We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few thoughts from Bermuda

annapolis, md
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A few thoughts from Bermuda

We usually stay in hotels, but this time we stayed in a VRBO in St. Georges and have some good tips that will help those who have never been. This was our first trip to Bermuda and we didnt know what to expect.

1. First of all, the bus system is one of the best we've ever seen. We never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus and it takes you to just about every corner of the island. (It can be a bit tiresome if you're on a long route as it stops about every 300 yards) Get the multi day pass. It's well worth it.

2. Our hosts told us about the beaches on St. Davids. We went to clearwater beach and Turtle bay which were nice. However, we went through the gates in Coopers nature reserve and saw some incredible beaches. These had large rock formations close to shore and alot of wildlife. We saw a few people walking around, but it was very private. Absolutely stunning. The only negative, this area is a 15 minute from the nearest bus stop. Use the #6 out of St. George.

3. Elbow beach was pretty typical, but we really enjoyed Jobsons cove and Horseshoe bay. You can hike the trails between those beaches (with great views,) which is just over a mile or so. The best snorkleing was at Tobacco bay, which was convenient, but nothing compared to going on a boat to a full reef.

4. The food, as others say, it expensive. But so are beers and wine. Be preapred to pay $6-7 per beer. We ate at The Swizzle inn and had drinks at the Frog and Onion and everything was ok. The beers at Frog and Onion were the best as they are local brewed. Most of the time, we felt the food was average and there didnt seem to be anything that was special to the island.

5. Crystal and fantasy caves are nice, but short trips and at $27 to see both seemed pricey. If you've never seen a Cenote or cavern in the USA, then go for it. If you have, take a pass. We found the aquarium to be really enjoyable and at $10 per person, well worth it.

Overall, a beautiful island which is perfect for active people. Not so much for foodies or sitting around and drinking all day.

USA
Level Contributor
28,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

>>>...Most of the time, we felt the food was average and there didnt seem to be anything that was special to the island....<<<

Every time I think about the charms of '..local cuisine..', I think of the scene in '..Crocodile Dundee..' where the woman reporter is eating local foods out in the bush and when she asks why he isn't eating any he says, "..Well, you can live on it, but it taste like s___....".

Everything's a trade off.....Paris has better restaurants....Bermuda has better beaches.

2. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2012, 12:34
annapolis, md
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

We also ate at Griffins, White Horse Tavern, Wahoo's and Lighthouse Grill. Lighthouse Grill was the best. The rest, not so much. I feel like I praised the island's beaches and other aspects. It's my opinion the food wasn't the best.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the food in Bermuda, we've never had a "bad" meal there. It's just not anything special to write home about as the saying goes. That being said we enjoy eating out especially if there's a view or the atmosphere is friendly and comfortable. The White Horse makes lovely sandwiches on fresh, different kinds of bread. The Frog and Onion Burger, loaded with bacon and crispy fried onions is excellent. So is their Cornish Pasty and Bangers and Mash. Had calves liver there last week which was very good. The Freeport in the Dockyard does a very good Fisherman's Platter, fish, scallops, shrimp etc which although fried doesn't have a hint of grease. Good liver there, too, at a very reasonable price. Cafe Amici has some very different pizzas, try the chicken curry one.

USA
Level Contributor
28,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

>>>Our food is good you just went to two crappy places that aren't frequented by locals. I guess a Big Mac would have been better.<<<

For the '..humor challenged..' the Crocadile Dundee reference wasn't to Bermudian food in particular, rather to the entirely generic term, '..local cuisine..'.

As for the general quality of food in Bermuda and the places where it may be found, we've dined and eaten in most places in Bermuda, frequented by BOTH local residents and visitors alike and generally found the range to run anywhere from '..just okay..' to '..very good..'. But to discover the UN-deniable truth of the statement, "..Partis has better restaurants...Bermuda has better beaches...Everything's a trade-off..", don't take my word for it....travel to Paris and try both her restaurants and beaches and judge for yourself.

As for Big Macs...I seem to recall an exhaustive, unsuccessful, three(3) year legal battle that ran 'special sauce' through the hallowed halls of Bermuda's Parliment and the judicial chambers of her Supreme Court, led by no less an honored and distinguished Bermudian than Sir John Swan (ex-Premier of Bermuda) trying keep (or return) the popular Big Mac to Bermuda.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

Thanks so much for your thoughts...agree about the beaches - absolutely beautiful!!!

Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

Nothing I can take exception to in your review (there are good places to eat in Bermuda- but lets face it with the demise of many of the Cottage Colonies the number of "wanna be" four star restaurants has declined). The only exception is that Bermuda is probably is a nice place to sit around and drink (I can remember staying at Salt Kettle and setting in Ms. Lowe's green Adirondack Chairs facing the Harbor and pretty much everyone but my wife and I would in the process, in a very classy and careful way, of tying one on!).

Or a good place to veg on the beach and "watch" the ocean, or to rent a whaler, and anchor in a cove in Castle Harbor with a lunch and wine and sit back and watch the traffic or lack there of in Castle Harbor.

Nice overview of the island other than that!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

I like nothing better than sitting on my covered balcony with a book and a cup of coffee. maybe something sweet and whiling away the day. Newspaper in the morning out there with my breakfast, listening to the palm trees rustle and the kiskadees. Watching everyone doing a mad dash for the ferry to go to work. Having our hosts calling out good morning to us as they water plants and do their daily chores. Sit there making vague plans for what we are going to do "later on". Watch the water changing colour, perhaps spot the cruise ship leaving in the distance. Ah bliss!!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

Thanks for the quick report. Where did you stay in St George and what did you like about the accommodations?

The F&G, Swizzle Inn, and White Horse are the 3 primary spots cruisers hit (recommended on the ships as "must-do's). We enjoyed them during our 3 -day stop in Bermuda. But we also knew these were just fun spots to hit with good drinks or sandwiches and not really representative enough to base an overall opinion of Bermuda cuisine on. We're looking forward to the places recommended by everyone on this forum next month (and to the 3 I mentioned as well).

And we are looking forward to a relaxing visit to Bermuda, we go to other areas for a more active experience. Being new to Bermuda I assume there are some activities as anywhere else, but we're just looking forward to that sitting around and taking in the view of the Warwick beaches for this getaway...

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few thoughts from Bermuda

Kinoxl, I want to add that because we had that brief visit to Bermuda and we're learning quite alot prior to this return visit we are armed with more knowledge than you on your first visit. Thanks for the report!