We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infant Car Seat Needed?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Infant Car Seat Needed?

My wife and I are taking our 18 month old to Bermuda next week. I was wondering whether we will need to take an infant car seat for the taxi to/from the airport? I've been told by a local "not to bother" but the government website seems to say that infant car seats are required.

Any advice?

USA
Level Contributor
28,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

NO...no infant car seat is required in taxis.

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

I am going next week to Bermuda with my 26 month old. Did you find it was ok to go without the car seat?

USA
Level Contributor
28,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

We've never taken a child to Bermuda....but over the years we have observed a great many who have...most simply pack lightweight, folding '..umbrella..' strollers for their children. Kids sit on parents' laps, secured by adult arms, on public buses, ferries and taxis.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

We did not take an infant car seat and didn't need one. We were on the island for a week. We took taxis and buses everywhere. The taxis are all minivans and none mentioned the need for an infant seat. The speed limit on the island is 35 KPH (about 20 MPH) so we never felt that our infant was unsafe.

I'll warn you that there is very little room on the transit buses for a stroller. There is a small storage area near the front for backpacks, strollers etc. and your stroller will have to fold up into that small space. If it doesn't, the drivers can get... umm... a bit surly. So, only a small stroller will do, which we found restrictive.

BTW, we've visited the island a few times and have always found Bermudians to be very friendly and welcoming. Bus drivers tend to be the exception that proves the rule.

connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

We're taking our 8 month old. We only plan on using a taxi to and from the airport. Does anyone think we should bring a carseat since she's still pretty small or do you think we could just hold her?

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

Hi. We just got back from a two week trip and found no one on the island uses car seats at all. Since there are no rental cars on the island, you will have to use public transportation or taxis. This means hopping in and out. You would have to bring the car seat with you on your day trips. Also, the speed of the island is so slow.....usually averaging 20 mph so we never felt unsafe. Just check it with your luggage on the plane and stick it in your hotel room so you have it on your drive home. Have fun!

P.S. Try the lagoon at horseshoe bay or tobacco bay for the most child friendly beaches that we found. No waves!

7. Re: Infant Car Seat Needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 17:20