We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Flavor

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Local Flavor

If you come to Bermuda, you "must have" the ________. Insert food and/or drink item. Thank you.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Flavor

There are really no must haves, especially as we don't know your likes and dislikes.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Flavor

Fish chowder with black rum and sherry peppers. The national drink is a dark n stormy which is gosling's black seal rum with ginger beer, but the most popular local drink is black n coke.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Flavor

Bermuda Fish Chowder laced with Outerbridges Rum and Sherry Peppers!!!! To wash it down, Dark N'Stormy and/or Yellowbird, and for dessert...Rum Cake! Yum

Edited: 22 June 2011, 18:17
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Flavor

I would toss in a pitcher of rum swizzles, but if you order it you damn well better have a lady sitting at the table with you to blame it on.

USA
Level Contributor
27,129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Flavor

>>>Bermuda Fish Chowder laced with Outerbridges Rum and Sherry Peppers!!!! To wash it down, Dark N'Stormy and/or Yellowbird, and....I would toss in a pitcher of rum swizzles...<<<

As noted above, I fall into the '..there's nothing absolutely "..must have.." in Bermuda...' category. I do know that many others consider fish chowder, laced with dark rum and sherry peppers to be 'cuisine de rigueur'...but I've never been a big fan of chowders. But I gotta' admit that I will make time for a pitcher or two of the Rum Swizzles at the Swizzle Inn (acccept no substitutes...order your second pitcher when the first arrives to save time) during every visit.

But mainly I stick with the more generic medicinal properties of gin & tonic---the quinine in the tonic to ward off the effects of malaria, the fresh lime to ward off scurvy and the gin to sterilize the glass (...or at least that's my story and I'll stand by it...so long as I'm still standin')

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Flavor

if you happen to be in a restaurant that has codfish n potatoes on the breakfast menu, go for it. this is the traditional bermudian sunday breakfast consisting of boiled cod fillet, a hard boiled egg, boiled potatoes covered in a tomato sauce (every chef has his own variation on the sauce recipe) a slice of avacado, and johnny bread. island cuisine at heron bay plaza in warwick do a good one, as does mr chicken on queen street in hamilton.

IOM
Level Contributor
305 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Flavor

All of the above, plus Red Bean Soup (with sherry peppers), Hoppin' John (local variation of peas and rice), Wahoo Steak (fish), all washed down with a Planter's Punch (if you don't like Dark n Stormy).

For breakfast, go to a greasy spoon and order a Chopped Egg on Toasted Coffee Roll.

Now I am hungry!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
181 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Flavor

Thank you for your suggestions! I am going to try all of the above food and drinks!! Love the "medicinal" purposes of the gin & tonic! I guess that can be applied to all cocktails!!

Lancaster...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Flavor

Look out for a great local product called Gombey Pepper Jam made by these two teachers. Bermuda Jam Factory jams are great with cream cheese! It's a must have!

Boston...
Level Contributor
427 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Flavor

Swizzle and Dark and Stormy! we just got backk yum