jumping?

Just curious, does anybody know whether or not the white platform they were diving off in the YouTube video is taken near the oil docks close to Ferry Reach?