We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

Has anyone taken the Veendam cruise to Bermuda? It leaves from N.Y. city and I am considering this cruise with my husband and 2 daughters. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Also, is it necessary to pick a dining time to eat? They are telling me to choose a seating. Also, what suggestions of things to do in Bermuda. We prefer to go off on our own than to spend a fortune on excursions. Any suggestions? Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
27,722 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

The HAL '..Veendam..' is supposed to make two(2) port calls in Bermuda...arriving first at Saint George's on Tuesday morning, anchoring out off of the harbour and ferrying passengers by tender to shore...before transiting around into downtown Hamilton and berthing along Front Street in early evening (6 PM??) The ship then reains berthed in downtown Hamilton until Friday. The process of 'tendering' ashore at Saint George's is a bit of a hassle....but....for approx. 1/3 of the 'Veendam's Bermuda visits last season, the ship skipped the initial Saint George's port call (due to weather/sea conditions) and came directly into the berth along Front Street in downtown Hamilton. A much better and more convenient arrangement all 'round.

The HAL 'Veendam' spends the longest time in Bermuda of all of the various Bermuda cruises...and this is a really good thing...a big PLUS for HAL.

For more specific information of the 'cruise' portion--ship, cabins, dining, activities, events, tips, etc--you should probably scroll through the much more detailed cruise line/cruise ship specific information to be found at forums like CRUISE CRITIC-- http://www.cruisecritic.com

For what to see and do in Bermuda...scroll through the archived TOPIC 'threads' of this TA Bermuda forum for a great deal of general and detailed information, advice and experience...then return with better directed, more specific inquiries.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

Thanks KDKSAIL, will start my research! Thanks!

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

If you have kids, Holland America is not the ship for you. Just got back from the Veendam to Bermuda and it was basically an elderly person's ship. Facilities for kids are pathetic at best. Go with NCL or from Bayonne on ROyal Caribbean. Bermuda is the best but that ship is a bummer!

Mt sinai
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

I took the Veendam last August , it was nice. It was just adults in our group, but there were alot of children on board. The itinerary is nice, because your not out at the Dockyard, your right in Hamilton, closer to everything. I did'nt make a set seating for dinner, I made reservations the day before while at sea, in Bermuda I ate off the ship. I would wait til I got to Bermuda to choose activities. When you get off the ship there is a tourist desk that will assist you. A very nice civilized desk, not a crazy bunch of taxi drivers forcing themselves on you. You will love Bermuda, I'm going back for my 26th visit in August. I enjoyed the Veendam but its nothing like staying on the island.

USA
Level Contributor
27,722 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

>>>When you get off the ship there is a tourist desk that will assist you<<<

If there is a general rule about cruise ships (and for Bermuda in particular) if you take the time and do a bit of personal research on available shore excursions, tours, activities, you can almost always do much better by booking shore excursions on your own...directly with the operator. Local excursion and tour operators must pay one helluva' a kick back to the cruise lines and so the cruise line shore excursion price list usually reflects this.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to book the cruise. It was a little disturbing to read that STOLLERSHOP said this was more of an elderly person's ship, but I am hoping from what I read that this won't be the case. I am going on August 14th, so I am hoping there will be alot of other teens on the ship since school is still out. Still have not done anything about the dinner reservations. I am usually one for booking things in advance, but I am hoping that if we wing it and play it by ear, we should not have any problem, since in mid August, and maybe less busy?? I wonder about that...

USA
Level Contributor
27,722 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

It wasn't the' Veendam'... but we took and extended-family cruise last summer. Among our group were three teenagers. Within an hour of boarding the ship at the westside cruise terminal, each of these kids had made a half-dozen or so teenaged, 'new best friends' and were scarcely sighted for the remainder of the cruise.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

I am taking the Veendam cruise to Bermuda this August and I wonder if we have to bring our own beach towels?

Mt sinai
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

no , they supply fresh beach towels daily

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of booking Holland America Veendam cruise/Bermuda

Great, thanks!