We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Does anyone know what is available without prescription on Bermuda? Thank you

USA
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

I'm pretty sure that codeine is a classified narcotic in Bermuda, as it is in the US. If you've a requirement for a particular type of cough medicine containing codeine, you should simply bring along your US prescription from the physician who prescribed it and you may have it filled by any pharmacy in Bermuda. If you have no US prescription for such a cough medicine, then you should use whatever non-codeine OTC medicine you're used to using in the US.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 10:12
Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Actually Codeine is not a classified narcotic in Bermuda as they sell Aspirin with Codeine (or 222 as the brand name is) over the counter. So I would not be surprised if they sell a cough syrup with it as well.

Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

many foreign pharmacies have much more relaxed laws pertaining to low-risk medications. Someone else just sent a post stating they sell bottles of tylenol w/codeine. Also wondering about low dose benzos?

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

I think that whatever is legal in the UK is what is legal in Bermuda when it comes to pharmacies.

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Correct- Bermuda follows the UK model- if you visit the pharmacist they can "prescribe" antibiotics etc. Pharmacists in the UK, Bermuda, Europe are allowed much more leeway than in the US or Canada- they function very much like the "doc in the box" you might visit for a minor emergency in the US. There "status" is much higher- one of the many reasons (okay this is political commentary) that health care costs relative to outcomes are so much better in the UK, France, Germany than in the US- pharmacists can take care of many of the mundane tasks.

baltimore
Level Contributor
677 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Bermuda no different then U.S- go to grocery stores or Pharmacy- JUST no Walmarts...

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Bermuda and other islands--Anguilla will refill your prescription without a script. I know this first hand as my asthma spray fell out of my moped, and the pharmacy replaced it. Last week my husband did not have enough Toprol and it was filled in Anguilla. Its really is a shame we have too tight controls in this country for eveyday life needing meds. Case in point an Anguillian was here in the US and he forgot his hydrodiuril, and could not fill it anywhere unless he saw a doctor. This nurse me---thinks this stinks.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

You drink sizzurp?

To answer your question I think you need a prescription for it now in Bermuda.

USA
Level Contributor
28,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Just as a point of information, Bermuda's airport and cruise port officials actively '..sniff..' for illegal narcotics in the baggage, ship cabins and on the persons of inbound passengers. Just about every week during the season some not-so-clever tourist(s) winds up brefore a local magistrate on illegal drugs charges. The press reports aren't as frequent as Cricket scores...but much more entertaining.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying certain cough medicines containing codeine; possible?

Yes. You can get cough medicine with codine at the pharmacies over the counter. You must ask for it. The bottles that is given is only 4oz. I bring back 2 bottles a trip and have brought back 4 when my children were small. It is always handy to have a little in the medicine cabinet.