We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking mopeds to the beaches

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking mopeds to the beaches

This may be a stupid question, but can you rent a moped for the day and just tour the various beaches in Bermuda,? Is there parking for mopeds at the beaches that is secure if we want to take walk, explore, swim, etc...? I know that the beaches are the main draw in Bermuda and we want to visit as many as we can and just wondered if there is secure parking for mopeds at these beaches. Thanks!

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

there is parking for scooters (you likely wouldn't be renting 'mopeds' as they are few and far between) so no worry there.

the only people who would steal a rental scooter would be kids getting into mischief. they are so slow that there's no market for them in the criminal underworld so they're not desirable to thieves unless they simply need a lift home.

that being said, do NOT leave any valuables on your scooter when you park it- and still be sure to lock it anyway. finally, do not ever leave any unsecured items in the back of the basket even when traveling. you don't need to be paronoid and think there are wolves hidden around every corner. but a bag in the basket is easy pickings for punks passing by on another bike.

don't make yourself an easy target. other than that, you're fine. go and have a blast!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

Bermyman is right. Scooters have under seat storage and this is where you should keep all your stuff while riding, even purses and shoulder bags. Pretend that the scooter doesn't have a basket! When you park it to go explore, take everything with you because it is very easy to pop the seat open to get at the stuff inside.

michigan
Level Contributor
739 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

we were in Bermuda in June and always secured the things in the basket with a bungee cord (there was one with the scooter and we brought an extra)...we locked our helmets under the seat when we went to the beach and took everything else. One afternoon when we returned the seat lock had been broken but the would-be thieves did leave the helmets. When we returned the scooters the rental agency was NOT the least bit surprised at the break-in.

Do NOT leave anything in the scooters.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

we have to be clear on this guys. do not use the basket for anything! if you insist on using it then do not use the bungee cord to tie it in. if a purse snatcher rides up next to you the bungee will not deter him in the slightest and he will try to drag whatever it is out of the basket and if it's tied in with a bungee you will lose balance and fall off your scooter which is nearly guaranteed injury, possible serious injury if you fall into the oncoming traffic lane. i don't want to be a scare mongerer but these are the distinct possibilities and it can be easily avoided by simply leaving the basket empty and putting all your stuff under the seat. the only thing you should have out is a point and shoot camera for the person on the back.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

All of this is common sense but still, is very sad. I remember, years ago (about 30 years ago), we would take the mopeds/scooters around to the different beaches, lock some cash, room key, etc under the seat. Never were we concerned about our little valuables being taken. We would sleep with the sliders open, sleeping to the sounds of the beach, never worrying about someone breaking into our room.....going shopping, securing our purchases with a bungee cord to the basket of our scooter.....Life seemed alittle "carefree" back then....

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

i was on south shore in smiths a couple of weeks ago on my way to elbow beach. there was a young couple on their scooter with a designer purse in the basket, clear as day. i pulled up to the stop light and came alongside of them. i so easily could've just reached out myself and put the purse in my car and they wouldn't have even known.

when i called their attention to it they kind of laughed and gave me a clueless "thanks". they said they were "close to home" and they'd be fine. i explained that it's just a purse and it would easily fit underneath or could even be hidden between the 2 of them. they seemed completely in denial and treated me as if i was being silly. they were like far too many tourists i meet- sweet as pie and probably pretty savvy people back in their home country. but they come here and let their common sense go on vacation too. i know- bermuda is so beautiful and most people are so friendly, it's hard to imagine there is a criminal underworld here. but it's a fine balance between scaring them and informing them, that there's a lot that goes on which you will never see or be exposed to while you're here. however if you make yourself an easy target, you just might get a small taste of it.

well they were so 'close to home' that 10 minutes later on up the road, they finally pulled up to their hotel- elbow beach. dumb, dumb, dumb. *sigh*

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

most crimes against tourists are crimes of opportunity. if you don't give crooks the opportunity then you probably won't be a victim. belongings in a basket while riding are no different from belongings left unattended on a beach while swimming which is no different than belongings left under the scooter seat while it's parked.

baltimore
Level Contributor
588 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

Take the Bus !

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

Even on a bus....when going to the beach, do not bring anything of value! Things can be snatched while enjoying the water, taking a walk, etc. Be concious of your surroundings and if you are headed out for some great photo opts with your super camera....don't let it out of your site!....Go for the pics, then bring it back to your room/safe. If you are shopping in a gift shop or department store, most of these shops offer delivery to your hotel. Think about how you are going to keep your personal items safe. Maybe it is not wise to have the big designer handbag that won't fit under the seat of a scooter....I drive a scooter at home and I am always thinking of 'how am I going to manage what I want to get and travel with it on my scooter safely'

10. Re: Taking mopeds to the beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:16