We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

I am planning an anniversary trip with my husband for early June and we will be first time visitors to Bermuda. We are looking to get away from it all rather than be in the middle of a bustling area. We would like a relaxing vacation with access to spa services-maybe a smallish property? We'll probably sleep late, enjoy some good food and just rejuvenate. Would like some beach time-maybe snorkeling- but we won't spend all of our time there. A tranquil setting would be ideal and we will probably indulge in spa services. Mostly, we're looking for easy and relaxing.

I can spend some $$ but also like to get a good value for my dollar. Cambridge looks interesting at first glance but I am wondering if there are some other places that fly under the radar a bit?

Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

To summarize you are looking for

1. Small Property (I assume with Bermuda flavor)

2. Tranquil and relaxing

3. Spa services

4. Beach and snorkeling (will not laze at the beach all day every day though)

5. Value

Looking at your list I would say that Cambridge Beaches is your best bet for 1-4- it is very expensive (we stayed there on our honeymoon and have had lunch there numerous times since). It does have a spa- but having never used it I cannot comment on it (reviews on TA can help you). It has two beaches one on the Ocean facing West (just about the only beach that does so) and a smaller one with spectacular views across Mangrove Bay). It is Very tranquil, a brief 10 minute walk to Somerset (aside from rush hour it is also sleepy).

There is also Tuckers Point Hotel (we rent a golf villa fractional from friends these days) on TP. It is larger (not huge) but some people (including me) find the architecture cold and non Bermudian). We have eaten there (using privileges there from Golf Villa. The menu is in the main dining room is expensive, and there is a casual outside dining room with limited menu. The spa is very good. We read that the hotel service is spotty and can be unfriendly and disappointing. From above it fits 2, 3 and 4 (the beach is among the best of the south shore) but not 1 and 5 (horrifically expensive). THere is a boat rental on property for use with Castle Harbor where you can also rent snorkeling equipment. Views of Castle Harbor are breathtaking

South Hampton Princess has a Spa. The Beach is small but you can get to Horseshoe Bay Beach and Long Bay Beach easily there is a nature trail and the walk is amongst the best in Bermuda for beauty. Snorkeling can be done in the coves and this is one of the best places on the shoreline to snorkel. However the hotel is large and service/rooms can be spotty and I would not say it is tranquil (far from it). So it fits 2 above only- and is in the same expense range as Cambridge Beaches.

Belmont Hills Resort is on Harbor Road (or just off it) with super views of the Great Sound and Harbor (really stunning). Spa has a good reputation and I would rate it somewhere between the South Hampton Princess and Cambridge Beaches on tranquility scale. (Sitting pool side and looking over the Sound/Harbor is my idea of a great afternoon). However you will need to get transportation to the South Shore beaches. So although it is not exactly tranquil it is charming and beautiful. On a size scale it is probably midpoint between Cambridge and the South Hampton Princess. So I would say it 1 , 2 and 3 above but no beaches (you would have to travel there) and although less expensive than CB it is NOT cheap!

Surf side Beach Club has a very small spa (rented out by the club). It is a beautiful setting, but not in the same class of hotels/resorts I just listed with rooms sporting kitchenettes. However it has a very loyal following and has small but beautiful beach(es). It is perched on south shore cliff. Restaurant on site- but can also be considered as either isolated or tranquil. Less expensive than the others I have mentioned. Small pool- the rooms are okay (never stayed there but have looked in ) Nothing special but the coves and beach are superb. Fits 1,2, 4 and 5 , I know nothing about the spa other than it is there and advertised. Keep in mind it is less expensive- relative to the other properties, but still NOT cheap! Read the reviews on TA to see what I mean about the property (some love it some think it over priced)/

Elbow BEach located on famous Elbow Beach is but a shadow of its former self but still has its spa. THe main building is shuttered with the cottages open facing the beach. Not doubt that this is the most beautiful of the South Shore beaches with its pink beaches and gentle surf. The spa is still there. The restaurants get mixed reviews- we ate there a couple of years ago. It gets mixed reviews (some people find the empty main building sort of spooky) and the rooms also get mixed reviews (reviews range from very happy five stars to dank an moldy one star ratings). Not sure about tranquility with the main building shuttered and the beach will be busy on weekends (busy and beautiful!). It is expensive so I say it sort of fits 1 above (with the main building shuttered) and also 3 and 4, but expensive on the level of Cambridge Beaches and SouthHampton Princess.

Good luck!

Edited: 07 April 2012, 18:30
USA
Level Contributor
28,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

ANY of these three properties should suit your criteria to a '..t..'..The 'filters' of your own/group's personal presferences, priorities, expectations will determine which of the three '..crosses..' that '..t..' best.

CAMBRIDGE BEACHES--

http://www.cambridgebeaches.com/

The REEFS HOTEL & CLUB--

http://thereefs.com/

POMPANO BEACH CLUB--

http://www.pompanobeachclub.com/

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

Many thanks for such a detailed and informative post. You have summarized my wants better than I could! It looks like Cambridge is a very good fit for us and we are looking forward to experiencing Bermuda. Don't know how I'd get by without my "friends" on TA.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

I frequently visit the spa at Cambridge Beaches when I am in Bermuda. It is very small and well operated. The services are much more reasonably priced than the Willowstream spa at Fairmont and are an excellent value. The staff is professional and polished, services are quite good. Willowstream is very busy and expensive. I did not use the Pompano spa when I stayed there. I toured it and thought it too limited in both space and offerings. I have been to the Reefs spa but my visit occurred during construction and was not a good experience. The spa at Newstead is fine and the woman who does the Thai massage is excellent. I toured the spa at Elbow Beach and found the prices completely out of line with the facility. Of the ones listed my preference is for Cambridge Beaches. I return there on virtually every trip to Bermuda irrespective of where I am staying.

5. Re: Where to stay for couples retreat/get-away w/ spa services?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 10:23