We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Grocery Store

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Grocery Store

We were in Costa Rica earlier this year, and we asked the cab driver to stop at a grocery store on the way to our B&B. Well, he must have taken us to his cousin Juan's place, because, as we found out later, this store was much smaller and more expensive than the places in the town at which we were staying.

We want to stop at a grocery store on the way from the airport to our hotel, the Surf Side and I'm going to be more specific to the cabby by specifying exactly what grocery store I want to go to. I read a 4 year old TA post that mentioned the Modern Mart, which looks like it is right on the path a cab would have to take. The web site also makes it look like a normal grocery store that regular people would use, but I thought I would ask if, in the fours year since that post, there is was a better option now.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with exactly what you need but I just thought I would mention that you aren't likely to have that issue in Bermuda unless you greet the cab driver by insulting his mother.

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

Along the most usual route between the airport and SURF SIDE, along the South Road, you will pass HARRINGTON HUNDREDS supermarket in Smiths parish (nr: John Smith Bay)...then the A-1 supermarket in Devonshire (at: traffic light at Collector's Hill) and them the MODERN MART supermarket & liquor (no liquor sales on Sundays) on the South Road in Paget.

Any of these markets will serve your purpose. They're ALL just the "..normal grocery store that regular people would use.."....but since the MODERN MART supermarket & liquor will be the closest and probably most convenient to Surf Side, this should probably be the one to stop at...to pick up stuff and familiarize yourself with the layout of the store.

The odd thing is that there is a large, light-yellow building, located just down the road from the Surf Side entrance drive (100 yards or so...across from the Shell gas station..next to the scooter repair shop...and within easy walking distance of Surf Side). This large, yellow building was originally built by ARNOLD'S MARKETS and was supposed to be a supermaket...but for some reason they never openned it. Unless something has changed, the building has been completed for two(2) years...but vacant...no supermarket. Go figga'??

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

Just after you pass the MODERN MART on the South Road, look for a place along the left-hand side of the road...just a bit beyond called PARAQUET RESTAURANT-- http://www.bermudayp.com/dining/view/47:32371 --and Tourist Apartmnts. This little restaurant (more really good 'diner' than 'restaurant) is a great spot for a modestly/moderately priced breakfast or lunch...and a good dinner when you don't feel like '..dining..'.

baltimore
Level Contributor
588 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

modern mart- at bottom of hill- just past Paraquet inn and restaurant- on left side of road

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

don't stop at harrington hundreds grocery! this is nearly the equivalent of cousin juan's, it's expensive in there! just a little further along the road in smith's is a1 gocery store. stick with a1, modern mart and marketplace. they are all the same company and have some of the best prices on the island.

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

>>>don't stop at harrington hundreds grocery! this is nearly the equivalent of cousin juan's, it's expensive in there!<<<

Not sure what the prices were like at cousin juan's...but while it's possible that the average prices may be a little bit higher than a MarketPlace...."..expensive.." is a bit of a gross overstatement.

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

Bear in mind that grocery prices in Bermuda will be more expensive than at your local Giant , Safeway or A&P in Howard County. You can check the '..WEEKLY SALE..' pages listings at the MarketPlace and Lindo's supermarkets web site for comparative purposes....and there are no hard shells to be found in Bermuda...unless ya' air freight 'em in on the daily Air Tran flight.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

Listen to sonnysullivan-he IS the local expert - I lived in Bermuda for 9 years -Harrington Hundreds (and also Miles Market-in Hamilton ) is an expensive supermarket-ideal for a few extras but not for your weekly shop. Expect to spend some 25% more than the usa for most food items -and almost double for fruit and veg .

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

***but while it's possible that the average prices may be a little bit higher than a MarketPlace***

This is a gross understatement.

I grew up in this area where hh is our "corner store" where you pay for the convenience and I also worked at a1 smith's packing groceries when I was a kid so I'm very familiar with the price difference between the two. One randomly packed bag of groceries at a1 or modern mart can be $50 or more. The same bag at hh will easily be $80. Maybe the prices at a1 devonshire are more in line with hh but I have never seen or heard of this store.

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Grocery Store

Though I'm NOT a '..local..'...I've shopped at the HARRINGTON HUNDREDS market over the years and while a bit more expensive than the MarketPlace and Lindo's markets, and in my experience, it is not that much more expensive...and offers perhaps a broader/better selection of specialty items than other less expensive options.

But as I recall, my original response included ALL of the supermarkets options along the most probable taxi route between the airport and Surf Side, the suggestion was to stop at the MODERN MART in Paget...as most convenient to the location.

And with apologies to the OP...the A-1 Market on the South Road at the traffic light at Collector's Hill cited is indeed in Smith's Parish, not Devonshire....approx. 200 ft. or so from the Smiths/Devonshire parishes boundry line . Even allowing for the egregious error of parish, I'm surprised that someone who grew up in the area didn't recognize the South Road/Collector's Hill junction (a well enough trafficked intersection to require one of Bermuda's few traffic lights outside of downtown Hamilton) location or the store. To the best of my recollection, the market has been there for the past few decades Perhaps this will refresh memory--

www.marketplace.bm/marketplace/locations.jsp