We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food question

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
food question

I will be in Bermuda next weekend. My husband just asked me what type of delicacy is Bermuda famous for. I told him that I have no idea. Maine has lobster, Maryland has crab cakes, is there anything like that in Bermuda for him to try?

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Maine
Maine
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
USA
Level Contributor
29,216 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food question

Bermuda has RUM SWIZZLES...a cunning blend of fruits, berries and the distillation of natural cane sugars....very tasty. Order your second pitcher when they bring the first to save time.

A '..traditional..' Bermudian breakfast would include cod fish cakes, potatoes, eggs and johnnycakes.

One '..specialty..' might be Bermuda Spiny Lobster...but is seasonal from September through March.

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
2. Re: food question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 01:38
Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food question

Other specialties include Fish Chowder (served with small jugs of Black Rum and Sherry Peppers on the side) and Shark Hash. The local fish is usually very good (check with your server as to whether it is imported [and probably frozen]) - especially fresh wahoo, rockfish and dolphin (a fish not Flipper).

Rum Swizzles vary considerably and many people have their own receipe. Another local drink is Dark and Stormy (Black rum and ginger beer).

Enjoy your trip.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food question

I like the chicken, mango and avocado salad which seems to be on a lot of menus. Good at the Salt Rock Grill in Somerset. The Freeport in the Dockyard has Shark Hash and The Frog and Onion has a good selection of British type food. Cornish Pasties are good, so are the fish and chips and the Shepherd's Pie. They also have lovely apple pie which you can have with custard instead of icecream. Now, how British is that.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food question

There's also a drink called Yellowbird which is very nice. Not sure what's in it, a mix of various liquers.Good at the Country Squire in Mangrove Bay.

baltimore
Level Contributor
736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food question

Fish/funny shaped lobsters

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food question

Wow, thanks. Just one question, what is Shark Hash? The way I make hash is with potatoes and some type of beef. What kind of shark is it? Sounds interesting maybe after I have my Rum Swizzle.

8. Re: food question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:19