We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare mid-September

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare mid-September

Mr. cthoops and I are returning to Bermuda in mid-September. Although this will be our third trip to one of our favorite places, it's our first visit since 2005.

I've been checking airfare daily and right now the prices are holding firm at $400 from Boston, non-stop, despite the fact that no travelers seem to be biting at that price. It appears to be a game of chicken at the moment - who will cave first? The airline or the customer?

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts as to whether I should just bite the bullet at $400? I could go lower if we made a connection, but that option is off the table for us, and our dates are set as we already have our rental reserved through bermudarentals.com. It seems a bit high, particularly post-Labor Day (and compared to the same time last year), but I know that airfares are also higher in general. WWTA do? :)

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare mid-September

I share your pain (with kids in school now the old days of hitting BDA in early Jun and Oct/SEP are over for a while for us) because booking for our trip in early August I was flabbergasted by ticket prices out of Boston for Delta and Jet Blue (much more that the $ 400 you are paying: gulp) direct- so we are going to bite the bullet for a connection...(early flht to philly- hope it comes off okay and then on to BDA)

If you are unable to do that there is not much choice it seems other than cancelling your rental (is there a penalty)... or going through with the trip.

Boston fares are almost 50% higher than we paid last August for our trip- and after the eyepopping quotes we got from Delta and Jet Blue (makes one wonder that they are within $ 5 of each other) the $ 400 fare actually seems reasonable (it is not of course, but the contrast between our Aug fare and your SEP fares make it seem so).

Perhaps this helps- picture yourself on a South Shore Beach- gentle Sep wind blowing a warm breeze on you while the light blue water laps at your toes...

Keep me posted on on your decision-- no better place than BDA despite the high costs...

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare mid-September

If that $400 fare is all-in--including taxes, fees, charges, etc...then that' sounds about right. You could wait around and play ''airfare roulette' hoping for some sort od '..sale..'...but I doubt that you'd find one...and probably lose the $400 fare in the process. Back in the 'bad-ole'-days', when $500-$600 was a 'good deal'; $400 was the '..jackpot..'.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare mid-September

$400 sounds good to me.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare mid-September

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to pull the trigger on the fare. Interestingly, when I reached the seat selection page it showed that about 40% of the seats were already taken (not including the typical "not available" emergency exits and bulkhead). Before I went to purchase I had looked at "view seats" and virtually none were taken. Go figure.

Anyway, based on the number of seats sold I don't think that fare is going down, so I'm satisfied. Now if only the next six months could fly by!

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
1,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare mid-September

I am not sure but Delta charges you $25each way to stow your luggage and Jet Blue does not, YET. I could be wrong about that. I would take jetblue instead if that were the case.

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare mid-September

I booked our flight to Bermuda on JetBlue.

One of their perks after booking is that if the rate was to change downward at any point prior to your flight, if you call and they double-check it is so, they will bank those cheaper dollars in your JetBlue account to be used as cash on another JetBlue flight within one year.

Net, net....book now, choose your seats, and check their website often to see if the $$$ of your flight has decreased.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare mid-September

I prefer JetBlue over Delta but JetBlue was $86 more for the dates of our trip, and has been for at least a month - big difference. I'm a bit risk-averse so I didn't want to take the chance that JetBlue would drop over $86, so Delta it is. As for the baggage fees, those aren't an issue for us since we use carry-on only.

I long for the days when we didn't have to think about this fee vs. that fee when researching ticket prices. :)

Edited: 29 March 2012, 16:04
USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare mid-September

>>>I long for the days when we didn't have to think about this fee vs. that fee when researching ticket prices<<<

I recall reading an interview years ago with Bob Crandall, the retired chairman of American Airlines around the time of US airline deregulation. One of his predictions was that the '..public..' would one day come to hate the idea of deregulated airlines...because sooner or later '..public interest..' would be trumped by '..corporate intersts..' and the industry would become a "..jungle.." for air passengers.

A few years ago, Christopher Ryan, the founder of Ryan Air (which almost single-handedly invented annoying '..additional fees & charges..' for airlines) was asked what new fees & charges airlines could add. The interviewer had already listed charges for reservations, seat selection, snacks & beverages, luggage, et al. Of the top of his head he responded, '..pay lavatories aboard aircraft..'. No one thought he was joking...not one little bit.

9. Re: Airfare mid-September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:24