We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special dinner

Maine, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Special dinner

My fiance and I are having a destination wedding in May in Bermuda! It is just the two of us and our ceremony is at 6pm (on the beach) and we would like to go to dinner afterwards. We are staying at the Newstead Belmont Hills and were thinking about Blu as it would be convenient. I know Fourways and Waterlot would be the fanciest options, but we are looking for something nice, but with a fun atmosphere. Also, I would like to stay in my dress (why not, right?!)

Thanks very much for any suggestions :)

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special dinner

What Beach are you getting married on? That might help

One option for you is to eat on the South Shore at Coconuts Restaurant on the BEach at The Reefs. Beautiful setting :\

http://thereefs.com/dining/coconuts.shtml

or Ocean Echo at the Reefs ( a bit more formal but still beautiful views)

http://thereefs.com/dining/oceanecho.s

Waterlot or Newstead are certainly good options and I recommend Four Ways especially (but it may not offer the views etc that you want).

There is also Elbow Beach & the Lido (but I would recommend the Reefs)

www.mandarinoriental.com/bermuda/dining/

Another option is Pompano- a small hotel/colony with superb views out over coves, beach and cliffs for night/evening dining- it is on the South Shore

www.pompanobeachclub.com/oceangrill.html

Finally there is Cambridge Beaches- on the western tip of the Island in Sandys- depending on where you are getting married it may be to far of a ride for you (about 15 minutes from South Hampton Princess). It has super food and traditional Bermudian atmosphere- but it might be to formal for what you are looking for, although weather permitting you could dine on the beach at Shutters (also beach dining is available at the Reefs). THe view to Mangrove Bay is simply mind blowing when the sun is setting

www.pompanobeachclub.com/oceangrill.html

USA
Level Contributor
27,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special dinner

Is "..convenient..' really a valid criteria for the '..occasion..' ?? If not....you can do better than BLÛ.......and stil wear the dress.

OCEAN ECHO (either the indoor dining room or on the dining terrace outdoors) at The Reefs Hottel, has spectacular south shore and ocean views (sunset at approx 8:00 PM during May) from the clifftops above the beach....

or perhaps COCONUTS--a covered, oudoor dining deck built into the living rock, a few feet above the sand and a few feet back from the surf, palm tree growing up through deck & roof....

or perhaps one of the special, table set-ups that they offer down on the beach would serve....pink sand between your toes, torch-lit, the sound of surf hissing through sand....

OCEAN ECHO & COCONUTS at The Reefs--

http://thereefs.com/dining/index.shtml

Or perhaps BREEZES dining terrace at Cambridge Beaches, with wonderful western shore, ocean views and the potential for spectacular sunsets. They also do table set-ups on their beach there.

BREEZES at Cambridge Beraches--

http://www.cambridgebeaches.com/breezes.cfm

USA
Level Contributor
27,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special dinner

P.S....wherever you decide to dine after the ceremony and photos...make sure that you let them know of the '..occasion..' when you make your reservations. Bermuda loves to '..promote..' romance and weddings....and a happy bride (especially one in '..THE dress..') and groom (a necessary 'accessory') is great for the image.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special dinner

If you are going for convenient at the NBH, I think that Beau Rivage is much nicer than BLU and has equally as nice views, both inside and out. Fourways is very traditional, but felt a little "dusty" to me. The spots at the Reefs will likely be conveniently located to wherever your ceremony is on the South Shore. Cambridge Beaches is way out in the west end. There are some lovely places in Hamilton, but will not have the special views that you are likely looking for. Have fun and best of luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special dinner

Fourways & Waterlot are nice, but you are correct - they aren't too much fun!

Blu is nice and the food is great and the sunsets are amazing, but there is no real romance to the place. Its just a square dining room.

I agree with Beau Rivage - you can have cocktails outside on the patio and watch the sun set. Very nice.

Also Coconuts is really gorgeous too. But I would just want to make sure you are there later in May. It might be too cold in early May to be outside when the sun goes down.

The best alternative is to go to the Elbow Beach compound. You can do Seabreeze - Its outdoor setting up on a patio overlooking the beach - but they have a glassed in area too if the wind is blowing too much. They serve tapas style food and have really good sangria. If it is a weekend there should be a small band (keyboardist and singer at minimum, maybe a sax or guitar player too) and you could dance under the stars!!! If you wanted a formal dinner, you could go inside to Lido for a formal meal. Also, if you are there later in May, Mickey's on the beach should be open. Considering you have 3 dining options and an open outdoor bar all in one compact area - I think you should go there :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special dinner

http://www.lido.bm/default.aspx

here's a link. The pictures don't do it justice!

Maine, New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special dinner

Thank you everyone for your excellent recommendations! I am going to take a better look at the options on the south shore as I think you are all correct - a view of the ocean would be great. My only concern are a few of these options aren't rated in the top 10 or even 20 on TA. Would you allow this to be a concern for you? Also, when making the reservation, I will also be sure to mention the special day. Thanks again!

USA
Level Contributor
27,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special dinner

>>>...My only concern are a few of these options aren't rated in the top 10 or even 20 on TA. Would you allow this to be a concern for you?...<<<

I've never been certain that TA's numeric '..rating system..' has much merit (TA once compared their rating 'process' to McDonald's "...special sauce...")...and is often NONSENSE. As an example, the #1 TA '..rated..' thing to do/place to see in PARIS is something call "..A World in a Pan..'--a cooking class. It may indeed be a good cooking class but...the #1 thing to see/ do in PARIS ???? Even hermits who've lived their entire lives in a cave in the jungles of New Guinea know that this is UTTER RUBBISH !!

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special dinner

LOL hermits in caves in jungles defo know that the Eiffel Tower is the #1 thing to do in Paris :-)

Check out the Best of Bermuda awards - Seabreeze got best al fresco dining:

thebermudian.com/bestofbermudaawards/75/533

Then I cross referenced Trip Advisor and a lot of these places that won best in bermuda are way down the list on TA.

USA
Level Contributor
27,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special dinner

There are absolutely no objective '..criteria..' or quantifiable '.standards..' . To the ranking system or the '..weight..' given to '..reviews..' I once read a hotel review that damned the place to hell 'n gone because the reviewer had gone into the lobby and asked a question of a front desk clerk and thought that the clerk treated them rudely (by the time finished reading their 'review', even I thought the desk clerk had grounds to slap them in the face with the business end of a long-handled a shovel...and showed remarkable restraint in not doing so). THAT'S IT !! The '..reviewer..' had NEVER been in the hotel before and penetrated the property farther than the lobby...had never stayed at the hotel (and according to the review, never would), never saw any of the other public spaces or so much as peeked into a guest room....and that '..review..' was accepted and posted by TA and...tossed into the '..special sauce..' mix to arrive at a TA numeric ranking.

The best---and perhaps only--way to employ the TA system is to take 25% of the most damning and 25% of the most glowing reviews and toss them out....then take the consensus of the remaing 50% as as close to any '..truth..' as you're likely to find. You need to actually READ the reviews to get any sense of whether a numeric 'ranking' has any merit.

It's also worth noting that the TA sites have reached '..critical mass..' in the travel information industry....and more than a few tourism & hospitality operators know this and actively attempt to manipulate their ranking by actively 'hawking' their clients to post nice things about 'em on TA. The worst of 'em try to do it themselves by not-so-cleverly posting anony-morinc 'raves' and 'recommendations' about themselves under cyber-schizophrenic screennames.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 19:19