We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobsters

baltimore
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lobsters

Saw lobsters in the water at Hog neck park(low tide only). Wanted to try and grab them- and cook-em up- but was afraid of getting pinched.

Can any-one tell me if allowed to take out of the water ?

USA
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobsters

Bermuda Spiny Lobster '..season..' runs from September through March. I'm not sure how diligently the Bermuda Lobster Police patrol, nor am I sure whether the traditional penalty--tied to a stake out on the reef at low tide--for taking lobster out-of-season applies to tourists ??...or whether there's merely branding with an '..L..', fine and costs applied ??

conservation.bm/species-spotlight/2009/9/21/…

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobsters

respecting the laws and wildlife of any country you visit seems like the right thing to do and certainly is appropriate in this instance. while there are laws in the works that will result in harsher punishments for such violations, sure- one could plead ignorant and simply remove them and hope to not get caught. truthfully you're likely to get away with it.

but does that make it OK? as i said- if you're an honest person who respects the laws and wildlife of bermuda, then i would ask you to kindly not break such rules as they are in place for a reason. now that you KNOW, you cannot in good conscience break this law. :o)

thanks! signed,

a bermudian

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobsters

The police may not "pinch" you but maybe the lobsters will!!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobsters

lobster season in bermuda runs from september first through march 31. the only people who are legally allowed to harvest lobsters are those licensed by the government. there are two types of licenses, commercial fisherman and sport diver. sport divers are allowed two lobsters per day and the lobsters must be of a minimum size of carapace 3 3/5", think 2 1/2lbs. the '...traditional penalty...' applies to anyone breaking the law, whether they are tourists or locals.

USA
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobsters

>>>allowed two lobsters per day and the lobsters must be of a minimum size of carapace 3 3/5", think 2 1/2lbs.<<<

Are there any restrictions on taking male or female ??

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobsters

You cannot take a female if she has eggs attached.

baltimore
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobsters

Thanks for the feedback- will pay the extra money and buy lobster.

8. Re: Lobsters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:16