We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweeds-jellies-September

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seaweeds-jellies-September

Am considering a fisrt trip to Bermuda sometime between Aug. 20h to Sept. 30th. It would have to be a last minute trip due to the hurricane potential at tthat time. It appears that Sept only averages 2 inchs of rain vs August around 6. I know some of it is just a quick shower and one can not predict the weather but it appears there can be a decent amount of overcast rainy days in Aug. It looks like Sept may be the best time to go to Bermuda for us beach people. Also I am thinking the summer crowds will be less then and hotels may not be as booked?. Do not like much seaweed or Jellyfish and have been lucky in my trips to Caribbean. . I know they vary with conditions. are they an issue that time of year. They advantage of late August is could fly nonstop from Charlotte which does not appear to be available in sept. and that is a big plus. Thanks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

If I were you I would pick the most convenient flight and go. I can't imagine that there's any noticeable difference between August and September. Bermuda rarely has a problem with hurricanes. It's still high season in August and September so hotel prices will be much the same. Same number of people around. There may or there may not be jellyfish and seaweed around.

I see from your previous posts that you spend a lot of time worrying about all the details before you go on vacation. Relax, Bermuda is beautiful. Now choose a hotel that's within your budget or try a rental as we do. www.bermudarentals.com or www.bermudagetaway.com

It's a small island, wherever you stay will be fine.

USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

I'm not entirely sure what your source for historic weather/climate data was but it's not very accurate. Perhaps you should check the CLIMATE data at--

http://www.weather.bm/climate.asp

Insofar as tropical storm or hurricane activity,August/September are certainly peak period. These storms seldom directly effect Bermuda...but their presence in the region MAY effect general weather conditions--clouds, rain, wind..'..iffy..' weather. There's absolutely no tellin' when or how until you're actually there..then. In practical weather terms it won't matter whether you travel in late August or early September.

There are occasional problems in Bermuda with Portuguese-Man-O-War and Sargassum sea weed in Bermuda's waters....but these problems are very few and very far between. Wind, weather, ocean currents all need to conspire to create 'em. There's no jellyfish or seaweed '..season..'

Given that North American schools are back in session by late-August/early-September, there will be fewer tourist in Bermuda during September than August.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

I went on bermuda-online.org that appeared to have great amount of info on Bermuda weather averages and has August at 6.12 and sept at 2.05 rainfall.. which is 3 times as much in August. Will only consider staying on the beach south shore area and would spend up to $425 a night after taxs charges. What resorts would fit this or Is there any condo complexs that rent out ie vrbo for Sept.

USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

>>>I went on bermuda-online.org that appeared to have great amount of info on Bermuda weather averages and has August at 6.12 and sept at 2.05 rainfall.. which is 3 times as much in August.<<<

Then the percipitation numbers that you're relying on are simply WRONG.

Insofar as hotels and guest accommodations '..on..' the south shore beaches, I'm sure your research skills should be able to find something to suit your personal preferences, priorities and budget amongst these--

http://www.pinkbeach.com/

http://www.cocoreefbermuda.com/

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bermuda/

http://www.coralbeachclub.com/

http://www.surfsidebermuda.com/

http://www.thereefs.com/

http://www.pompanobeachclub.com/

If you're looking for oceanfront private rental cottages on the south shore beaches, check out--

http://www.gbcbermuda.com/

http://www.bermudagetaway.com/indexGB.html

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p400591

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p421549

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p194684

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

"Seaweed invasions", (my term) in Bermuda are usually preceded by violent storms (hurricanes or Tropical Depressions) passing through the Sagasso sea (due south of Bermuda) , breaking off the parts of the huge mats (many bigger than Bermuda itself) and moving larger chunks of them (or small pieces) northward with them to Bermuda. The Sea is a pretty interesting place and the currents move clockwise and the Gulf Stream on the western edge define the sea and create this unique habitat. If a storm passes through from the Southeast heading North By Northwest and it is rough enough to break up the mats- then get ready for a pretty yucky two or three months (during our visits over 28 years we have only seen the South Beaches invaded twice- but it may have happened more than that). Otherwise the BDA beaches are about as pristine as any.

With regards to Jelly fish- we have only seen two major invasions of Jelly FIsh and they to seem to coincide with violent storms.

There are two types the Portuguese Man-of-War, which look like blown-up purple-tinted balloons and have poisonous tentacles, and the Velella Velella (or By-the-wind sailor) which are flatter and smaller oval-shaped jellyfish that have a sort of flexible sail on top. Bermuda's waters are relatively "Sterile" compared to other parts of the Atlantic Ocean- (I don't mean that the waters are bereft of fish- they are not- but the light blue turquoise color we love is really a sign of a lack of substantial amounts of micro organisms, plankton, fungi, algae (including seaweed))- that creatures like to feed on. Long way of saying that it appears that storms can move jelly fish into the BDA environs but they don't normally occur in large numbers unless storms blow them in.

So storms PRECEDING your trip, with the appropriate trajectory, can contribute to both/

Regardless- a day at the beach on Bermuda with jelly fish AND seaweed is still better than most days anywhere else!

Your dates are good ones from my perspective

Edited: 25 March 2012, 16:57
Bermuda
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

beachman110, Bermuda is beautiful at any time of year but if I were you I would opt for September. Far fewer cruise ships call in Sep than Aug and school holidays will be over so there will be less visitors. It will still be lovely and warm but the humidity in Sep will be lower than Aug. Whenever you go hope you have a great time.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

KDKSAIL-I check your weather site and it gives apparantly very detailed accurate info by day for the last 11 years. I studied it good and it is different than the one I had that is based on I think averages from many years. Based on the last 11 years it appears that Bermuda gets about 7 inc in aug. and 5 in Sept. It does appear that just about every Aug and Sept whether hurricane or not there is a 2 to 3 day pretty good rainout with high winds and almost no sunshine. Then many nice days or days with just breif showers. I appreciate the hotel info and looked at some but most were way over the $425 after taxs amount although some included meals. Will look at more.

Molly-I appreciate your info about leaning toward Sept and if we decide on Bermuda will do that but based on info will do a last minute trip which I am thinking may be possible to do in Sept?

HPM1984 -that is very helpful detailed info on the seaweed and the type of info that I am looking for. Since I would do a last minute type of trip than would not come right after a storm.

I may sound picky but the research I did on my 3 island trips so far was incredibly helpful and respones appreciated. I posted reviews after these trips some just on the forum that hopefully helped others.

I have narrowed this trip to 2 places Bermuda and St. John. I know they are different and each have their advantages. St John is more difficult to get to and stay on the beach. If I go to one this year may try the other one the trip after. Flights are getting out of sight.

USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

>>>Aug and Sept whether hurricane or not there is a 2 to 3 day pretty good rainout with high winds and almost no sunshine<<<

I suspect that if you continued your research, you'd discover that these severe conditions correspond to the presence of tropical storm or hurricane activity in the general region...and there's absolutely no accountin' for that.. For the remainder of the time, it's just garden variety, tropical '..weather as usual..'....brief, often localized showers.

Currently Bermuda Tourism is offering a $100 per night (up to six nights) '..SIZZLING SUMMER..' promotion at a number of participation hotels. Perhaps you should check the details of this promotional offer out--

gotobermuda.com/travel-deals/…

Though this offer is only available for reservations made between March 23rd-thru- April 14th...for travel between April 1st and October 31st, 2012....so not applicable for "..last minute.." booking in SAugust or September....when you're back to '..hotel rate roulette..'

When considering 'last minute' bookings for Bermuda, you also need to recognize that there is relatively limited air service to Bermuda...and Bermudians using this service for their own personal travel necessities from and back to 'home' probably account for at least 35%-40% of the backsides in airline seats...and have learned from long and hard experience the 'ins 'n outs' of lowest fare booking strategies...often buying out the lowest airfare categories. Business travelers also account for a significant portion of air arrivals. Theoretically savvy '..last minute..' tourists often wind up with nothing but the higher airfare categories remaining at the '..bottom of the barrel..'.. So if you think that Bermuda is like many other vacation destinations...think again.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

thanks for the very helpful info KDKSAIL. I did not know about the promotion. I could possibly book Sept and buy trip insurance probably for appx $300 or so and cancel if the storms come. I did check out Surfside and they say on due to a phenomenom of certain winds and tides there could be no beach. We are beach people and I know unless we go to Bermuda will never know but still need to do more research on that. I know each cove is different. We like calm clear water and off the beach snorkeling. The beach depths look very narrow in the overall Bermuda pictures except saw one on Horseshoe Bay from July that looked EXTREMELY CROWDED. We have been spoiled by the beaches of Anguilla,, Provo, and Exumas.

USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaweeds-jellies-September

You've expressed a decided preference for the south shore. Most of the beaches along the south shore are protected by only broken reef offshore, so there will be mild-to-moderate surf at most...as opposed to flatter/calmer water usually associated with beaches protected by more continuous, unbroken offshore barrier reef. For the calmest water along the south shore, the only beachfront property that will provide this is POMPANO BEACH CLUB...and CAMBRIDGE BEACHES, farther around on Bermuda's western shore.

With a few exceptions like Elbow Beach (approx. 2/3 mi. long...mild/moderate surf), Warwick Long Bay (approix. 1/2 mi. long moderate surf) and Horseshoe Bay (approx 1/2 mi. long...mild-moderate surf), most of Bermuda's south shore beaches will be smaller, rock-crenellated coves and bays. Insofar as '..crowds..' are concerned, the only south shore beach that tends to become crowded is Horseshoe Bay...and this only when there are large cruise ships berthed in Bermuda, which tend to '..herd..' cruise passengers to it. Elbow Beach has a tendency to become somewhat crowded at times, in that it has three(3) hotels situated on it (Coco Reef Resort, Elbow Beach Hotel, Coral Beach & Tennis Club) and is the closest beach to downtown Hamilton. For the re4mainder of Bermuda's south shore beaches, 'crowds' are very seldom a problem. There are more than enough other wonderful little semi-secluded, rock-crenellated coves and beaches that you can enjoy for the better part of a day in relative '..privacy..'.

If you're considering SURF SIDE BERMUDA, it's true that the lovely little beach there can '..disappear..' (sand sucked out) due to a confluence of local storm surge, tide and sea state. But these factors seldom all come together at the same time to create the condition...so this lovely little beach is there most of the time...and even when it isn't, there are other wonderful south shore beaches within a couple/few minutes ride.

If your other destination preferences are for destinations like Saint John, Anguilla, Provo, Exumas during late-August / early-September...I'm not sure what your concerns are about Bermuda weather. These destinations are far more likely to be negatively impacted by severe weather during peak North Atlantic tropical storm and hurricane season than Bermuda. Just because a weather forecast says that, "..Huricane Whatsits is 1,200 miles southwest of Bermuda..." doesn't mean that it will impact Bermuda in any way. '..Bermuda..' is simply the ONLY Atlantic Ocean geographic reference until the Azores.