We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Hi - any suggestions on staying at the Reefs vs. newstead Belmont hotel?

I'm keen on The Reefs as it has the all inclusive option plus is right on the beach, but I'm worried it's a bit remote?

There will be about 6 of us staying there for 5 nights...

Thanks so much!

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Well with 6 people, will you be needing a 3 bedroom? Reefs has a few 3 bedroom condos in the new Club section, while Newstead only has one, in the original Shoreby Cottage. Now it is a pretty spectacular suite, in a building that has housed President Wilson, Mark Twain and Charlie Chaplin during their stays on island. Newstead is lovely, and is close to town with incredible, ever changing views, but if you have your heart seat on the beach, I would think the Reefs is likely a better option. The MAP at Reefs is nice, though not inexpensive, I personally like the options of eating in many of Bermuda's delightful restaurants.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Nothing remote about the Reefs. Has a bus stop right outside which will take you into Hamilton in about 20 minutes or up to the Dockyard. Plenty of taxis. Surrounded by all the best beaches on the island. Lovely private beach, no beach at the Newstead. Bermuda is a very small island, nothing very remote about any place that you choose.

I was typing at the same time as bostonspider. I agree with her about choosing to eat at different restaurants over the inclusive meal plans. Although it is easier to have all your meals on site.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 16:41
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Amazing! Thanks so much for your help!

USA
Level Contributor
28,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

As noted, there's nothing particularly remote about THE REEFS...especially if '..beach..' is high on your priorities list (a not-so-minor-detail that you omitted is the timing/season of your proposed visit??)..though there's no denying that NEWSTEAD-BELMONT HILLS is much more conveniently situated to downtown Hamilton for alternative dining, shopping, nightlife.

To the best of my knowledge, The Reefs offers a MAP rate plan (Modified American Plan nightly rate to include room, full breakfast, light afternoon Tea & dinner) This is NOT what is most conventionally considered '..all-inclusive..', which usually includes lunches, alcoholic beverages and other amenities).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Thanks. We're going in July. Are they both relatively consistent in terms of quality of amenities otherwise?

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

Well one big difference is that NBH includes a golf course at Belmont Hills, and the Reefs does not. I would think the Spas are pretty similar. As stated the Reefs has a beautiful beach, while NBH overlooks Hamilton Harbour. I am not sure what room category you were looking at as the new Reef's Club rooms are stunning and modern, but many of the rooms in the regular Reefs hotel, while nice are not new. All the rooms and suites at the NBH are brand new and very attractive, and all have lovely views.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

We were just thinking of a poolside room. But I understand they are renovating now. OK so sounds pretty much like we'll really enjoy both - just have different attributes

USA
Level Contributor
28,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

>>>We're going in July. Are they both relatively consistent in terms of quality of amenities otherwise?.....We were just thinking of a poolside room..."

As noted above, NEWSTEAD-BELMONT HILLS will have wonderful Hamilton Harbour views, across to downtown Hamilton. The REEFS will have spectacular ovean and south shore views.

NEWSTEAD-BELMOT HILLS will have the advantage of proximity to downtown Hamilton for alternative dining, shopping, nightlife and access to public transportation--buses & ferries. N-BH has access to the Belmont Hills golf course located a mile or so away from the property. N-BH provides free private ferry service across the harbour to downtown Hamilton, as well as being serviced by the PINK--Hamilton-Paget-Warwick public ferry route. N-BH provides shuttle service out to Elbow Beach at the Coco Reef Resort.

In terms of overall "..quality.." both properties will be equal. In terms of "..amenities..' The REEFS will have a decided 'edge' with three(3) different dining venues on-premises (any among the 'best in Bermuda'), perhaps the best private 'hotel beach' in Bermuda (but still only a vague 2nd best to many of Bermuda's magnificent public beaches). a first class spa and fitness center.

Given the choice of rooms at The Reefs, I wouldn't be inclined to book those at '..Poolside..'. These rooms are indeed 'poolside' and open directly onto the small pool area. This probably isn't a problem in the evenings but during the day it might seem as if you're sharing your patio or balcony with everyone at the pool. Given the arrangement of the buildings around the pool, the immediate area is a bit like an '..amphitheater..'. I'd be more inclined to go for a 'Cliffside' room a bit farther away..

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

We will be staying in a 1 bedroom suite at Belmont in late April. They are large & have a kitchen & double balcony. The rate includes transport to/from airport & a round of golf.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reefs vs. Newstead Belmont

OGREAT1...please post about your stay at the Newstead....I know people that stay there and they constantly give glowing reports to me. I love the idea of easy access to Hamilton, the views of the Harbor. I would love to stay there, however, my hubby will not give up going to the Reefs when we travel to Bermuda....he likes being on the beach, and the Reefs staff. Hubby is afraid to try something new