We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on windy days/clearwater beach

Level Contributor
143 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling on windy days/clearwater beach

We are in Bermuda right now :)

We went to Church Bay today to snorkel and it was way too rough! :( So we went to Horseshoe Bay and walked along the different beaches there (although now looking at the map, I don't think we made it to Warwick Long Bay). We ended up mostly just swimming today. We'd really like to snorkel tomorrow, so we were wondering if Church Bay is too rough, what beaches aren't usually as rough on windy days (if there are any!)

We did go to Tobacco Bay on Tuesday and that was really nice. Actually a local recommended that when we couldn't find Clearwater Beach and Turtle Bay. The #6 bus doesn't go the whole way to the beach anymore (although the lady at the visitor's center said it did!). From what the local said, it used to. So, we were going to go back to them another day. I wanted to get some opinions on that - she said it was a 20 minute walk from the bus stop, so in your opinion, is it worth it to go there to snorkel? We are staying at Watford Ferry so it's a bit of a hike, but if it's lovely snorkeling then we will definitely go there. (But we'll take the ferry from Dockyard to St. George's!)

So, after all that, my 2 questions are...

-what are the best beaches on a windy day?

-are Clearwater Beach and Turtle Bay good snorkeling beaches (understanding that there are some days that are better than others).

Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on windy days/clearwater beach

In my experience, the snorkeling at Clearwater and Turtle Bay do not warrant the hassle to get out there from Watford Ferry, especially if you don't have scooters. Have you considered renting a boat or taking a snorkle cruise?

The snorkeling at the west end of Castle Harbor around the small islands at the sea break is usually very good and an easy ride in a Boston whaler out of Blue Hole Water Sports at Grotto Bay. The sea gardens just outside of Mangrove Bay and the reefs near Pompano are also good sites and can be reached via a rental from Robinsons at Somerset Bridge or Aquatic Bermuda in Hamilton.

I have never done a snorkle cruise, but there are several that receive high marks on this site.

If the wind continues to blow hard out of the west and you do not choose to rent a boat or snorkle cruise, try Clarence Cove at Admiraly Park--a 5 minute bus ride from Hamilton. With the wind out of the west, Clarence cove will be as calm as a lake and the snorkeling and swimming are very good out by the jetty at the head of the lagoon. For me, Clarence Cove is worth a visit on every trip to Bermuda, if only because it is such a different experience than the South Shore beaches Just remember that the bus service to Spanish Point and Admiralty Park--I think it is the # 4 (but check) is much less frequent than the main routes.

baltimore
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on windy days/clearwater beach

Try and find out when low tide is- West Whale/Hog Neck Park- very secluded/long walk from bus(almost a mile), NO beach if high tide- we got lucky and arrived at Low tide. (like having a small private beach)

3. Re: Snorkeling on windy days/clearwater beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 06:18