We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned From The Reefs

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned From The Reefs

We just spent four days at The Reefs. When we arrived on Sunday, the weather was warm and the property was beautiful. We were greeted at the front desk with rum swizzles, a nice touch. Unfortunately, our room was not ready at 3pm and we had to wait until around 4:30pm, but we enjoyed a drink outside overlooking the water. When we got to our room, a cliffside room, it was very nice with a beautifully updated bathroom and a view that was to die for. The patio was very private, a nice size and the furniture was nice. The only restaurant that was open for breakfast and dinner was Ocean Echo. The other restaurants were supposed to open for the season on April 18th. Coconuts was open for lunch and snack from 12-4pm. We had dinner at Ocean Echo, which was very good. The menu changes daily and there are several choices offered. Everything was great, the employees were very friendly and the service was great. The next day, we took a nice 15 minute walk to Horseshoe Bay (and got to see whales jumping along the way - a real treat). Horseshoe Bay is beautiful and we walked along all of the beaches (which were fairly empty) and then back to The Reefs and had lunch at Coconuts, overlooking the beach. The beach and pool were fairly empty, which made it feel like a very private resort. Several rooms were still being renovated, so the resort seemed fairly empty, which was nice. Afternoon tea was always nice, with teas, sandwiches, cookies and desserts. Again, dinner at Ocean Echo did not disappoint. The following day, we took the public bus (very clean and efficient) to the Royal Naval Dockyard and walked around and did some shopping. We returned to The Reefs for lunch at Coconuts, some time on the beach and at the pool and some time relaxing and enjoying our great view from our patio. We decided to try the dine around plan, since Ocean Echo was the only restaurant open at The Reefs. We had wanted to try Cambridge Beaches, but were unable to get that, so we tried Pompano Beach Club. The staff at Pompano Beach were so nice and went out of their way to accommodate us, however, the food was not nearly as good as the food at The Reefs. I would recommend skipping the dine around and eat at The Reefs, where the food is fabulous.

Overall, The Reefs is a beautiful, private resort that is perfect if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet getaway. The views at this property are amazing, the rooms are nice, the staff is friendly (especially Carrie at the front desk) and the food is fabulous. While there were some children (probably most staying in the Reefs Club Residence condos - which look beautiful), the resort seemed to cater more to couples. Children are not allowed at the pool between 5pm and 7pm, in order to allow adults quiet time to enjoy the pool area. We have been to Bermuda before (with our children) and this time we left the children home and decided to try The Reefs. We travel extensively, and this will be one of the more memorable resorts that we have stayed at. It really was a wonderful trip and we hope to return to The Reefs again.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

Thank you for your review, cjcmk. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

excellent- I have never stayed at the Reefs (but have had lunch & dinner) - reading your review makes me want to try it one day. Glad you had a great time- the management team has a great reputation and your review sort of cements this for me!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

Thanks for writing this. Glad you enjoyed one of my favorite spots. If you have not done so, Please put a review under the hotel.

Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

You're so sweet for mentioning me we enjoyed having you come back soon!!!! :)

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

Glad you had a good time - when we first visited the Reefs in the late 90's we tried the 'dine-around' and our reaction was exactly the same as yours - food at the Reefs is far superior than where we dined, name escapes me - so if anyone if planning to visit the Reefs, stick with their restaurants, much better food..

Poppa

Edited: 05 May 2012, 18:21
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

Thanks for the report. We looked at the Reefs for an upcoming visit in June but no availability so we are staying at the Clairfont Apts. sounds like a beautiful area to stay in.

How was the ocean water, warm enough to enjoy?

USA
Level Contributor
29,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

>>>We looked at the Reefs for an upcoming visit in June but no availability<<<

That's no surprise at all. . June is the most heavily booked month of the entire yearfor Bermuda tourism, with many properties at 100% occupancy...some with long 'waiting lists'. The last two weeks of June are being especially difficult to book, given the annual Bermuda yacht Races and big game fishing tournaments, in addition to the end of the school terms in the US and Canada, destination weddings, honeymoons and general tourism.

The Reefs may have the highest multi-repeat-visit rate of all properties in Bermuda, with many guests making reservations for next year's visit, when checking out from this year's visit.. If you want to book The Reefs during the month of June making your reservation for next June, during your stay at Clairfont this coming June, would probably be a really good idea. Waiting until Novemebr or December may well be too late. Drop in for lunch while you're there, tour the property and check out some of the rooms. Even if they don't have vacant rooms to show you, you can '..look in..' at those that housekeeping may be making up or 'turning' as you stroll around.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

We've read many reports on small and outdated rooms (for tthat price) and understand it's about a higher level of service and location. And they are in the process of renovations I gather. There is also a big promo right now for the larger hotels (the stay 4 nights, get $400 off) is s huge incentive and I know that created an influx of bookings. We didn't know about the promo until 2 months later and by then these hotels were filled.

This 1 week trip was a last minute getaway between a cruise and a trip to Grand Cayman. I will heed your advice though for our next visit to Bermuda, I know we will be returning. We will certainly visit the Reefs this trip and probably drool...

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
USA
Level Contributor
29,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

>>>There is also a big promo right now for the larger hotels (the stay 4 nights, get $400 off) is s huge incentive and I know that created an influx of bookings.<<<

The '..SIZZLING SUMMER..' promotional offer-- gotobermuda.com/travel-deals/… --sponsored by Bermuda Tourism through participating hotels (originally only to run through 04/14/12) has been extended a couple of times and now runs for reservations made through May 31st, for travel through Octobe 31st, 2012--$400 for four(4) nights , $500 five(5) nights, up to $600(6) for six nights.

In past years, a $400 Off promotion has been fairly common. Extending to $600 probably just reflects the effects of higher rates. A few years ago, they offeres a 48 hour/50% Off promotion that was the best I've ever seen for Bermuda.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 17:45
North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,536 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned From The Reefs

The rates at the Reefs and similar resorts there are very high, sticker shock is commonly reported by many travelers in various forums. We won't be staying there without at least a 50% sale because $700/night is just too much for us (I'm estimating the nightly rate based on the $570 + taxes/fees quote, I never asked for the total price at that point). But obviously other folks are able to pay those prices to be there and it must be great service and a very nice spot and we will check it out.