We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

Heading to the rock next week. Since we scoot all over,and it doesn't matter what part of the island its on, we'd like to know the favorite Italian restsurants of Bermudians, not just the "touristy" ones. thanks

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

I'm not sure that there are any really "touristy" restaurants on Bermuda. In my experience you are likely to encounter "locals" everywhere.

Boston
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

Well Rustico out in the Flatts is always packed with locals everytime I have gone..

USA
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

As noted above, Bermudians tend to dine-out at the same restaurants that dreaded '..tourists..' do. You're as likely to find local residents dining at PORTOFINO'S, LA TRATTORIA, RUSTICO'S, MARIA'S RISTORANTE (formerly: Fresco's), CAFE AMICI, LITTLE VENICE. as anywhere else in Bermuda when they've a taste for good Italian food. You could probably set these same restaurants down in any Italian neighborhood in the NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, et al. and they'd all do well.

When Bermudians spend their hard-earned cash to dine out, they go where the food it good. They don't stand in the door and count the number of '..tourist..' in the dining room..

Edited: 06 October 2011, 22:57
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

We ate at Portofino and it was nice. I hear the Tratoria is pretty good too. I have passed there a million times but for some reason, we just never decided to eat there.

Hope that you have a nice time in Bermuda. It is supposed to be lovely there in October.

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

Thanks for the good advice, Bostonspider. I've rode through the Flatts many times but have never eaten there. I can go to Rustico's Friday night and then shoot down the road to the equestrian center and watch the trotting ponies race. Sounds like a plan!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

La trattoria would have to be the most popular, that place has been packed for years! You should probably consider making reservations days in advance. If you go to any of the restaurants or bars on bermudiana road be sure to bring your big wallet.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

Tratt is on washington lane, a pedestrian way that goes from church street opposite the city hall, over to reid street.

USA
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

You'll find that the menu prices between La Trattoria and Portofino's will be about the same. Given the general economic climate in Bermuda and the state of tourism Bermuda's these past couple/few years, even popular Italian restaurants like Portofino's, La Trattoria, Rustico's, Maria's (Fresco's) etc are a lot easier to find empty tables at without reservations...even on Friday and Saturday nights. Both the Primavera and Fresco's restaurant groups have '..contracted..' and there are fewer new Work Permit applications for the Little Venice group. Maria's (old Fresco's) has begun offering a special 3-course '..early bird..' menu..' at $20.

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

La Trattoria is wonderful! We eat there at least 2x on our visits. The pizzas are very good as are the pasta specials. If you like a lively dining experience, try Portofino's on a Friday night, it's very convivial. I have never made it to Rustico's even though we are scooting through & stopping at the Flatts several times a day to check on the current & the fish under the dock.

Next visit, I promise I am heading there. I hear it's Mayor Bloomberg's fave restaurant in BDA.

USA
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Italiian resraurant is the most popular with the locals

>>>Rustico's...Next visit, I promise I am heading there. I hear it's Mayor Bloomberg's fave restaurant in BDA.<<<

He's a '..fave..' with the waitstaff at RUSTICO'S as well....His honor, billionaire, 'Mayor Mikey', is reprted to be a VERY GOOD tipper.