We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

Baldwinsville, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

My passion is sea glass. Frankly, I choose our island trips around it. Having said that, it is our 30th Anniversary next June, 2013. We ar planning 10 days. My husband really wants a nice sandy beach right at the resort with snorkeling. We both dive so we would like to make 2 or 3 dives. And we need a breakfast & dinner meal plan. Based on that, I have spoken to the Reefs and Pompano Beach Club but my question is....how feasible is it to make a DAILY bus trip (too old for scooters) to either St. George's or the Naval dockyard based on low tide? Will I be better off staying at another part of the island? Grotto Bay...well... seems "tired" ...no offense....but seems like the nicest beach property close to St. George's? Please help!

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

The reviews on GB are mixed but I do have to concur with your comments although some on the forum like GB.

South Shore is a good choice- you can get to Long Bay or Horseshoe Bay where there is a nature reserve (linking the two) with plenty of coves in which to snorkel... so Reefs or Pompano are the best choice as you indicate.

Getting to the Dockyard or St Georges EVERY day is possible- Dockyard is more feasible because you will have to transfer in Hamilton to get to St. Georges.

This simple map will illustrate (Route 7 Green direct from South Shore to DockYard)

ttp://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Another option for you would be Cambridge Beaches in Somerset- very close to the Dockyard (10 minute bus ride)- although snorkeling and beaches are better in the South Shore).

USA
Level Contributor
28,502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

You're trying to coordinate the daily Tide Table, Bus and Ferry schedules...and travel the entire distance of Bermmuda from west to east. SOME days it might be possible and others most likely not.

Perhaps the best sea glass beach in Bermuda will be along the western shore in Sandys, out near the Convict's Cenetary, down behind the Albert Row apartments. There is convenient access to this area via either #7 or #8 bus routes, then a short walk (100 yards or so) down to the shore. This beach shouldn't be difficult from either PBC or The Reefs.

The other well known sea glass beach is located out in Saint George's, along the far eastern shore, next to the old Alexandria Battery fortification, along Barry Road (nr: Floral Lane) The walk from either the main bus terminal (#1. #3, #10 or #11 bus routes) in downtown Saint George's or the public ferry dock (Orange route) will be approx. 1/2 mile.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 01:27
USA
Level Contributor
28,502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

I suspect that POMPANO BEACH CLUB may suit your varoius criteria best. PBC is a bit farther west than The Reefs...but the real advantage to this is that you may access both the #7 & #8 bus routes at PBC...whereas at The Reefs you've only access to the #7 route. In any event, you'd need a Tide Table for for Low Water for the dates of your proposed visit ( http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ ) a Bus schedule and a Ferry schedule to work out the not-so-minor coordination details. In entirely practical terms, I doubt that you could make it 'work' more than a couple of times in a week. You may well find that the west-end sea glass beach, near the Convict's Cemetary/Albert Row apartments is sufficiently provided.

This could matter in trying to coordinate the Tide Table, a stop at the sea glass beach in Somerset and the ORANGE-Hamilton-Dockyard-Saint George's ferry route schedule to the east end.

Perhaps the only 'advantage' GROTTO BAY BEACH RESORT offers as an alternative is that they've got the TRIANGLE DIVING operation on-premises, down at their beach. So if you're going to dive, all you need do is roll out of bed, into your swimsuits and carry your gear down to the boat.

I'm not sure if they still do it but, the BLUE WATER DIVERS operation used to offer 'pick-ups' with their dive boat at PBC...but you'd have to check with Blue Water Divers directly to find out if they still do this ?? In any event, PBC will be a shorter/less costly taxi fare (10 mins or less) to the BWD location , near Somerset Bridge.

In terms of dining, The Reefs probably has an advantage but the dining options at PBC are still pretty good. PBC also participates in the '..Dine Around..' program (on a space available basis) with both The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches for some variety.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

The St. George location definitely depends on having a low tide. The cave portion is not accessible when the tide is up.

Royal Dockyard (behind the Albert Row apartments) can be accessed both at low and high tide as the whole beach is covered.

There was a little SG at some of the other beaches but not worth just going for SG.

Have fun!!! Look forward to hearing about your diving experiences!!!

USA
Level Contributor
28,502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

>>>South Shore is a good choice- you can get to **Long Bay** or Horseshoe Bay <<<

So as not to be confused with "..Long Bay..", which is located out along Bermuda's western shore, in Sandys/Somerset (btwn: Daniel's Head promintory and Cambridge Beaches resort) -----the place/beach noted along the south shore is properly named *** WARWICK LONG BAY ***.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 15:46
Baldwinsville, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

Thank you all for your input...I believe we will be choosing Pompano Beach Club and hope for the best....they appear to have a Scuba package through Blue Water Divers....the beach location and food package sealed the deal though. If I could just bother to ask how you get from there to Alexandra Battery then...bus? ferry? Bus AND ferry? I can't seem to picture the logistics at all....even if I could get out there every other day.....sigh.

USA
Level Contributor
28,502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

Depending on how the public transport schedules run... your own schedule and the daily Tide Table...either... Bus-Ferry....or...Bus-Bus. Either route should take approx. the same amount of travel time.

BUS--FERRY--take either a #7 or #8 bus (heading toward Dockyard...BLUE POLE) from the regular bus stop near the end of the PBC entrance drive, to the end-of-the-line at DOCKYARD (approx. 20-25 mins)...Then ORANGE--Hamilton-Dockyard-Saint George's ferry route from the ferry dock next to the bus stop at Dockyard to the ferry dock in downtown Saint George's (approx. 45 mins)...then walk out Water Street/Cut Road to Floral Lane, then up Floral Lane to the Alexandra Battery...and the seaglass beach below and to the left of the Battery (approx 3/4 mile).

BUS--BUS--take either a #7 or #8 bus (#7 will be the most scenic...heading toward Hamilton....PINK POLE) from the regular bus stop near the end of the PBC entrance drive to the end-of-the-line at the main bus terminal in downtown Hamilton (approx. 40-45 mins)...transfer over to a #1, #3, #10 or #11--Hamilton-Saint George's (**NOT**Hamilton-Grotto Bay sub-routes...#1 route will be the most scenic) to the end-of-the-line at the main bus terminal in downtown Saint George's (approx. 60-65 mins)...then walkk Street to Mullet Bay Road/Cut Road to Floral Lane to Alexandra Battery (approx. 3/4 mile).

BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map--(Orientation, lay-out, relative locations)--

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn…

BERMUDA BUS INFO--(Routes, schedules, fares, etc)--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

BERMUDA FERRY INFO--(Routes, schedules, etc)--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

The 2012 SUMMER FERRY SCHEDULE is now posted. Take some time to look at the Bermuda map...and the bus and ferry routes and schedules. It ain't complicated...nor does it take an advanced degree in Celestial Mechanics to figure it out and make your way around Bermuda....with copies of the BERMUDA-Handy Reference Map, Bus & Ferry Schedule brochures tucked in your pocket.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

When we were staying in Dockyard, we decided to go early so we did the buses (part of our group took the ferry but got there a couple hours later) around the island as KDKSAIL indicated above. It was a wonderful way to meet some of the locals including kids going to school.

On the return route, we took the ferry out of St. George's back to DY.

Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
28,502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

>>>It was a wonderful way to meet some of the locals including kids going to school<<<

Just about every minute, of every mile, of every public bus or ferry route is just a '..great ride..'...and buses and ferries make great '..raised platforms..' to see Bermuda and her incredible natural beauty as you go...from both landward and seaward perspectives. If you're '..commuting..' to '..real world..' job in Bermuda, then speed and efficiency matter. If you're '..on vacation..' then you'd be a damned fool not to sit back and '..enjoy the ride..' ...however long it takes. To the best of my knowledge NONE of Bermuda's many sights and attractions require that you '..clock in..' on time....and if you do happen to be '..late..' today....that just means that you've gotta' 'enjoy the ride' all over again tommorrow.

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay-priorities nice beach & daily sea glass pickin

...alrighty...I've got an armament of Bus/Ferry/Tide info to aide in, not only my search of SeaGlass, but all things Bermuda. ONWARD! Well....not until 2013.... Until then, I will keep reading and dreaming. Many thanks again.